Gransnet forums

Chat

Baking with Stork instead of Butter

(87 Posts)
G1asgowgal Thu 03-Jun-21 16:25:25

Advice required please
I’ve been baking for years but recently I’ve been using flora original and my cakes have turned out a bit greasy I think.
So should I be using butter as some of my friends do or Stork just like my mum did. And if you think Stork please tell me what one is best for sponges, block or soft spread.

Calendargirl Thu 03-Jun-21 16:28:58

Haven’t used Stork for years.

I use either Flora or similar, or butter, depending on how extravagant I feel.

Not checked lately, but Stork was no cheaper than spreads.

Mary Berry always spoke about using ‘baking spread’, so I assumed, maybe wrongly, that wasn’t Stork, as I always think of it as margarine.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 03-Jun-21 16:30:31

My Mum always used Stork, I bought a tub once and inadvertently left it in the car in the sunny airport car park, when we went on holiday, when I got back and opened it it still looked pristine.
I wondered what on Earth went into it to make it that way, nothing natural I assume.
So it’s butter for me every time, not something that’s been processed with chemicals so much that it never goes off.

welbeck Thu 03-Jun-21 16:30:32

why would you want to use stork rather than unsalted butter.
flora is the wrong viscosity, it is too runny.
something able to be cut/sliced at room temperature is better.

Grandmabatty Thu 03-Jun-21 16:31:01

I use butter. I always used Stork in the past until I read that margerine was one genetic step away from plastic! I use spreadable butter for cakes and block butter for biscuits, pancakes etc

Callistemon Thu 03-Jun-21 16:32:41

I usually use butter but sometimes use an oil eg sunflower or rapeseed oil for such cakes as banana and sultana bread which works well.

I used to use Stork years ago and it did give good results but I avoid hydrogenated fats or anything with palm oil now.

Esspee Thu 03-Jun-21 16:44:52

Grandmabatty

I use butter. I always used Stork in the past until I read that margerine was one genetic step away from plastic! I use spreadable butter for cakes and block butter for biscuits, pancakes etc

Just to correct the misinformation. Margarine is made from vegetable oils and water. No relation to plastic at all.

Saying that I don’t use it though I do use spreads (that is any product made from vegetable oil, water and butter) such as Lurpak spreadable.

If it spreads straight from the fridge it’s not butter!

Give me pure butter every time but OH likes the spreadable butter/margarine.

luluaugust Thu 03-Jun-21 16:45:55

I use butter now but Stork was the go to for cakes in the past. Probably done the now AC no good at all! Stork tub soft marg will make a good sponge cake.

Smileless2012 Thu 03-Jun-21 16:47:09

I never use anything but Stork for cakes.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 03-Jun-21 16:52:05

I always use butter.

Callistemon Thu 03-Jun-21 17:06:57

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/easiest_ever_banana_cake_42108

Banana cake with oil.
My banana cakes always sunk in the middle and were heavy before I tried this recipe.

shysal Thu 03-Jun-21 17:17:14

Mary Berry recommends the soft Stork for Baking, which is easy for all-in-one cake mixing. I can't tell the difference between that and butter in the results.

FannyCornforth Thu 03-Jun-21 17:18:43

All I know about Stork is that it used to have fish oil in it, which I always thought odd. I think that it still does, but could be wrong

Manhattan Thu 03-Jun-21 17:19:48

Stork isn't one step away from plastic at all. These are the ingredients:

Vegetable oils in varying proportions: (Rapeseed oil, Palm oil (said to be from sustainable sources), Sunflower)
Water
Salt
Buttermilk
Preservative (Potassium Sorbate)
Acid (Citric Acid)
Emulsifier (Mono and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids)
Flavourings
Vitamins A and D

Stork contains 63 % less saturated fat than butter.

There's a vegan version which omits the buttermilk.

Potassium and sorbic acid are natural compounds used as preservatives in all kinds of foods and cosmetics to hinder the growth of mould.

Glycerides whether mono, di or tri are made from animal or vegetable fats. They are emulsifiers used to bind oil and water and again can be found in many everyday foods.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 03-Jun-21 17:36:54

Butter gives you a better taste and I believe it is healthier. However, stork used to give a lighter cake.

Grandmabatty Thu 03-Jun-21 17:47:18

I stand corrected!

kittylester Thu 03-Jun-21 17:51:11

I use the soft Stork.

Susan56 Thu 03-Jun-21 17:56:32

I find the stork in blocks is fine for baking but have tried the stork in tubs and find it makes the cakes greasy.

Fennel Thu 03-Jun-21 17:57:12

You can also use oil, eg sunflower, for some recipes. specially biscuits. And things like flapjacks.
I never use any fat/oil in sponges.
It's a lot to do with personal taste.

cornishpatsy Thu 03-Jun-21 17:57:26

What a coincidence today I found this Stork cookery book at the back of a drawer.

Witzend Thu 03-Jun-21 18:01:48

I usually use soft Stork For Cakes for sponges - they always turn out well. Mind you that will at least partly be down to my trusty old Kenwood Chef.

ginny Thu 03-Jun-21 18:01:54

I always use soft Stork for sponges and fairy cakes. Use the all in one method and don’t beat for too long. Never have any complains and am often asked to make them for other people.

NotSpaghetti Thu 03-Jun-21 18:04:05

I only use butter but if you use a margarine or other similar product, look out for “partially hydrogenated” as this means it will have trans-fats in and should be avoided.

Talullah Thu 03-Jun-21 18:07:07

Butter!

grannyactivist Thu 03-Jun-21 18:21:57

I had a visit from my Chinese family two days ago, the husband and wife run a Chinese takeaway with a side offer of special occasion cakes and I have to say the cake he brought me almost floated away in my hand. It was so indescribably light that I begged him for the recipe and was very surprised to discover it’s made with vegetable oil.

For baking I always use butter or oil depending on the recipe.

For info on the margarine/plastic issue:
www.encyclopedia.com/daily/is-it-true-that-margarine-is-almost-plastic/