Gransnet forums

Chat

Is the heatwave hotter than the summer of 1976?

(188 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Wed 21-Jul-21 23:00:50

Is the heatwave hotter than the summer of 1976 or is it just that we were all a lot younger then?

annifrance Sat 24-Jul-21 21:08:51

It was as hot and lasted for weeks. We had just moved into a new build and laid a lawn in April as had other residents in the small enclave. Our lawns stayed green and others thought we were watering madly. It turned out that this development had been built over an underground stream!

My son was 18 months old and at the end of May we spent a week in Bath with my in laws, it was cold and wet. We then spent the next week at my aunt's house in Sidmouth. The heatwave started on the Sunday and we had the most wonderful week by the sea.

We came home to Suffolk and it just went on and on. I didn't mind it at first but got pregnant at the end of July and immediately started morning sickness. I just remember really grim hot days with a toddler feeling like death. I was persuaded to go to visit my ex husbands grandparents in Blackpool. It was a horrendous drive ending up with a puncture on the M6 at midnight. FiL drove to get myself and son and took us to Blackpool, husband arrived at 3am after the AA came to his rescue.

I will never go to Blackpool again. All I remember is interminable heat, the smell of raw sewage littering the beach and fish and chips. Coming home I drove in tandem with my in laws. Passing through Staffordshire on the M6 the whole road was covered in smoke from the many fires in that area. And a horrible accident. I arrived in the Cotswolds to stay with friends feeling a total wreck and very sick. The next day the weather broke, I think it was August bank holiday.

On arriving home I learnt that one of my friend's twins had died a cot death while I was away. She told me that the day of her funeral in Suffolk in early June it has snowed!

So that summer started really well and then became a nightmare I remember to this day!

Hollycat Sun 25-Jul-21 03:56:00

The summer of ‘76 was BOILING! This is nothing like it. We had the ladybird plague then too, remember? As you sat on the beach or anywhere in the open they would land on you. People thought they were going to be bitten, but it turned out the ladybirds were just as hot as the rest of us and were thirsty - they were attracted to drink sweat!

Quilty Sun 25-Jul-21 11:47:44

We got married in June 1976....it rained. The next day the heatwave started. DH and I will never forget that year!!!

Nvella Sun 25-Jul-21 14:59:28

grannyrebel7

I can remember that when it did finally rain my friends and I went outside and danced in it. Happy days! I don't remember it being hotter than this heatwave though.

I remember doing this too. It was so wonderful to have the rain!!

annodomini Sun 25-Jul-21 16:08:18

I am old enough to remember my first heatwave. It was 1947, the summer after one of the longest, coldest winters on record. My aunt and uncle, home on leave from Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia), bought a huge inflatable rubber dingy and set it up on my granny's croquet lawn. We three and our cousins, all girls, had a wonderful time splashing about and the dads got in on the act. It was the first time I'd seem my dad in swimming trunks; he had, until then, worn a bathing costume of a kind that has never been seen since! I don't remember how long it lasted or how high the temperature went, after all I was only 6, but a lovely summer like that was a wonderful treat for us and our parents.

M0nica Sun 25-Jul-21 21:02:10

Hotter, but much shorter. 1976, the heatwave was months long.

Craftycat Mon 26-Jul-21 18:52:56

No the earlier one was much hotter. I had a new baby & keeping him cool was really difficult. I absolutely love the hot weather & I am brown as a Berry right now.

Gabrielle56 Wed 25-Aug-21 15:48:32

I married#1 H in 1976 and nope! It's not hotter or dryer. It didn't rain for about 6/7weeks the WHOLE country we a. Town frazzled mess Andi remember the banking on side of M way going to Watford spontaneously combusted whilst we sat in a jam, and the tarmac melting with lorries getting stuck in gummy roads!! I know I slept ok as I was usually sozzled (19)! Or only neede about 5 hours max!! I married on 9.10.76 ........ The first drizzly wet dull day for months!!( Should've taken the hint!!!)

Gabrielle56 Wed 25-Aug-21 15:51:06

OMG! yes I forgot the ladybirds, got bitten terribly walking through a cloud of them before I realized what they were!!

Gabrielle56 Wed 25-Aug-21 16:00:20

Me and pal went to Torquay for 2 weeks ( wakes weeks!) In July/August and 2nd week SO hot I got sunburned so dark it stayed until end sept and I went to doctor thinking I'd turned permanently brown!!! Everyone thought we'd been to Carribbean! I've never been so tanned-even when I did go! And the sunscreen I used? Johnson's baby oil!!!!

Gabrielle56 Wed 25-Aug-21 16:00:50

This in 1975!

Elusivebutterfly Thu 26-Aug-21 10:32:50

Figures show that 2018 was hotter than 1976. Personally I was never bothered by the heat in 1976 but nowadays I struggle to cope.