Gransnet forums

Chat

Panic Buying, here we go again

(9 Posts)
NfkDumpling Fri 24-Sep-21 19:20:36

It seems it was only BP which had problems with driver shortages. The others were all ok until the media exaggerated things a little and now Tesco and some Esso garages are having problems as they can't get fuel delivered quickly enough due to panic buying.

Around Norwich today there were traffic jams caused by cars queuing into the roads and blocking them and buses are facing delays and moving stops away from supermarkets with garages as they can't get there. Madness.

lemongrove Fri 24-Sep-21 19:12:03

Yes, of course they would ( panic buy) didn’t matter that the government ( or anyone) said not to panic, the minute the media reported that a mere handful of garages had no fuel, people would be out trying to fill up whether they needed to or not.

NotSpaghetti Fri 24-Sep-21 19:04:57

If they hadn't said "no need to panic" probably no one would have done so!

Parsley3 Fri 24-Sep-21 19:02:15

Fair doos if you are filling up your vehicle but to fill cans as well is not on.

Sarnia Fri 24-Sep-21 18:57:59

It is pointless advising some people not to panic buy because they go out and do just that.

bobbydog24 Fri 24-Sep-21 18:42:51

The minute the government say don’t panic everyone does. Why don’t they try and sort it without scaremongering, then people would just buy as normal.

BlueBelle Fri 24-Sep-21 18:30:19

Nothing here either (thankfully I only have my cycle) but my daughter needed to fill up for work etc and nothing in the area at all except hour long queues people are so blxxxy stupid I see the toilet rolls have all gone in the supermarket ffs what’s wrong with people I d rather use newspaper than go on a Loo roll hunt ??‍♀️

Sara1954 Fri 24-Sep-21 18:26:19

Our area is horrendous, apparently queues for miles, all day we’ve had people coming into work with horror stories,
Although I have to say my commute home was quieter than usual, so perhaps people are using their common sense and staying home.

bobbydog24 Fri 24-Sep-21 16:31:13

Just been out to pick my grandchildren up from school and passed three garages and every one had queues for fuel. One had a big sign saying No Diesel. It really annoys me that people who probably hardly use their cars will be out there filling up. And of course the media are whipping it all up to get people panicking. Surely with the shortage of HGV drivers this was inevitable, why is Doris only now thinking of using the army. Horse, barn door springs to mind.