Gransnet forums

Chat

Should I have told off 2 kids in the street?

(16 Posts)
Lizzies Mon 02-Aug-21 12:01:33

There’s a building at the back of my house that’s owned by a chap that was a friend of my husband. It’s built of sandstone, not the harder stone that the houses are built of. I have noticed that one of the stones, about two courses up, has been worn away right through to the inner brick lining. This has happened gradually and can’t be from natural erosion. Last night I was walking my dog around 9:00pm and noticed two boys, about 11 and 8, holding quite large stones and bashing away at the wall. I marched over to ask what they were doing and if they had done that to the other stone. The younger one turned his back on me and ignored me. The older one put his head down and muttered that he “wouldn’t do it again “ . I don’t know what to do, I don’t have John’s number and I aren’t sure where the boys live.

granfromafar Mon 02-Aug-21 12:06:05

Sounds like they knew they were doing wrong and were getting up to mischief through boredom. I think you did right right to have a word. Wonder if the parents knew where they were, but that's another issue.

Namsnanny Mon 02-Aug-21 12:07:02

Well it does sound as if what you said to them has made an impression on at least one of them.
Perhaps they wont come back from now on?

Blossoming Mon 02-Aug-21 12:07:19

Put a note through the householder’s door explaining what you saw. Perhaps a camera could be positioned to keep an eye on the building.

Lizzies Mon 02-Aug-21 13:14:46

Blossoming, it’s a storage space made out of an old carriage house at the back of the posher street behind me. There’s no letter box to put a note through and I haven’t seen John for a while. He keeps old classic car parts in there that he takes to sell at rallies etc and there haven’t been any lately.

JaneJudge Mon 02-Aug-21 13:16:27

you've spoke to the boys and I think that is enough. Tell john if you see him but please stop worrying about it. If it happens again or you think it is more serious you can log it with the police if necessary

Daisend1 Mon 02-Aug-21 13:28:19

Wait and see and if something occurs/ has occurred giving you cause to believe 'all is not as it should ? a word with your local 'arm of the law' would be in order.

Lizzies Tue 03-Aug-21 19:26:10

I saw them again this afternoon. They were kicking a ball around in the street and when they saw me they stopped, got onto the pavement and stood completely still and quiet. I think I may have got through to them.

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 03-Aug-21 19:33:10

The answer to your question is ‘ yes’. We had a similar thing. and said if we saw them again, we’d inform the police.

We never did ( see them again).

welbeck Tue 03-Aug-21 20:18:56

tell them if you see any more criminal damage you will be calling the police.

Callistemon Tue 03-Aug-21 20:57:08

Lizzies

I saw them again this afternoon. They were kicking a ball around in the street and when they saw me they stopped, got onto the pavement and stood completely still and quiet. I think I may have got through to them.

I think you did the right thing.

Perhaps you could smile and say hello to them next time you see them.
That way they know you have 'clocked them' but that you are not an ogre and they may not try anything like that again.

freedomfromthepast Wed 04-Aug-21 02:35:59

IMO this is exactly what is meant when people say it takes a village.

I would have done the same thing.

nanna8 Wed 04-Aug-21 03:48:40

Good for you, Lizzies. I’d be surprised if they do it again and you probably did them a bit of good for the future telling them.

glammanana Wed 04-Aug-21 08:28:12

Sounds like a good job done and that the message got home to them,well done you .

Kittye Wed 04-Aug-21 08:35:39

Good advice Callistemon

Kim19 Wed 04-Aug-21 08:36:16

I'm with Call in that I think a brief and pleasant acknowledgement to them next time you meet would be an ice breaker. Gentle is good.