Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you all check your receipts before leaving a store?

(24 Posts)
Welshy Sun 18-Jul-21 04:13:11

Yesterday I purchased several items in a store. On checking my receipt I noticed a transaction of an item I hadn't purchased nor was it in my bag. I was able to query this and got my money back.

Mollygo Sun 18-Jul-21 05:22:31

Yes I do. Now they ask if I want my receipt and I always say yes, even though it uses more paper. Mostly there’s no problem, but accidentally moving things across the scanner twice, or the till not registering a meal deal makes a difference. Yesterday was best though; one pack of 12 toilet rolls appeared twice!
Assistant near door, “Oh I don’t know how that happened. If you queue up again and tell him, he’ll sort it for you!”
I politely requested that she check my shopping and provide the refund if she wanted me to move out of the way.

H1954 Sun 18-Jul-21 05:56:11

I use one of those scanners for my weekly shop, not only does this prevent the check out staff making any mistakes but I can also keep a check on how much I'm spending.
However, a visit to a local garden centre earlier in the year did result in an overcharge of £10! We didn't notice until we got back home and by then it was too late. Needless to say, we won't be going back there.

Maggiemaybe Sun 18-Jul-21 06:30:22

We were overcharged recently at a restaurant. A large glass of wine we hadn’t had was added to the bill - £7.95. I’d have checked that but someone else was paying and didn’t notice till later.

Calendargirl Sun 18-Jul-21 06:57:11

No, I don’t check my receipts before leaving the store, but do when I get home. If there is a mistake, Tesco have always been good about refunding when I go back.

For a shop with just an odd item or two, I do check before leaving the shop.

Kim19 Sun 18-Jul-21 07:06:37

Yes always. My background is in finance which, I suppose, makes me a creature of habit. I regularly find small errors but, when I point them out, I've had no problem with receiving redress thus far. I think the pressure checkout operators are under makes it somewhat inevitable.

Marydoll Sun 18-Jul-21 07:15:30

I always check mine, before I leave the shop.. Often I have reduced items in my shopping (serial bargain hunter) and sometimes the reduction doesn't come off.
Recently I bought a reduced item in Next and found I had been charged for three of the item, instead of one! I went straight back to rectify it, otherwise it's not a bargain! wink

Scentia Sun 18-Jul-21 07:17:44

I always add my basket up as I go around a shop, I always have it keeps my brain active!! I have made myself look silly sometimes if I asked them to check the balance and realise my mental arithmetic is not as good as it was!!!

MawBe Sun 18-Jul-21 07:30:39

Yes I do, why wouldn’t you, but not in that “staring at the receipt, glasses pushed up the nose “ way that makes you look about 100.
Like Kim19 I have always mentally totted things up as I went along - no unpleasant shocks at the till, but actually now always use a handheld scanner in the supermarket so that I know exactly what it comes to.
I do however still take a paper receipt in case I have an issue with a product.

NotAGran55 Sun 18-Jul-21 07:32:57

No I don’t , because like Scentia I know before paying how much the bill should be in general shops .
I self-scan the weekly grocery shop.

tanith Sun 18-Jul-21 07:38:32

Self scanning here too I only check it to make sure all myclubcard discounts have been taken off.

M0nica Sun 18-Jul-21 07:55:14

I am another who knows roughly what the total should be and only check it if I think it is inacccurate.

I cannot risk using those scanning devices, I could not trust myself to remember to scan everything.

Marydoll Sun 18-Jul-21 08:12:52

I was a bit wary of using self scanners, but after being advised to use them, as a shielder, rather than queue at the checkout. I have found them a godsend.
It also means I don't get stressed with DH, who takes forever to unload items on the belt, usually oblivious to the tutting from the queue behind him, as he dithers! blush

I am another one, who adds mentally and have a rough idea, but I still can't help checking, even the self scan ones.
Self scanning is not perfect, when it comes to reduced items. Sometimes the change hasn't been updated on the system..

Oh dear, I sound like a cheapskate! It's just that I love to bag a bargain!!!

NotAGran55 Sun 18-Jul-21 08:28:56

Monic why don’t you try self scanning with just a few items on a quiet afternoon to build up your confidence? You might be amazed smile

I have used it for over 20 years since it first started and would love to know how many weeks of my life I have saved by not queuing and double handling everything.

We had a bonus many years ago in a new branch when we had just moved house. The scanner wouldn’t register at the till and the shopping had to be put through manually afterwards.

We were given the week’s family shop for free because ‘ It’s called Quick Check madam and it wasn’t for you’

NotAGran55 Sun 18-Jul-21 08:29:29

Oops M0nica

Grandmajean Sun 18-Jul-21 08:30:43

Guilty of not checking - ever !
I do, however, check hotel bills as ,many years ago , we took the children for a treat to a London hotel on a package type break.
DH was paying the bill when I noticed that not only had they charged the two nights B and B for the four of us ( legitimate ) but had charged the return train journey to Crewe for all of us TWICE ! DH hates making a fuss and hadn't noticed. I wasn't convinced it was a mistake as there had been a couple of other sneaky charges.

Welshy Sun 18-Jul-21 08:49:13

Calendargirl 'Tesco have always been good about refunding when I go back' How can you prove you didn't purchase the item after you left the store?
I use Scan & Go at the supermarket too but I still check my receipt. The error that was made yesterday was at Home Bargains.

FindingNemo15 Sun 18-Jul-21 09:02:14

Welshy I like Home Bargains, but you do have to check their receipts. I have found a couple of duplicate over charged items.

Mollygo Sun 18-Jul-21 09:14:43

I always use the self scan in Asda and my phone to scan in Sainsbury’s and M&S but sometimes it doesn’t recognise the ‘reduced’ bar code.
Aldi and Lidl and the local supermarket near us don’t have self scan yet.

Visgir1 Sun 18-Jul-21 09:42:05

I agree with Grandmajean I'm not the best at till receipts, but Hotel bills we do check. Been over charged about 5 times over the years so always ask for the bill the night before we leave.

nadateturbe Sun 18-Jul-21 09:52:56

I don't check food shopping receipts but after reading this thread I will. I check hotel receipts.
However I will try self scan. It sounds good. Although I think we will go back to deliveries for now as covid cases increase.

Redhead56 Sun 18-Jul-21 09:53:58

I check it as I walk from the till and before I pass customer service otherwise it’s a pain having to going back to the shop.

Chewbacca Sun 18-Jul-21 10:02:40

Yes, I check every receipt, every time I shop. I do a mental calculation as to how much I think the bill should be as I'm unloading it and so have a rough idea of what I've spent and so overcharging is quickly spotted.

Nonogran Sun 18-Jul-21 10:52:23

I always check receipts.
Morrison’s charged me for 24 cucumbers! There was only 1 in my bag. They refunded me for all 24 so my only one was in effect free.
A Morrison’s manager told me an item was £3.50 (no price on shelf) but checkout rang up much more than that. I mentioned to till assistant what manager had said (had to describe him) and got it for free!
Restaurant charged £17 for a bottle of wine we didn’t have. 3 months later, yes three months later, I came across the receipt. I rang restaurant who said “come in & we’ll sort it out”. Two weeks later I was able to do that & got my £17 back!!
I always check receipts. Always!