Gransnet forums

Chat

Floods in Europe

(11 Posts)
ayse Fri 16-Jul-21 18:12:28

I feel for all those caught up in this. It must be time to do far more to halt climate change?

It’s awful being flooded out. I know we’ve had our share but the BBC has a map that shows the extent of the current floods. So much of Northern European is affected.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57858829

Blossoming Fri 16-Jul-21 18:24:30

It was time to do more years ago. Many countries have suffered catastrophic weather related events long before this.

MerylStreep Fri 16-Jul-21 18:34:25

ayse
What can we do when the Amazon forest which was once called the lungs of our planet is now emitting more CO2 than it absorbs
I’m afraid we have passed the point of no return. When you read how quick this catastrophe can happen it makes covid look like a case of the sniffles.

Esspee Fri 16-Jul-21 18:57:06

It really doesn’t matter what this country does while China, USA, India and the like continue to pollute with no attempt to reduce emissions.
We now have zero coal fired power stations, China has 1,082 in operation and is still building more.
We produce 1% of the world’s CO2 emissions, China 28%, USA 15%, India 7%.

Katie59 Fri 16-Jul-21 19:05:27

My OH drove back from Poland through that storm on Wednesday night, he had to pull over and sit it out for 4 hours, arrived back home next lunchtime not having heard how bad it was behind him.
Lucky guy

MerylStreep Fri 16-Jul-21 19:08:52

EssPee
Meanwhile, a little closer to home: 84 coal fired power stations.

www.powermag.com/germany-brings-last-new-coal-plant-online/

Whatdayisit Fri 16-Jul-21 19:09:58

It's tragic that so many people have lost their lives - everybody so helpless against nature.

MoorlandMooner Fri 16-Jul-21 21:01:51

We might have zero coal fired power stations, but right now EDF, with our government's approval, are building a nuclear power station that is consuming huge amounts of concrete. Lorry after lorry of concrete driven to rural Somerset and poured into a hole.

Concrete is the third biggest producer of man made CO2 on earth.

www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/local-news/hinkley-point-concrete-pour-record-3040157

ayse Fri 16-Jul-21 21:05:52

MerylStreep

ayse
What can we do when the Amazon forest which was once called the lungs of our planet is now emitting more CO2 than it absorbs
I’m afraid we have passed the point of no return. When you read how quick this catastrophe can happen it makes covid look like a case of the sniffles.

I’m hoping you are mistaken but I agree with you in my heart of hearts. It’s frightening for our children and grandchildren.

Kali2 Fri 16-Jul-21 21:11:59

I agree that this is probably the case.

Find it hugely sad and disappointing that many people just use this as an excuse to do nothing, and accept that nothing is being done. Après moi le déluge type. We will never be forgiven, that is for sure.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 23-Jul-21 14:25:59

I think these latest floodings have been a wake-up call for many of the people, polilticians and others, who either believe that nothing can be done, or that nothing needs to be done.

Anything we can do to limit pollution will make a difference, it may only be slight, but it will help, especially if we conciously try to make others aware of the need and of what they can do.

Far to often I hear people saying, "What can I do as an individual? It's up to the politicians, the government, the EU etc. etc.)

What we all can do is to stop wasting water, electricity, driving unless we absolutely have to - most of us are still fit enough to walk or ride a bike, aren't we?

Obviously, some of the steps we should be taking such as avoiding plastic are more difficult than just using waste water to water the garden, but most of us can find the time to do something to halt climate change.

We are three families within a nieghbourhood that have stopped mowing the lawns in their entirety, but are leaving shrubberies and areas of grass to return to nature. We started this three years ago, and this summer we can see that there are more birds, bees, insects, hedgehogs and wild flowers around.