Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you do with feelings of gratitude and good fortune?

(15 Posts)
CanadianGran Fri 28-Jan-22 19:23:17

So many of you are generous with your time, it is inspiring.
Serendipity, I am sorry to hear you have MS; my father had it so I know how disabling it can be.

I recently ran into the wife of a co-worker that was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. I don't know the wife other than to say hello, but I gave my sympathy to her to hear her husband was ill. I don't know him very well at all either since he is in another department. We were both out walking our dogs; anyway, she poured her heart out for 15 minutes, and all I could do was be a sympathetic ear., but I am glad to be able to do that.

I am very conscious of the good fortune in my life, and give to charity financially while I am still working, but also hope to donate time as well when I am able. In the meantime, stopping and talking to people can give support in a small way.

Serendipity22 Fri 28-Jan-22 18:39:39

Well as I have said many times in my posts, i worked as a carer and loved my job with a great passion.

Through my MS getting worse i am unable to do the job i so loved and so i thought 'Ahhh but i can keep people company, i can make a cuppa, we can have a laugh.' So, i registered as a volunteer with a society, had all my 'investigations ' checked and got a phone call the other day about it.

I am soooooo very grateful that my MS didn't manifest into what it has today and i was able to give my mum 100% of me, i was able to look after her and absolutely gave her everything that she deserved, my precious mum passed away 5 years next month and thats when my MS absolutely reared its ugly head BUT BUT BUT i am over the moon that it was extremely mild and enabled me to be there for my mum.

So yes, i have MAMMOTH amount of gratitude and i thank God that things are as they are and have been as they have been.

smile

EllanVannin Fri 28-Jan-22 18:24:51

It's my family who've had most of my time over the years and I still help where I can, whether it's step-daughter with her anxiety or D with all the children. There's rarely been a dull moment so I've felt that whatever happens, I must keep going for them, I'm not so much worried about myself.

Thankfully I've been fit and able both physically and mentally which I do give thanks for or I wouldn't have managed half of what I've done. Others have always come first before me. smile

BlueBelle Fri 28-Jan-22 18:09:33

I ve always volunteered and during my working life it was evenings, I still volunteer about 18 hours a week I do support a few charities I do try and help and be as generous as I can on a fairly limited budget

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 17:59:14

I thank God in my prayers and do what I can to support charities.

rafichagran Fri 28-Jan-22 16:45:59

I am still in paid work, I do have anxiety, depression and diverticulitus, BUT I am physically able, I can power walk, drive and get out and about. I also dont struggle for heating and food. I do try to help people when I can, I have offered to drive people to places who are not as mobile as me. If I can help anyone I will.
I appreciate that I am very fortunate.

love0c Fri 28-Jan-22 16:37:04

It is lovely that so many people are prepared and able to help others. If you have a very busy family life never underestimate what a cheerful hello and stopping for a little chat may mean to someone. It can really brighten their day and remember you may well be the only person they actually speak to that day or even week.

Dabi Fri 28-Jan-22 16:30:56

I feel my greatest give-back is to send good thoughts to others, especially the ones that try us. It's harder than it sounds! wink

Applegran Sun 28-Nov-21 19:35:10

I am very impressed by the gifts of service given by others on GN. Thank you!

Jaxjacky Sat 27-Nov-21 20:28:45

I volunteer coordinating and driving for the Good Neighbours charity, lifts, principally medical, for those who need them.
Always said I’d try and do something when I retired, I’m pretty fit and able, with a warm house and loving husband. It makes me happy and I meet some lovely people.

kittylester Sat 27-Nov-21 18:57:23

I m fortunate enough to have been able to volunteer with lots of different organisations for most of my married life.

I get an awful lot out of what I do, probably more than the people I try to help, but I hope that I am helping to make life a little better for the carers of people living with dementia.

I hope I am a good friend too.

M0nica Sat 27-Nov-21 15:23:01

I try to do what I can for anyone I know who needs help - and in the run up to Christmas trying to be as generous as possible to as many causes as I can. I have been involved with community work of all kinds for most of my life, but not at the moment, but it will return.

Aveline Sat 27-Nov-21 15:06:42

I do a very small job with the Royal Voluntary Service. Just two hours twice a week. Not much. However, I was at a meeting where one of their big bosses spoke and told us about some of the projects they carry out all over the country and in a whole host of practical ways. There sounds to be an absolute army of dedicated volunteers all doing their little bit. I was so happy to hear of this huge crowd of helpful people who we just never hear about.
Could you join them? Put something back?

HolySox Sat 27-Nov-21 12:33:13

We are in a similar position to you. Happy together still, health holding up and living comfortably in a warm house. So the recent refugee tradegy in the Channel this week highlighted how fortunate we are and your post struck a chord with me.
In answer to your question, being Christian, we thank God for His blessings every today. And yes look to share what and where we can. Being a rich, materialistic society sticking a cheque in the post is the usual do something. But I applaud you for giving friendship when it is really needed, to your friends who are in very different position. This is real giving. So often do we make 'fair weather' friends, people who want to take from a relationship rather than give. Nice to hear.

Applegran Sat 27-Nov-21 10:56:29

I have just heard from a good friend - great sadness in her family as one person has become very dependant and has had to go into care for her final years, and another is now alone and has to live with pain. Of course I am visiting and in contact - but there is little I can do apart from offer friendship and understanding. Both are worth while - but it also makes me think all over again with great gratitude about my own good fortune. At the moment, apart from some aches here and there, Mr Apple and I are well, safe and warm at home, able to walk, meet friends, and look after ourselves. So somehow this leads me to think more about what we can do to give back something in return for our good luck . For me, its supporting charities for people suffering or in need, refugees who are desperate and would give so much to be able to go into their kitchen and boil a kettle, and share some of the good things we have with other people. It isn't 'enough' - but it's something. I know lots of other people do not have our good fortune - but I also know that even with little to offer many people do give with their time and from their hearts.