Gransnet forums

Chat

Tesco six-packs of bottled water - shortage?

(214 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Mon 26-Jul-21 18:43:01

I buy a six-pack of bottled water each week from Tesco, delivered as part of my grocery delivery.

There are several brands, I usually order a particular one of them, but sometimes it is not available and then I order a different one. I allow a substitution and so various brands arrive in practice.

This week, none of them is available at the store from where my deliveries arrive.

I know there is hot weather. I know there is the pingdemic.

I am just wondering if this is just a temporary glitch locally or something more permanent and widespread going on.

As I do not go to the shops, I am wondering, are the shelves generally bare at present?

I see photos of empty shelves, but it is easy for someone with an agenda to go to the fresh bread aisle at the end of the day and make something of a typical situation for one fresh product that has happened for many years.

Jaxjacky Fri 30-Jul-21 14:45:15

Yes thank you.

ElderlyPerson Fri 30-Jul-21 14:20:39

Jaxjacky

I just added three items to my Tesco delivery for tomorrow, nothing was deleted and the bill went up accordingly?

Has everything arrived?

Smileless2012 Fri 30-Jul-21 14:12:48

I'm glad it's not just me ElderlyPerson. We have two bowls as well, one for the dogs and one for the cat because sometimes the dogs drink out of the cat's bowl.

I think scaremongering has a lot to do with it Germanshepherdsmum and you're right about cats being fussy eaters and lovely petssmile.

Jaxjacky Thu 29-Jul-21 20:11:20

I just added three items to my Tesco delivery for tomorrow, nothing was deleted and the bill went up accordingly?

ElderlyPerson Thu 29-Jul-21 19:36:14

Callistemon

Thank you, a reminder to y0update my Tesco order - I wonder if they'll have everything.

With Tesco you can ask for substitutions but with Waitrose, if something is unavailable they make you delete it from your order before you can complete and pay.
I always think 'but what if the item becomes available between now and when you pick and pack? You'll never know I wanted it!''

Tesco makes something previously ordered that is not available at the moment when one checks out become deleted.

I have queried this as the item may become available again before the order is picked.

It is said to be so that one is not disappointed on the day, but that does not seem logical to me.

Sometimes I have gone to add an item the previous evening to a delivery, found that if I do that something else would be deleted, so I have left the order unaltered and the item that would have been deleted arrives in the delivery.

But that is how it is and one just has to live with it.

So if before the next delivery the large packs of bottled water return but ordering a pack would mean losing something else from the order I would need to decide what to do However, two orders each week does give me a bit of flexibility with such situations.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 29-Jul-21 17:52:08

I wonder to what extent shortages were caused by panic buying due to the scaremongering the tv news was indulging in some days ago. That may be a part of the problem. I was pleased not to experience any problems with my online Tesco shop this week or last other than a complete absence of fresh mushrooms last week but not the end of the world (having said that I shall have major problems next time!). One item substituted which isn’t unusual. I buy all the dog food in bulk direct from the manufacturer - can’t take any chances there!

I do intend to carry on doing the basic shop online - the only supermarket in our nearby market town burned down last summer and I found I much preferred the convenience of doing a basic weekly shop online.

As regards water, we have a water filter fitted and can keep some in the fridge, some at room temperature, in recycled or sports bottles. Unless my tap water, even filtered, tasted vile I wouldn’t consider buying water in plastic bottles - so much plastic waste on our planet - and I most definitely wouldn’t give it to a pet save if it were a medical necessity as with the dog mentioned upthread. And buying multi-packs of the stuff means even more plastic. I appreciate this doesn’t address the fact that some people want sparkling water. Glass bottles perhaps? I remember when holidaying in rural Norfolk, where I now live, back in the late 60s the water came out of the tap brown but cleared within a few seconds and we happily drank it. No such problems now!

I can, from personal experience, vouch for the fact that some cats would almost starve before eating something they don’t like! Very fussy creatures but lovely pets.

Callistemon Thu 29-Jul-21 15:48:38

Thank you, a reminder to y0update my Tesco order - I wonder if they'll have everything.

With Tesco you can ask for substitutions but with Waitrose, if something is unavailable they make you delete it from your order before you can complete and pay.
I always think 'but what if the item becomes available between now and when you pick and pack? You'll never know I wanted it!''

ElderlyPerson Thu 29-Jul-21 15:38:05

I have just been updating my grocery orders for next week.

There are still no packs of large bottles, but there are packs of 12 bottles at 500 millilitres each so I have ordered some of those so that hopefully I will get something.

Yet I will try to monitor the situation and add large bottles AS WELL if they become available, but keep the small bottles in too, as a precaution in case the large bottles were to go out again.

This week, some plain Tilda basmati microwave rice was not available. I ordered six pacts of Alpro soft chocolate desserts but only got one, though I got six packs of Alpro vanilla desserts as ordered.

These are items that I have been ordering and receiving regularly. Always available previously, since the shortages around March 2020 and the subsequent rationing stopped.

ElderlyPerson Thu 29-Jul-21 15:24:54

Smileless2012

We've been to Aldi and Tesco's this morning and didn't see any shortages including bottled water which I buy regularly but not for us, for one of our dogs!!

When we moved here 4.5 years ago our little poodle began having tummy troubles. I contacted the breeder who, having gone through a list of possibilities said it could be the water
shock.

We did try Brita filter jugs which helped but he still wasn't 'right' so in the end tried bottled water and hey presto; no more tummy troubles.

That is good to know.

Actually I fill my cat's two water bowls with bottled water as well as using it myself.

Two bowls, just in case something happens to me while emptying, swilling out and refilling one, so he would not be left without water.

Smileless2012 Thu 29-Jul-21 15:00:46

We've been to Aldi and Tesco's this morning and didn't see any shortages including bottled water which I buy regularly but not for us, for one of our dogs!!

When we moved here 4.5 years ago our little poodle began having tummy troubles. I contacted the breeder who, having gone through a list of possibilities said it could be the water
shock.

We did try Brita filter jugs which helped but he still wasn't 'right' so in the end tried bottled water and hey presto; no more tummy troubles.

Callistemon Wed 28-Jul-21 22:16:38

Odd that many suggested the same or queried why anyone would buy bottled water, MawBe, but most do not get shot down in flames.

hmm

MawBe Wed 28-Jul-21 21:48:06

I seem to remember being shot down in flames for making a similar suggestion to somebody upthread <sigh>

Callistemon Wed 28-Jul-21 21:45:36

Please don't worry about me. If push comes to shove I can use tap water.
Brita filter jugs are really very good, ElderlyPerson if your tap water tastes chlorinated as ours does.

You can keep filtered water ready in the fridge if you like it cold (I don't particularly).

MissAdventure Wed 28-Jul-21 21:22:58

smile

ElderlyPerson Wed 28-Jul-21 21:09:50

Polly12

MawBe

Sounds as if your problems in that area are over EP smile

Oh, thank goodness - I’ve been so worried for the OP

Please don't worry about me. If push comes to shove I can use tap water.

Also, due to the pandemic, I quarantine everything for a week, so I have enough for ten days or so just coming out of quarantine.

Callistemon Wed 28-Jul-21 20:27:44

growstuff

Oh really? Of course, I make a habit of criticising people's lifestyles and being nasty towards them! hmm

There is no way in the world I would travel 20-30 miles to a supermarket. Sorry, but I really can think of many better ways to occupy my time. That's why I have groceries delivered anyway.

One example.
I wouldn't have to look far for more.

Callistemon Wed 28-Jul-21 20:23:01

DillytheGardener

Just came back from my local big Sainsbury’s and big big gaps in the shelves. Whole aisles with half the shelves empty, is this Covid or Brexit or both?

Or is it regional?

One interesting thing I noticed was that much of M&S fresh produce was from overseas but much of the fresh produce from Lidl was home-produced.

JaneJudge Wed 28-Jul-21 20:19:31

growstuff

Fanny They do their best. We had baked salmon this evening and they sat there looking pitiful. I'm sure one of them said something about a random person on a grannies'website telling him he needs to eat something other than his fave food.

grin grin
I imagine he is now planning to take over the website as there doesn't appear to be anyone else in charge...

growstuff Wed 28-Jul-21 20:17:47

Lucca

MissAdventure

Tasty but extravagant. wink

I’ll use Perrier shall I ?

I prefer Volvic.

growstuff Wed 28-Jul-21 20:17:23

Fanny They do their best. We had baked salmon this evening and they sat there looking pitiful. I'm sure one of them said something about a random person on a grannies'website telling him he needs to eat something other than his fave food.

MissAdventure Wed 28-Jul-21 18:12:53

grin
You just don't care, you little flibbertyjibbet!

Lucca Wed 28-Jul-21 18:03:44

MissAdventure

I’ll use Perrier shall I ?

FannyCornforth Wed 28-Jul-21 18:00:31

growstuff

I agree MissAdventure.

BTW I've just come back from a short trip to my local Tesco. There were huge gaps in the bottled water and cat food aisles.

(Cue somebody jumping in and saying it's not a problem where they live.)

And of course, why the bloody hell are you buying bottled water, you utter sociopath?
And don’t you know, cats don’t actually need supermarket food - they should fend for themselves (unless it involves wild life)

MissAdventure Wed 28-Jul-21 17:57:51

Lucca Wed 28-Jul-21 17:56:47

MissAdventure

Make it with water. grin

Mmm…tasty