Gransnet forums

Other subjects

Seeing grandchildren in foster care

(7 Posts)
Fluffybunny Fri 25-Feb-22 20:24:24

Hi. I'm unsure where to post this or even if anyone has any knowledge or advice but I have been diagnosed as terminally ill and my grandchildren are in foster care. Due to the circumstances do I have a right to see them? I have never been stopped from seeing them but have only had 1 visit with them whilst their mother also visited. This was quite some time ago. I am unable to find any advice anywhere other than that they do try to promote visits with other family members. All advice welcome. Thank you.

Hithere Sat 26-Feb-22 00:19:52

Have you consulted a lawyer?

I hope you get an answer soon

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 26-Feb-22 10:14:30

Bless you, I’m so sad to hear of your diagnosis.

It does sound like there’s been a lot going on in the background, and you would benefit from legal advice. You could start with Citizens Advice, before you start spending money.

I do hope you resolve it soon, and wish you the best.

Maya1 Sat 26-Feb-22 10:21:49

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis.
Our county council have a children's social services department. Would it be worth checking to see if your local county council have one. They might be willing to offer general advice.
As disco dancer says Citizens advice is always a good place to start as well.
Best wishes and l hope you get to see your grand children.

Nannarose Sat 26-Feb-22 10:35:34

I have been involved in such cases, and am glad that you are finding the strength to do this. It is not only important for you, but also for your grandchildren in the future.

You need to begin with the local authority that has the care of your grandchildren. They will have a contact number - there will be a social worker who has responsibility for them.
I am assuming that you cannot go through your daughter, as that would be the obvious route.

If I can offer a word of advice, I would begin now to write some letters, possibly scan some photos, even make an audio recording, to send to your grandchildren.
In principle, yes, the Children's Services department of the local authority will want to promote this precious visit. In practice, in can be awkward, depending on where they are in care, and who has to spend time enabling this.
Beginning your message to them now gives you something positive to do, and if by sad chance, the visit is badly delayed, your grandchildren will have something to hold on to. If absolutely necessary, the Children's Services department will keep it for them - I have known this to happen - and do not doubt how much it will mean to them.

I wish you all the best with this, and the journey that you are taking.

Franbern Sat 26-Feb-22 11:48:53

fluffybunny so sad to learn of your diagnosis.
I am writing this as a former (many years back) foster parent.

I think that Nannarose has given you a lot of very good advice.

When I fostered, I was always pleased to welcome any family member to see my young charges, particularly grandparents.

I did quite a lot of pre-adoption fostering back then. THis was in the years before people realised the importance of what came to be called 'life books. for children. Interesting I was only very recently contacted by a man who is in his forties, but I fostered between hospital and his lovely adoptive parents back in 1980. Lovely man, but he so much wants to find out more information about his bioligical background (particularly now as his partner is expecting his baby). Just wants to have some knowledge of things like any medical issues, why he was put up for adoption. He loves his adoptive parents, no problems there, but still feels the need to know something more.

So, yes, keep in touch, visit and do write those letters and put aside those photos etc.

smoothie Sat 26-Feb-22 19:04:44

Fluffybunny, have you tried reaching out to the foster parents or whomever the guardian is? I want to encourage you to explore other options before bringing it to court, though I do realize that you are wanting to hurry. I would write a letter or an email or both to whoever is responsible for the kids and also ask the mother to plan another visit as soon as possible so you can tag along. And while you are there with her ask the people who have the kids if you can see them more so often or without the mother every time if she is not wanting to go so often, tell them your situation and ask them what would be workable. I hope it all goes smoothly and you are able to see the grands more often right away. sunshine