Gransnet forums

Chat

Is the music industry failing youngsters?

(71 Posts)
Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 10:30:41

It seems to me the music industry is failing the younger age group 10-14. I watched the Brit Awards, and all I saw were Tramps and Tarts plus lots of swearing.

It's either:
- slow depressing songs of misery and angst
- rapping black boys singing goodness knows what
- girl groups who look like strippers

Where are the Kylies and Jasons, Rick Astleys, Bay City Rollers, Monkees, all the fun groups that used to be around for young teenagers? As far as I can see the music industry is failing to provide happy bubble gum music for the 10-14 age group, thus forcing them to listen to what is adult music.

Correct me if I’m wrong, please do, because I’m feeling so sorry for youngsters of today who seem to be missing out on happy music.

Deedaa Sat 05-Jun-21 14:27:11

I recently watched a bit of film of Bessie Smith performing in the sort of dress she might have worn to the office. It reminded me that there was a time when it was the voice that mattered, not how much skin you were revealing.

Kate1949 Sat 05-Jun-21 14:41:17

It wasn't until I read some autobiographies of some of the famous people from the '60s that I realised the extent of the drug taking and debauchery. I was a very innocent at the time.
Keith Richards' book is unbelievable. I read Pattie Boyd's, who detailed the extent of Eric Clapton's drug and drink abuse. I also read Marianne Faithful's. How they are still here is beyond me. Squeaky clean they were not.

Jaxjacky Sat 05-Jun-21 14:41:47

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHI8X4OXluQ

Well this one cheered me up last year and still does, The Weeknd

Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 14:57:56

I realise the past was littered with sex, drug and alcohol abuse, but there were usually artists that could cheer young people up. I'm not surprised today's youngsters are suffering from depression and anxiety. Just listening to some of the music is enough to send you over the edge.
I took a peek at three songs by Billie Eilish. I don't know what they were about but the sound of her voice was depressing enough. It's not really singing, she sounds like someone with a hangover.

Ellianne Sat 05-Jun-21 15:11:37

I used to find the Carpenters' songs mildly depressing for some reason.
The tragic death of Karen Carpenter goes to show just how much artists were under the same sort of pressures even decades ago.

Artaylar Sat 05-Jun-21 15:46:23

I seem to remember that Pans People could be pretty raunchy too at times.

While it does seem that times that the music industry has too much steer on the music young people are able to access, just like 'back in the day' there will be plenty of young people who will reject the 'commercial pap' and find alternative sounds - both contemporary and not so contemporary - that they want to listen too.

A digital radio station called Radio Paradise can be a great way of discovering new sounds both new and not so new, and You Tube a great way of following up any bands of interest.

muse Sat 05-Jun-21 16:28:30

Chestnut

Muse can you suggest a decent song by Billy Eilish? I'd like to take a look/listen on You Tube. I seem to remember her singing some depressing song and I couldn't make it through to the end! Has she written anything fairly happy?

I took a peek at three songs by Billie Eilish. I don't know what they were about but the sound of her voice was depressing enough. It's not really singing, she sounds like someone with a hangover.

By decent you are meaning fairly happy lyrics? Can't help you Chestnut. She writes sad songs. Music through the years has help me survive many times. I enjoy both happy and sad songs. Above all I prefer lyrics with meaning.

Her styles changes each year as does her lyrics. I played her song 'Everything I wanted' today and it made me think of how why my DGD likes this artist. My DGD has had a tough two years at school, come through the worst and now helping a friend who's struggling.

Some of the most saddest songs have become all time favourites: Yesterday ?

muse Sat 05-Jun-21 16:29:36

help helped

Ellianne Sat 05-Jun-21 16:45:37

Some ofthemost saddest songs have become all time favourites:Yesterday?

Without you, Harry Nilsson

Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 17:05:35

I agree many sad songs have been classics but unless I'm feeling down myself I think it's better to listen to something uplifting to cheer the spirits, not wallow in grief. Especially for 10-14 year olds, not an age when you want to be made miserable.

Ellianne Sat 05-Jun-21 17:08:34

Chestnut

I agree many sad songs have been classics but unless I'm feeling down myself I think it's better to listen to something uplifting to cheer the spirits, not wallow in grief. Especially for 10-14 year olds, not an age when you want to be made miserable.

I agree.

Happy, Pharrell Williams

Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 17:26:34

Doing this will cheer the kids up!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkaJrzd6-hw

trisher Sat 05-Jun-21 17:41:56

Chestnut

Doing this will cheer the kids up!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkaJrzd6-hw

OMG that would so have depressed me. I'm generally uncoordinated get totally confused when I have to follow steps and between 13 and 16was probably the unhappiest I have ever been in my life. If someone had made me do that I would have simply hidden. I still have painful memories of country dance lessons and I was so grateful when I could stop tryingto jive with someone and simply dance on my own.
Anyway sad songs make you feel better- Leonard Cohen. Tom Waits, Lou Reed. The Blues are good for you doesn't matter how old you are.
To counter that awful dance Leonard Cohen and Dance me to the end of Love Much better for you www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zjLBWnZGTU

Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 17:50:19

Well the dance kids were pre-teen and I guess it was all about keeping fit during the school day which is never a bad thing. I doubt anyone would manage it in this country anyway, we are not usually so adept at group work on this scale.

Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 17:52:40

Trisher I had my Leonard Cohen period and listened a lot at the age of 18 or so, but not for 10-14 year olds!

BlueBelle Sat 05-Jun-21 17:56:20

I was definitely a ‘baddun’ watching Elvis and his amazing pelvis, Rolling Stones with their ‘tongues’ Englebert splitting his trousers, the very very camp Liberace and Jerry Lee Lewis marrying a 13 year old not to mention Chuck Berry with his Dinga ling Tom Jones with girls throwing their panties on the stage and girls in itsy Betsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikinis
Oh yes the good old days Some of you have short memories
???
We were obviously a doomed generation to our parents who grew up with glen Miller and the inkspots

Talullah Sat 05-Jun-21 18:07:17

I have been a lover of Leonard Cohen for many years. However, the beautiful song, Dance me to the End of Love was inspired by the Holocaust and is quite tragic. It is beautiful but desperately sad.

So yes, sad songs sell well but some songs are just more than sad.

Talullah Sat 05-Jun-21 18:09:06

Also does anyone remember Je T'aime? Or Donna Summer and her Love to Love You Baby. And what about My Ding a Ling?

Talullah Sat 05-Jun-21 18:10:59

Sorry, BlueBelle, I see you mentioned Chuck's Ding a Ling. I used to think The Streak by Ray Stevens was hilarious. Get your clothes on, Ethel.

SueDonim Sat 05-Jun-21 20:20:28

I wish I’d been Leonard Cohen’s lover! grin I saw him in 2013 at the O2 and he was wonderful.

On the topic, I’m not really up to date with modern stuff but music has always had an edgy tinge to it. Think of George Formby (well before my time!) and his songs. Then we had Jimmy Saville hosting the likes of happy chappies such as Jonathan King and Gary Glitter on Top of the Pops. The old times from innocent.

In some ways, parents have an advantage today in that they can educate their children on this.