Gransnet forums

Chat

babies

(99 Posts)
earnshaw Thu 03-Jun-21 18:08:41

congratulations to the various members of little mix ladies who all seem to be having babies at the same time. And I know this makes me sound old fashioned but doesnt anyone actually bother getting married before starting a family anymore ?

Callistemon Sat 05-Jun-21 09:42:21

Well!!
FannyCornforth!
Robbie leaving Take That didn't mean a death knell for the group!
How very dare you.

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Jun-21 09:47:43

Callistemon it was never the same though, was it?
I was a Howard girl myself

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Jun-21 09:48:41

Sorry Callistemon - I forgot my grin to your comment smile

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Jun-21 09:49:41

Oh can we do favourite Spice Girl, and favourite Thatter?

Callistemon Sat 05-Jun-21 09:53:10

Favourite Spice Girl - Sporty
She's a lovely girl

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Jun-21 09:55:37

She certainly is, definitely the best of the bunch.
At the time I thought that Victoria was the most attractive. I was very disappointed when she had breast implants.

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Jun-21 09:56:50

Disappointed in her, I mean, in a feminist way. I realise that I sounded a bit pervy now. Oh dear...

Redhead56 Sat 05-Jun-21 09:57:46

Wooden spoon and everyone rises to it!

mumofmadboys Sat 05-Jun-21 09:57:47

Victoria would be so much better looking if she smiled. She appears very surly

Ellianne Sat 05-Jun-21 10:10:06

The little mix girls are an interesting bunch. One has just done a documentary about being black in the white pop music business, one has spoken about her weight and the nastiness she has encountered, one had a messy break up and wrote lyrics all about it and one appears normal.
What I think needs looking at is how teenagers are often artificially manufactured into stars on these silly shows and is it then good for them?

Ellianne Sat 05-Jun-21 10:11:34

Geri H for my spice girl vote.

Parsley3 Sat 05-Jun-21 10:17:24

Oh earnshaw you are naughty.

Grammaretto Sat 05-Jun-21 10:24:25

I am weirdly fascinated by the modern attitudes to marriage.
In my day - 1960s - we got married, simply and as cheaply as we could because we were saving for a house and there was no question of having babies before marriage. Marriage vows meant a lot.
1970s - My DB moved to Scandinavia where it was common for babies to arrive before marriage.
1980s I began to know couples who had children and then married, DB included.

Fast forward to our own DC . They still wanted to marry first but the wedding itself took centre stage. I was shown a wedding catalogue by DiL with prices in the ££k. This made me gasp in horror but they were earning and paid for it themselves.
Despite the huge weddings they are still together grin
DD's wedding took years to pay off and they still haven't bought a house.
Not all our DC married, or if he did he didn't tell us and they have DC.
As for bringing up DC on your own? No, never by choice. A bad idea.

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Jun-21 10:25:19

mumofmadboys

Victoria would be so much better looking if she smiled. She appears very surly

She's got an absolutely beautiful smile.
For some reason she hates it.
It might be because she looks very sweet and girly, and that isn't the look that she's aiming for.
It's a shame really. You've got to wonder it there's a bit of bodydismorphia going on.
Most, if not all, of the Spice Girls have admitted to having been anorexic.

Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 10:31:44

Fanny - I have a few strong opinions on their stage wear.
Actually, this has set me thinking ...... I've started another thread about the music industry and young people!

Lucca Sat 05-Jun-21 10:59:24

Parsley3

Oh earnshaw you are naughty.

It naughty just bad mannered.

Lucca Sat 05-Jun-21 11:02:38

Typo sorry.
Not naughty....

timetogo2016 Sat 05-Jun-21 11:35:49

The majority of couples i know who have children are not married.
Years ago it was frowned upon,and the attitude of you should be married first.
A marriage certificate and a ring doesn`t mean happily ever after as we know only too well.
If they are happy,thats all that matters.
And i too think they will be good mothers,and no money worries is a god send.

Ilovecheese Sat 05-Jun-21 11:40:20

I wonder if these sorts of threads are started in order to paint the older generation in a bad light, or to try and sell some sort of story to the press about how old fashioned older people are. They are all started with the same sort of theme.

Grammaretto Sat 05-Jun-21 11:51:06

Oh dear, really? Ilovecheese That's depressing.
I fall for it, every time.

PaperMonster Sat 05-Jun-21 12:58:01

I’ve been married twice and will not bother again - I just do not like it. Me and my daughter’s father are not married. It does always amaze me that many of her friends used to assume that I’m married to her dad!

PaperMonster Sat 05-Jun-21 12:59:04

Oh and re the Spice Girls, I never really had a fave but after her stint in Jesus Christ Superstar I have a huge appreciation of Sporty.

Newatthis Sat 05-Jun-21 13:23:59

I woke up this morning thinking I was still in the year 2021 but did something happen during the night because I now think that I have been transported back to the 50"s. With divorce being at an all time high and children living in multiple families (many of whom are very happy and well cared for) should we be more concerned about parents commitment to their children and not whether they are married or not.

kittylester Sat 05-Jun-21 16:49:48

Lots of random thoughts -

Gary is my favourite Thatter - but is getting a bit over exposed nowadays.

I Gerry is my favourite Spice Girl though I think Sporty has the best voice.

Little Mix are brilliant - feisty, kind and their records are good. My non- son in law was amazed that I knew who Little Mix were.

I have 2 daughters who have had children out of wedlock!!!! One of them also had 2 while she was married to a narcissist- I know which way round I would prefer it.

Kandinsky Sat 05-Jun-21 16:57:56

I have 2 daughters who got married before having children - I’m really thankful for that.
I don’t care how old fashioned I sound but I’d have hated them to be unmarried mothers.
I’d never have a child with a man who didn’t want to marry me and I’m so glad they’re the same.