Gransnet forums

Chat

advice please

(71 Posts)
joanna12 Thu 22-Jul-21 08:41:39

Yesterday my husband painted our garden fence while i was out all good,but later the neighbour from behind us came across because she had fence paint specks on her gazebo the framework to it and on her brand new patio set chair cushions.He offered to go over and hopefully clean the paint off but she said she was just telling him in case it wouldn't come off the cushions etc,she was washing them one at a time because they were new and very expensive.This morning i can still see specks on the gazebo and the curtain that goes around it,i havent seen the neighbour the fence is 6ft and until yesterday we have never spoken,my husband will go around later and if i hear her in the garden this morning i will ask her how the cushions are etc,but i would like so advice please feel awful this happene. He parted used a sprayer to paint which he hasnt before,we accept it is his fault obviously and don't want to fall out with the neighbour,even though we have never spoken they are at the bottom of our garden,i have just stressed all night worrying about this.Thank you

welbeck Mon 26-Jul-21 20:26:49

Joanna, re insurance premiums, do ring around for competitive quotes when the renewal notice comes in.
so many people, esp older people just accept the figure from their current insurer, and it ranks up enormously over time.
there are often offers for new customers, so it makes sense to ring the changes.

Dinahmo Mon 26-Jul-21 18:22:49

janipans

Just for info - As an ex-insurance claims handler, if insurers consider item/s to be a "total loss" and replace it/them, they are entitled to have the damaged item/s as "salvage" in order to use/sell and recoup part of their outlay.

We bought a very expensive Italian sofa and armchair covered in silk tweed that was damaged by smoke followed by smokey water from the firemens' hoses. They were in the showroom of a company belonging to the mother of a friend. She got the insurance less about £100 which we gave her. The furniture dried out, there was very little damage from the smoke and I washed those covers that were loose. We were all very pleased.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 26-Jul-21 18:00:13

Hope it all settles down for you now.

joanna12 Mon 26-Jul-21 17:49:38

Hello.We are still waiting for the neighbour to call over.Her husband called last night he was very decent about it,said she was going to get a few quotes for having it recovered as it's not available anymore plus we will have to buy a set of curtains for his gazebo as there are specks on that and then that is it.

I did ring the insurance but we are not covered was told they would need to make a claim on their insurance and their company would make a claim against us.It was our fault so we want to put this right for the asap so we will pay the bill whatever it is[hopefully not to much]and learn a lesson my husband feels bad enough as it is so just hope we can settle it.

Thank you all so much you have been really kind.x

Granless Mon 26-Jul-21 13:36:38

Same thing happened to me. Neighbour, young woman, painting/staining her side of fence ... I had a white wash on line ... need I say more ?. I didn’t say a word to her - just settled for speckled whites.

Hetty58 Mon 26-Jul-21 10:41:54

I've claimed, successfully, on my insurance for similar damage to furniture from a neighbour's sprayer.

I do wish people would understand that it's ok to paint your own fences - but illegal to paint your 'side' of a neighbour's fence!

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 26-Jul-21 10:33:53

Wilkipa. You need to start your own thread. Go to forums, and pick an appropriate group, eg ‘ ask a gran’. There will be a ‘ start a discussion’ box.

Wilkipa Mon 26-Jul-21 08:41:14

Hi everyone. Would love to here opinions on this situation. My son moved to China for work leaving behind a six year old son. The mother had already found another partner before he left and has had a further two children. My son has found a new girlfriend over in China they have just had a baby. Communication with his son has been intermittent and he could have done better. He wants to tell his son he has a new half sister and include him but the mother thinks he shouldn’t know as this would unsettle him. My grandson did have problems when my son went to China and was quite upset but has since settled down. Should this information be denied? When is the right time to tell him?

Caleo Mon 26-Jul-21 08:26:10

Granny Rebel if my neighbour's paint spoiled my new fence that cost me £1,500 I'd be seriously annoyed.

Caleo Mon 26-Jul-21 08:23:40

Your husband should pay the neighbour the full cost of any of her stuff he has damaged through his thoughtlessness and stupidity..

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 26-Jul-21 08:18:10

Aww bless you. This really isn’t a big deal in the bigger scheme of things, but I do understand. You’re obviously very concerned, and that’s admirable, but you’ll make yourself ill, and it’s only garden furniture.

Please use your insurance if you can. It’s what it’s for. Your neighbours don’t seem to be hassling you, or being confrontational in any way?

Just relax, it will be fine?

Elizabeth1 Mon 26-Jul-21 08:11:17

Try not to worry it’ll just get you more grey hairs winkI would suggest asking your neighbours what would make them happy, sorry, but it’s a costly mistake especially if your insurance cover doesn’t help out. Lesson learned, no more worry now it’s soon going to be yesterday’s news. Hope your neighbours can be pacified with you asking what solution would be acceptable to them. Take care and no more spray painting. smile

Elegran Mon 26-Jul-21 07:46:38

Insurers expect people to claim a reasonable number of times before they put up the premium. There may be something in your terms and conditions which tells you what they class as reasonable. If there isn't, ring them to ask. It shouldn't go up after just one claim - and you don't sound like people who would put in lots of claims.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 26-Jul-21 07:08:18

Perhaps the manufacturers could give advice on cleaning. Either the manufacturers of the patio set or try the helpline for the paint company either by googling their website or there used to be a number on the tin.

grannyrebel7 Sun 25-Jul-21 22:11:02

My DH painted our side of the garden fence brown. Unbeknownst to him our neighbours had painted their side green. The brown paint went through in lots of places spoiling their green side. They were very understanding about it thankfully and painted over the brown bits. These things happen. I'm sure it'll get sorted joanna12. Try not to stress about it.

Riggie Sun 25-Jul-21 21:38:47

The patio set is no longer available,because of lockdown etc not much left in garden furniture so i don't know what they want to do it is up to them as long as we can put them back to where they were before

Maybe they can make do for now and you replace the items when some become available?

janipans Sun 25-Jul-21 17:33:52

Just for info - As an ex-insurance claims handler, if insurers consider item/s to be a "total loss" and replace it/them, they are entitled to have the damaged item/s as "salvage" in order to use/sell and recoup part of their outlay.

JaneJudge Sun 25-Jul-21 16:09:34

Joanna, you have to go in your own garden. Your husband made a mistake, it was an accident, you've apologised how many times? offered to help clean, offered to take to dry cleaners, left your address and number, offered money. Please stop worrying about it! You sound like good neighbours, it will all sort itself out

joanna12 Sun 25-Jul-21 15:57:08

Thank you all for your advice.We are still waiting for the neighbour or her husband to call over,my husband doesn't like to go over again as she said she will get back to us,but we are both so stressed with the waiting he actually snapped at me this morning for keeping on about it.I am just so wound up we don't want to make a claim on our insurance in case the premier goes up next year,we will just pay up it was our fault lesson learnt.

The patio set is no longer available,because of lockdown etc not much left in garden furniture so i don't know what they want to do it is up to them as long as we can put them back to where they were before we screwed their garden up and help clean the gazebo i will feel much better,then i will buy a gift and a sorry card as well and be glad when winter comes and we are all indoors,not gone into the garden again today i am a baby.thank you all again.x

Shropshirelass Sun 25-Jul-21 09:17:34

Accidents happen, speak to your insurance company to see if it is covered. Don’t get yourself in a state about it, no one was hurt in the process and it was not done on purpose. This can be put right, you are doing all you can.

Tinydancer Sun 25-Jul-21 08:27:20

I looked into buying a spray device for my fence recently. Small size shop and advice given was the spray can carry up to 12 feet. I was surprised but reading the comments on here can understand completely now.
Good luck OP, I hope it resolves quickly.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Jul-21 07:53:40

I was biting my tongue at cushions for £500 !!!!
Anyway that aside you ve done what you can and I think you are being more than fair and in praise of them they haven’t jumped up and down either
Good old paint brush for me took longer but the only splatters I had were a few on the earth These all singing all dancing labour saving devises are not always the best

I would just leave it for now until you hear from them don’t ring to ask what’s happening, you ve offered, balls in their court now, don’t go poking a sleeping dragon

NotSpaghetti Sun 25-Jul-21 07:16:53

Sawsage,
The £500 was on "the set" and to me, this sounds like the "brand new patio set" as in the OP.

Sawsage2 Sat 24-Jul-21 21:40:34

As commented, who spends £500 on a few cushions? I think they're trying it on.

Chigleys Sat 24-Jul-21 21:24:02

The fence paints are all water based these days, only professionals can get creosote or oil based coverings. I haven’t read all the messages but as they are water based they should wash out.