Gransnet forums

Chat

Passports- do all your grandchildren, nephews, nieces

(180 Posts)
Kali2 Wed 19-May-21 08:46:25

have one?

Jannicans Sat 22-May-21 23:01:00

Most Aussies travel a lot? Don't think so.

Callistemon Fri 21-May-21 16:49:46

Kali2

There are very important reasons why any medical professional would not want to give advice on an Internet Forum bar very general advice- without a full history and seeing the patient and recent test results.

I don't think they do generally, but people do ask and suggestions made, usually ending in 'make an appointment with your GP'
Or, in some cases, practical advice may be offered re questions to put to a GP or sites for surgical appliances etc.

I don't think anyone would start offering a diagnosis.

Alegrias1 Fri 21-May-21 16:47:19

Oh I'm not questioning photo ID Riverwalk, I understand that. But its the need to have a passport, specifically that I wonder about.

Bus pass, driving licence, OK, but to say you have to have a passport seems untenable. It seems discriminatory to me.

Riverwalk Fri 21-May-21 16:42:42

Alegrias1

Serious question - how can any airline enforce the requirement to have a passport on people who are travelling within their own country? My parents don't have passports so does that mean they couldn't fly this way?

That can't be right surely?

Not expecting you to know the answer or be responsible for what I assume are Mr O'Leary's rules smile, just a general question.

As far as I know a passport/driving licence is required for security reasons - and I suppose an organisation has the right to stipulate who can/cannot use their facilities.

Anyone can get on a coach or train and travel between say Scotland and England - if they they were terrorists there would be a limit to the damage they could do, compared to a full plane.

Photo ID can be checked by the airline to see if the passenger is on any wanted list.

Kali2 Fri 21-May-21 15:36:45

There are very important reasons why any medical professional would not want to give advice on an Internet Forum bar very general advice- without a full history and seeing the patient and recent test results.

Callistemon Fri 21-May-21 15:31:48

That's OK!

MawBe Fri 21-May-21 15:08:10

Of course Callistemon I should have included them of course.
No shortage of retired and still practising professionals on GN ?

Callistemon Fri 21-May-21 14:36:46

And some doctors’ wives who may be helpful.
And some highly qualified and experienced nurses and other medical professionals.

Callistemon Fri 21-May-21 14:34:48

ONS website, sorry, not NS

Callistemon Fri 21-May-21 14:34:23

Kali2
What I was trying to establish, is what proportion of children who are resident in the UK have passports, and their socio-economic/ethnic profile.

I'm not sure if the ONS would hold this information but it could be a more reliable source than a rather random group of people on an internet forum.

On the NS website this was stated following one enquiry:

Thank you for your request. The latest information we hold regarding passports are from the 2011 Census. We do not hold any more recent information.

www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/datasets/2011censusquickstatisticsforenglandandwalesonnationalidentitypassportsheldandcountryofbirth

We do not hold any information about the number of passports issued. We suggest that you contact HM Passport Office (part of the Home Office), to see what they are able to provide.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-May-21 14:15:14

GillT57

^Have never flown with Mr.O’Leary, nor do I intend to^, as he was running the only airline which covered the route my parents needed, it wasn't possible to be highhanded about it.

My reply was to Alegrias1 I apologise if I offended you, it was not my intention.

(Who knows I may be in a situation one day whereby I have no alternative other than Ryan Air, but it wouldn’t sit comfortably with me, and I would explore every avenue before handing over my £ to him)

GillT57 Fri 21-May-21 13:56:22

Have never flown with Mr.O’Leary, nor do I intend to, as he was running the only airline which covered the route my parents needed, it wasn't possible to be highhanded about it.

Mollygo Fri 21-May-21 13:45:45

GillT57 Agreed.
That’s what the photo said. Check with your airline. Actually, having read this, I’d take one anyway in future, and once Scotland is independent, we’ll need one to get back in by road or rail as well.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-May-21 13:44:48

Alegrias1

Serious question - how can any airline enforce the requirement to have a passport on people who are travelling within their own country? My parents don't have passports so does that mean they couldn't fly this way?

Not expecting you to know the answer or be responsible for what I assume are Mr O'Leary's rules smile, just a general question.

Have never flown with Mr.O’Leary, nor do I intend to.

Passports to board planes have been the norm on internal UK flights for many years, ( I believe since 9/11 terror attacks when airport security airside was tightened) maybe if we had photo ID cards they wouldn’t be necessary?

GillT57 Fri 21-May-21 13:34:12

Mollygo

It’s quite easy to Google for info on this.
I might have needed one until recently because I had no other photo ID. Thank heavens I either drive or go by train to/from Scotland. It may become more essential after the referendum.

Easyjet and other airlines who operate the Stansted to Glasgow or Edinburgh route insist on a passport, as I keep telling you! I don't know why this is so when there is no such requirement for train, car, or boat travel, but I would not recommend turning up at Stansted for the Glasgow flight without one.

Mollygo Fri 21-May-21 13:28:58

It’s quite easy to Google for info on this.
I might have needed one until recently because I had no other photo ID. Thank heavens I either drive or go by train to/from Scotland. It may become more essential after the referendum.

Kali2 Fri 21-May-21 13:28:40

sparkynan

Gannygangan

It was an odd question, Kali2

And it's none of your business!

Harsh bullying response! Ganny, maybe Kali2 could have put at the begining why she was asking! But I thought it was a reasonable question to ask. GNetters don't have to respond if they feel its none of her business.

Thank you. I think if you put reasons for your post, it will influence the responses. I thought it was better to post it as a 'general' question, with the intention to explain my reasons later.

Just find some of the responses here truly harsh, bordering on worse.

Alegrias1 Fri 21-May-21 11:18:51

Jinty64 Fri 21-May-21 11:17:01

None of us have passports. Ds 2 (23) and ds 3 (14) have never had one. Ds1 (25) got one for a school trip years ago but it’s now out of date. We don’t go anywhere we need one.

GillT57 Fri 21-May-21 11:14:49

Alegrias1

Goodness, it was a joke. confused.

Any people wonder why some of us want to leave....

I was simply pointing out that a passport has been needed for some time, as a few seem to be of the opinion that it isn't and I would hate them to be denied boarding as my parents were the first time they booked flights to Glasgow. No need to be so touchy, it was just an attempt to be helpful. Blimey, there are a lot of people who have got out of bed on the wrong side this morning

GillT57 Fri 21-May-21 11:12:26

Gannygangan

Unnecessarily rude reply! You could apply that to every question asked on GN, this is a discussion forum where we ask things and others reply. If it bothers you, feel free to scroll on.

Alegrias1 Fri 21-May-21 11:08:58

Goodness, it was a joke. confused.

Any people wonder why some of us want to leave....

GillT57 Fri 21-May-21 11:07:40

Alegrias1

A passport is not needed to fly from Stansted to Edinburgh.

Not yet, anyway wink

Wrong. My late parents flew on a regular basis to visit my brother in Scotland, from Stanstead and from Southend. Always needed passports as photo id, driving licence not acceptable ( found this out the first time they flew, assuming that as within Uk wouldn't need their passport, this was at least 15 years ago).

sparkynan Fri 21-May-21 11:06:01

Gannygangan

Harsh bullying response! Ganny, maybe Kali2 could have put at the begining why she was asking! But I thought it was a reasonable question to ask. GNetters don't have to respond if they feel its none of her business.

Gannygangan Fri 21-May-21 10:22:36