Gransnet forums

Chat

Passports- do all your grandchildren, nephews, nieces

(180 Posts)
Kali2 Wed 19-May-21 08:46:25

have one?

Kali2 Fri 21-May-21 10:19:14

Fair enough - but then it is fair enough to ask about other 'things' too. The initial post was about how many of our young GCs and nephews, nieces, etc, have passports- and about the proportion of those who do in the UK. A fair question for an Internet Forum, I believe.

MawBe Fri 21-May-21 09:45:26

Sorry, I should have quoted this, to make my reference clear

Quote Kali2 Thu 20-May-21 20:49:53

Surely a group of Internet Grans is NOT the place to ask for medical advice.

MawBe Fri 21-May-21 09:42:35

lemongrove

It is if other GN members have had the same health problems
Or symptoms.It’s a starting point before dashing off to the GP.
I know that many posters have helped each other on the medical threads over the years.

And of course we have some doctors - practising or retired- on GN. I am still grateful for the advice Galen gave me when Paw had what turned out to be his first TIA ?
And some doctors’ wives who may be helpful.
I think most of us are happy to share our own experience if relevant, don’t you?

Callistemon Thu 20-May-21 22:06:59

Kali2

Kali2

The Dales are always gorgeous.

in all weathers- I never mind the rain.

Just dreadful today though, torrential downpours and gale force winds
I'm afraid I'm a fair weather walker but full of admiration for those who endure walking in poor weather.

Well done

lemongrove Thu 20-May-21 21:12:47

What you posted about is quite different Kali but hope that Elliane and others have reassured you now, about the situation.

lemongrove Thu 20-May-21 21:11:15

It is if other GN members have had the same health problems
Or symptoms.It’s a starting point before dashing off to the GP.
I know that many posters have helped each other on the medical threads over the years.

Kali2 Thu 20-May-21 20:49:53

Ellianne

^What I was trying to establish, is what proportion of children who are resident in the UK have passports, and their socio-economic/ethnic profile.^

Why would you want to establish that? It is totally irrelevant.
As a school if we were asked for a breakdown of ethnic groups we would put a red line through the form and write, "no idea, they are children, just that "
Schools do not have to provide that information.

Great, that is how it should be. Hence my concern about the letter copied from the school asking for children, on certain dates, to bring passports- with a clear mention of the rules re immigration changing due to Brexit. I am so glad your school would refuse to participate.

As for asking on Gransnet- I was obviously wrong in thinking this is a group for discussion and sharing information. I see there are pages asking for information and advice on health issues. Surely a group of Internet Grans is NOT the place to ask for medical advice.

lemongrove Thu 20-May-21 20:43:51

Maggiemaybe

^What I was trying to establish, is what proportion of children who are resident in the UK have passports, and their socio-economic/ethnic profile.^

By asking a few random strangers on Gransnet? confused

It makes no sense at all, does it?

lemongrove Thu 20-May-21 20:42:42

Ellianne

Thank you for your apology Alegrias.
On this one the OP was wrong to say, "schools sending letters to parents asking children to bring their passports on a certain day, year by year- in order to check their resident status. Explaining that things have changed since Brexit and that some may no longer have the right to be educated there."
She was definitely making an unnecessary mountain out of a mole hole and i really can't see any of those correcting her expending any great effort or busting a gut.

The OP is laying any business about schools asking for passports at the door of Brexit ...it isn’t, as Ellianne and others have shown.

Maggiemaybe Thu 20-May-21 20:25:04

What I was trying to establish, is what proportion of children who are resident in the UK have passports, and their socio-economic/ethnic profile.

By asking a few random strangers on Gransnet? confused

Ellianne Thu 20-May-21 20:22:01

What I was trying to establish, is what proportion of children who are resident in the UK have passports, and their socio-economic/ethnic profile.

Why would you want to establish that? It is totally irrelevant.
As a school if we were asked for a breakdown of ethnic groups we would put a red line through the form and write, "no idea, they are children, just that "
Schools do not have to provide that information.

Kali2 Thu 20-May-21 20:11:26

Kali2

in all weathers- I never mind the rain.

Yorki Thu 20-May-21 19:58:27

Gannygangan.... Its chucking it down here too, all day hate dull dismal depressing weather, it makes me feel the same way.

Yorki Thu 20-May-21 19:42:37

Mawbe.. I smell a rat too.

Gannygangan Thu 20-May-21 19:39:32

Kali2

What a lovely day walking in the Dales today. Just got back.

I am not very computer/tehno savvy- but the link sent to me by a friend showed a printed copy of the letter, sent to parents. There was no doubt it was real.

It is not just Brexit linked, by Priti P linked and what this Government is currently doing to EU ciitzens living in UK.

So I am happy to admit I am unable to copy the link- but not that I got the wrong end of the stick, sorry.

Good grief!

Where are on earth are your Dales? I'm in the Dales. It's been pouring down non stop here. In fact most of the north of England appears to have endless rain.

I agree you can't be very computer/techno savvy. I'm not either. But I'm well aware that it's very easy to make things look authentic.

I think you probably started this thread to get people outraged about the Government's motives but as the link that you posted pointed out it proves this was never the case

The Department for Education has now reconfirmed its guidance. A spokesperson said: “The guidance is clear – there is no requirement for schools to request a child’s passport or birth certificate”. He insisted the nationality and country of birth data “should be as stated by the parent or guardian”.

Yorki Thu 20-May-21 19:36:46

I find all this rather unsettling. What's going on??

Kali2 Thu 20-May-21 19:29:03

Oofy Thu 20-May-21 19:27:17

A large group of colleagues including several Indian families from the hospital I used to work at in South Wales came unstuck with the Irish travel rules a few years back. They travelled without incident from Fishguard to Rosslare for the day, no paperwork being requested, but then were not allowed on the ferry back as no visas, not being British nationals. I don't recall any problems with passports, though. Maybe they had those with them. Big fuss at the time.

MawBe Thu 20-May-21 19:01:51

Quote Kali2 Thu 20-May-21 17:44:51
What a lovely day walking in the Dales today. Just got back

The Dales must be lovely at this time of year - Spring in all its glory ? ⛰

welbeck Thu 20-May-21 18:38:26

This is Aer Lingus requirements:
Acceptable Identification
If you’re a citizen of Ireland and/or Britain, you need to carry some form of official photo identification in order to be able to fly with us.

Note: To travel between Ireland and Britain with photo identification other than a passport, you must have been born in Ireland or the U.K. and also be a citizen of either country.

The following forms of photo identification are acceptable once they are in date:

Valid passport or Irish passport card
Driver’s licence with photo
International student card
Government issued photo ID cards
Health insurance cards with photo/social security cards with photo
Bus pass with photo
Work ID with photo
Citizens of Ireland and Britain under the age of 16 don’t need a photo ID if travelling with their parent/guardian.

welbeck Thu 20-May-21 18:36:56

GrannyGravy13

welbeck

Tish

Yes, they all do. My youngest got 1 before he was 6 weeks old in order to go to a wedding in Eire....

you don't actually need a passport to go between uk and ireland, it is a common travel area, like going from london to glasgow.
but some airlines require photo i.d. for security reasons.
i think it would be the same if you flew from london to glasgow.

Before COVID-19 we flew to Dublin from London City airport and Edinburgh from Stanstead Airport, passports were required on both occasions.

yes, that's what i said.
but it is because of the airline's requirements, for security.
if you walked to scotland, or went by train or car, from england, you would not need a passport.
same for ireland from uk by car ferry, or walk from belfast.
i used to fly to dublin from london on a whim, didn't have a passport or any photo ID, but was before 9/11.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-May-21 18:25:28

Alegrias1

I was only joking GG13, looking forward to the future when we will be able to use our Scottish passports ?

If that is the result of your referendum, I wish you well (we loved Edinburgh by the way, it was my first visit hopefully not my last)

Alegrias1 Thu 20-May-21 18:20:59

I was only joking GG13, looking forward to the future when we will be able to use our Scottish passports ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-May-21 18:15:37

Alegrias1

A passport is not needed to fly from Stansted to Edinburgh.

Not yet, anyway wink

Sorry Alegrias1 we flew in October 2019, and the only form of identification that the airline would accept was a passport or ID card and being a UK citizen and not having an ID card - no passport = no fly.

Alegrias1 Thu 20-May-21 18:04:22

A passport is not needed to fly from Stansted to Edinburgh.

Not yet, anyway wink