Gransnet forums

Chat

What will happen to our towns if we all shop online?

(140 Posts)
Kali2 Thu 13-Jan-22 20:25:48

This is not meant to criticise those who choose to shop on line, And I totally get that Covid has encouraged so many more to do so.

But what then? Shops are closing, pubs are closing, independent cafés and restaurants are replaced by chains. Charity shops multiply.

Are we truly happy, or at least unconcerned- that our town centres are slowly dying? One of the things we love about our lovely market town, is the independent shops and cafés, the ironmongers, the butchers and fish shop, fruit and veg. Covid has been a disaster- if we don't return in person- that will be the final nail in their coffin.

And I for one will misss them for sure. Won't you?

Grantanow Sun 16-Jan-22 10:58:12

The reason Council charge heavily for parking is mainly that their grants from successive Tory governments have been pared to the bone - witness the poor level of social services. In our small market town the Town Council pays the County Council to keep the car parks free of charge so we don't deter town centre shoppers. We don't have an out of town shopping centre but it's a risk given Tory attitudes to deregulating planning.

Brownowl564 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:04:26

My nearest town is over 25 miles away and parking gets more restricted every day and there is only 1 bus once an hour and it’s takes 90 minutes each way, i shop at my local farm shops, village butchers and direct from fishing boat, most other things I buy online, I buy from British companies wherever possible and online small producers or crafters through online markets or Etsy and will use again local hotels and tea rooms and restaurants, town centres are too full of same shops, chains etc and the parking gets more difficult so it does not make me want to go there at all. I live on the North east of Scotland coast but online I can buy from anywhere in the Uk

Kali2 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:06:19

Calistemon

Kali2

MerylStreep

Kali2

Doomed? Who on earth said that? Are you denying that town centres are on the decline, that Covid has made it worse, and that more and more people buy online?

You did in your OP.

No, I did not. Thanks.

Me, it was me!! ?

It seemed to be a thread comparing Britain unfavourably with the rest of Europe even though the OP says her own market town is wonderful, which is confusing.

Ps for those who didn't realise, it is a line from Dad's Army
"We're doomed I tell you, doomed"
#Private Frazer

Re European cities- it was never my intention to mention this, or compare. But I was asked a direct question, and I replied.

Yes, our small Market Town is still lovely, with lots on independent cafés, restaurants, a busy market and lots of independent shops. But did you read my comments? Even there, several shops have closed since Covid, and either leaving hugly gaps in the town centre, or replaced by same of the same. Other towns, as comments above clearly indicate, have been hit much worse.

Oh I remember Frazer, well.

Brownowl564 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:06:25

Grantanow
If you think English councils have it tough , you should try living in Scotland, not allowed to increase council tax for over 10 years and grants reduced every year, SNP are much worse

Lulu16 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:07:49

It is a shame that our town centres have become such unexciting places to visit. The general upkeep of town centres, such as litter, untidiness, dirty pavements, etc is very off-putting, but services have been cut right back. It almost needs the vision to revive town centres again.

Daisymae Sun 16-Jan-22 11:08:03

Our nearest town centre could be a real destination shop. It's historical, has various places of interest but the Council seems determined to deter shoppers/visitors. Parking costs are huge, the most convenient £6 starting and £10 for over 2 hours. The one way system is a pain, roadworks causing delays in another part for 2 years. The interesting little shops have mainly disappeared over the last 10 years. Disabled parking is hard to find. I have not been into town for 2 years and I haven't actually missed it. My internet shopping is now refined so I can't see me returning any time soon.

4allweknow Sun 16-Jan-22 11:08:32

My local town built a Mall and made the High Street pedestrians only. Multi car park at the Mall. Worst thing that ever happened to the place and the decline set in. No more shopping for an hour or two any day of the week. Had to pay for parking and then trudge a fair distance through the Mall to access the High Street. Not a great experience and for some the draw of the stores in the Mall, now mostly closed meant shoppers didn't even visit all the local independent shops. Worst thing that ever happened was pedestrianisation. Of course, there is now an out of town retail park.

Chino Sun 16-Jan-22 11:09:20

I live in a small town and every time a retail shop closes it is replaced by another cafe - there are so many now thst I am surprised they all manage to keep going

MayBeMaw Sun 16-Jan-22 11:09:21

Ps for those who didn't realise, it is a line from Dad's Army
". We're doomed I tell you, doomed
# Private Frazer
Looks like something got lost in translation grin

Noreen3 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:15:12

It's so sad to see.My local town has a lot less shops to make it worthwhile visiting,worse still now Debenhams has gone.We have a hotel being built on the old bus station,it's a company who wanted to invest,so it's not the local council who are paying.We have a huge, empty Beale's store,the latest idea is that the Council offices will move there,leaving their out of town offices empty. I know it's progress,and times have changed,but I wish we could go back to the days when we could enjoy an outing into town.

Mummer Sun 16-Jan-22 11:31:52

Agree saltnshake. Parking is key. Specially in small towns where park n ride is not viable. Even first hour free would help as often we only spend maybe 30-45 minutes actually in town to collect prescription pick up some stuff from market and have a bit of a look at other shops, so paying is annoying when we don't use anything like the hour and the machines are registration sensitive so cannot pass on unused ticket time to another 'quickie' shopper either! Mean and profiteering. If the space has been booked for a period of time and paid for, it shouldn't matter what's parked there! Un justified

Riggie Sun 16-Jan-22 11:34:33

Ours hasn't been great for years. People keep saying we need John Lewis but then when a more upmarket shop moved in last year..."its too expensive, won't last long"

As someone who doesn't like shopping much my habits haven't really changed during lockdown.

Mummer Sun 16-Jan-22 11:35:30

Brownowl564

Grantanow
If you think English councils have it tough , you should try living in Scotland, not allowed to increase council tax for over 10 years and grants reduced every year, SNP are much worse

Why can't they increase council tax? And grants? Where from? Don't understand your system

Rosina Sun 16-Jan-22 11:40:03

Our local Market town had many traditional family shops, many of which have closed over the past few years,. There has fortunately been a trend for new businesses to start up. We have recently seen a florist, a plant shop (no competition for the florist - it sells just potted plants) a retro toy shop, two new coffee shops and a nail bar ( of course! ) There is still a twice weekly market and a farmer's market once a month. However, ther business rates charged are absolutely ridiculous. One long established shop relocated to smaller premises further away from the town centre, and it was no surprise when I saw the empty shop advertised - with an annual council charge of £33,000. Considering that the retailer then has to pay for staff, utilities, stock, and make some kind of profit to live on, it is no wonder shops are closing.

Mummer Sun 16-Jan-22 11:45:48

I think residential apartments are a good Idea in principle but rent only as apartments are notoriously impossible to re sell! Thi GS like playschools/fitness studios/salons for beauty/therapies/ dentist/GPs /main post office / at least 2 decent bank branches that take deposits and withdrawals for all banks essential.all these types of activities should and could be located ona 'high street' we have to negotiate piddling little backstreets and nil parking to go to GP or pay! Same for dentists. Playschools are99% dependent on having a car because of their out of the way locales. If the high street properties were made available at decent affordably rates/rents, then independent retailers could benefit from a tsunami of footfall from other activities. As usual those without a clue who don't ever use or even live in the town centres are making the decisions on a map! Ever heard the one about the roundabout that led nowhere? It was where the builder put his brew on the plans!!

Dickens Sun 16-Jan-22 11:47:10

Buffy

I’d love to know where all you people live in the small towns with independent butchers, greengrocers etc., In our small city even the charity shops are closing. It’s depressing to walk through town except on market days.

My small town - in The Cotswolds - is thriving. It has:

butcher
baker
greengrocer
Co-op
gift shop (where you can also order books)
delicatessen - combined with coffee shop
flower shop
ironmongers (the busiest shop in town)
fish & chip shop
Thai take-away
hairdresser
chemist
dentist (2)
optician
solicitors
tea rooms (2)
art shop/ gallery
clothes shop
newsagent
charity shop
antique shops (2)
pubs (3) all serving food

... obviously footfall fell during the last couple of years, but it is reviving.

The local 'shopper' magazine carries the motto, "Use it or lose it". And so we do. As well as ordering online.

JaneJudge Sun 16-Jan-22 11:51:52

I mentioned parking but it is not 30p, it is well over a fiver and sometimes I don't feel safe in the car park. I remember me and my friend went to a workshop in the town and there were two women chasing the dragon on the stairwell from the car park to the street - so that is off putting too. Not that I don't have sympathy for the homeless and people with addictions but my closest big town has lots of problems (and it could be lovely)

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 11:52:34

There have been reports about the decline of market towns for decades.

First of all the out-of-town superstores were blamed, the out-of-town shopping centres, the hug rise in business rates then Brexit, now Covid and on-line shopping.
The rise in rents and rates is a very large factor msoa reasonable footfall is needed to make businesses pay and make a profit.

I think many niche shops have opened up and some of them provide an online service too, so perhaps that is the way forward.

JaneJudge Sun 16-Jan-22 11:52:52

Dickens, you don't live in Bourton on the Water do you? It has the poshest co-op I have ever seen!

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 11:52:58

huge rise

Mummer Sun 16-Jan-22 11:53:15

Riggie

Ours hasn't been great for years. People keep saying we need John Lewis but then when a more upmarket shop moved in last year..."its too expensive, won't last long"

As someone who doesn't like shopping much my habits haven't really changed during lockdown.

Agree. Our town went crazy trying to get M&S here! It was cancelled twice. Second time after main carpark shut for over a year to install services! Then even though we have a big lovely Booth's foodhall-M&S has finally landed, food only.... Basically selling a fraction of Booth's offerings and not that popular in a town not known for the loaded doing their shopping here! The after big sports retailer closed low and should a sports direct opened,,really? Bonkers. It's all discount shops a Costa gaps where Burton dotty P greenwoods and various café closures languish.a mess. I wish experienced female shoppers had a major say in what makes a town centre work! And IT'S NOT bookies slots and estate agents with a 'wheres there's pain there's blame' outlet slap bang in middle!

Hetty58 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:53:52

I'm on the edge of London. Around a decade ago, we lost our local library, post office and bank. Next, the baker and greengrocer went - so everyone had no choice, really, but to use the supermarket.

We now have three barbers, two hairdressers, a tanning shop, tattoo shop, pet shop - and several takeaways, cafes, coffee shops and restaurants. Oh, and a nail bar, two beauty salons and a couple of 'corner' shops where you can still buy bread, thankfully!

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 11:54:17

Oh dear, typos, I need to buy a new stylus.
I bought these in our local £1 shop but it closed!

Yogamum Sun 16-Jan-22 11:54:28

We love to shop in small towns and villages. We even venture out with our dog for a wander up and down a high street, with one standing outside holding the dog for the other to pop in for a browse and a small purchase

What one if the biggest killers to high streets is parking. Poor amount of parking, can see it/find it easily - people drive on by

With the lack of parking on the actual high street, there is very little passing trade. Gone are the days you could be driving by, something catch your eye and you could quickly park up, pop out and have a look. All it needs are a few half hour parking spots on a high street so people can stop. One town near us, the only self evident parking is a Waitrose. You can’t see the two parking lots for the town as they’re behind the high street and poor signage. Little alleyways to get to them. No one stops. It’s a wealthy village but the boutiques are all slowly being replaced by charity shops. (Mind you, nice stuff in there!)

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 11:57:16

Catch 22 Mummer

A survey on footfall is done - if there isn't a certain footfall retailers will not open up in a town.
However, if they don't have a presence in the town, then footfall will be down.