Gransnet forums

Chat

Lack of leadership in soicial services

(85 Posts)
DaisyL Fri 03-Dec-21 17:25:05

Emma Tustin is without a doubt one of the nastiest and most evil women I have ever heard about and I sincerely hope that she lives a long and miserable life! Not very Christian of me but the suffering she inflicted in that poor little boy was unspeakable. Social services had visited the family and concluded that all was well. One of my step-grandchildren has been fostered by the most wonderful family for more than two years now but when the mother took her away to scatter her father's ashes, she had to get permission from social services to share a room with the girl and that was only granted on condition that she didn't undress in front to her! What a topsy turvy world we live in.

MissAdventure Mon 06-Dec-21 15:30:39

A social worker.

trisher Mon 06-Dec-21 15:37:07

Iam64 if schools are expecting TAs to teach then they are obviously employing TAs and getting rid of teachers.
maddyone this government cut funding in Labour MPs areas far more than in Tory ones. In fact of the 18 Tory constituencies to benefit and get more funding 13 had MPs who were in the cabinet www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/savage-tory-cuts-education-hitting-20844584
As I said Solihull was one of those to suffer most cuts.
It's not "completely untrue" that Labour areas suffered more cuts than Tory ones. The evidence is there. And if their budget is cut no LA can continue to fund schools adequately. TAs or teachers are cut as Iam64 says when TAs are there they are frequently doing a teacher's job, because they are cheaper.

Iam64 Mon 06-Dec-21 15:45:32

No need to be so combative trisher. My point was TAs are being exploited and children let down by misuse of TAs. It was a fear many of us expressed when TAs first arrived and another occasion when being proved right is no consolation

trisher Mon 06-Dec-21 17:49:44

Sorry Iam64 but the idea that the huge cuts to all services either isn't happening or that it hasn't caused a huge amount of damage to children makes me very cross. I'm also still reovering from reading the Every Child Matters document. Such a lot of things have been lost, so many children are slipping through the net once again. All those broken promises

Iam64 Mon 06-Dec-21 19:12:43

Trisher, every child matters was one of our key documents. I could scream or weep at the constant re-inventing of the wheel in safeguarding.
My posts feel like im constantly repeating the devastating impact of 11byears of austerity

trisher Mon 06-Dec-21 19:28:02

I remember it being used Iam64 I think I'd just assumed things were still being implemented. When I retired I chose to move away from education into other areas, reading it now just brought home how much hard work has been chucked down the drain and how we have slipped further back. Arthur may have been killed by his parents but he and thousands of other children have been let down by this government.

maddyone Mon 06-Dec-21 19:30:56

trisher I have said nothing at all about any authorities, neither Conservative nor Labour, nor have I discussed cuts in services, which may well be relevant, so please don’t accuse me of that. I simply said TAs are employed in the north and the south according to the wishes of headteachers, LAs, or other authorities in charge of schools.
However my main point has been, and continues to be, that had Arthur been in school, his bruises would have been seen, his condition noted, and he might have still been alive today. But he isn’t alive today, and he suffered appalling tortures, during the time he was not in school.

maddyone Mon 06-Dec-21 19:33:05

Lockdown protected many people in society, but it did not protect Arthur. Lockdown may well have been the reason he is dead. Schools are safe places for abused children.

Iam64 Mon 06-Dec-21 19:46:46

Trisher, hard work chucked down the drain, fits with my angst about safeguarding constantly re-inventing the wheel.
Maddyone is right. Lockdown didn’t protect Arthur. One primary school I know well had 11 children taken into care over July and august. These children were ‘vulnerable’ but inevitably not taking up their places. Only the action of the school in visiting led to them being protected.
Without wanting to dramatise, I suspect many posters have little idea just how desperate the situation on safeguarding is.