Gransnet forums

Chat

Wearing earrings constantly

(100 Posts)
winterwhite Mon 07-Mar-22 15:27:24

I think I need my ears re-piercing (done 50 years ago? ).
I haven't worn earrings for ages, and my fingers are less deft now at fiddling with flimsy butterfly backs.
Am thinking of getting some simple good quality stud earrings and wearing them more or less permanently, but I'm not sure whether this is advisable, and whether they might work overnight. I think I have skin like a rhinoceros so no worries about skin allergies.
Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Shelflife Tue 08-Mar-22 09:12:55

In my 70s and never had any ears pierced! Not sure why as I do admire them when I see my friends wearing them . My Mum never had hers pierced either, maybe that's my reason for not taking the plunge!

Shelflife Tue 08-Mar-22 09:15:46

In my 70s and never had my ears pierced! Not quite sure why as I do admire the ones my friends wear. My Mum never had hers pierced, perhaps that's why I have never take the plunge!

Shelflife Tue 08-Mar-22 09:16:05

Posted twice!!!

Philip45 Thu 09-Mar-23 13:06:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Shinamae Thu 09-Mar-23 13:08:23

I am looking at getting sleepers that I can leave in permanently, probably silver as I dislike gold..

Llamedos13 Thu 09-Mar-23 13:42:15

So funny this thread would pop up today. Yesterday I got my ears re-pierced as the holes had closed over as I hadn’t worn any earrings for years.I was inspired by my little five year old granddaughters excitement when she had hers done last Christmas.I got tiny birthstone diamond studs put in,no problem at all sleeping in them last night.

FannyCornforth Thu 09-Mar-23 13:42:17

Reported (Philip)

grannydarkhair Thu 09-Mar-23 13:48:20

Shelflife One for each ear 😁

Zoejory Thu 09-Mar-23 13:50:38

I don't have pierced ears either. Thanks to a neighbour of my Grandma. When I was a child I'd gaze at this woman's ear lobes. They were practically touching her shoulders. Flapping in the wind. I was quite horrified which caused me to never go under the needle.

Weirdly neither of my daughters have pierced ears either. Mind you, I did tell them about my childhood trauma. Maybe that's why they didn't bother.

MayBee70 Thu 09-Mar-23 14:02:15

My ears closed over because I’d stopped wearing earring during the pandemic. I bought some hoops from a company called Solace that said they could be worn all the time. I bought them because they are hinged and easy to put in and close. I did make the mistake of not cleaning them with salt water first and I bought slightly thicker ones which I had to force in. It resulted in my ears bleeding and being quite sore. I contacted the company and they said I should have bought thinner ones. So, after wearing some gold hoops for a while that I could keep in permanently but were fiddly to close I tried the Solace ones again, being more careful this time and I’ve been wearing them continuously for ages with no problem. I even forget I’m wearing them. My daughter had the same problem and purchased some and they worked for her, too. The great thing about them is the hinge so I don’t have to fiddle with them or worry about them falling out. I think a lot of people found themselves having the same problem because of the pandemic.

dogsmother Thu 09-Mar-23 14:07:47

Love earrings and bracelets. Had my ears pierced approximately 50 years ago and I’ve worn rings in the of all descriptions day and night ever since. Only gold overnight for many years although I can do silver too now.

Yammy Thu 09-Mar-23 14:14:19

Germanshepherdsmum

I wear hook type earrings every day and take them out at night. I found that the backs on the stud type were making my ears itch if worn all day no matter what metal they were made of. Not dressed without my earrings!

I got a tip from a jeweller when buying a pair of hook earings, buy a packet of rubber/plastic backs and push them on. I had a pair that kept falling out.
Unfortunately, I am allergic to silver as well as base metals so always have to have gold. I never go without something in. I promised when I got them pierced on DD's first day at school.

LadyGracie Thu 09-Mar-23 14:26:51

After FannyCornforth talking about wearing huggies all the time, which I'd never heard of, I looked for some, I bought some tiny gold ones. I put them in straight away and apart from taking them out to have an MRI, I've worn them all the time. Very comfy, thanks FC

HeavenLeigh Sat 11-Mar-23 11:12:05

I’ve had my ears pierced over 50 years I wear silver hoops all the time small ones not big. And I wear a set of sparkly small studs too. They all come out once a week to be cleaned I wouldn’t feel dressed without my earrings and necklace on

HeavenLeigh Sat 11-Mar-23 11:13:30

I’ve never heard of Huggies earrings where do you buy those FannyCornforth the only Huggies I know are baby wipes

Marydoll Sat 11-Mar-23 11:14:48

I feel naked without earrings, but do take them out at night.

I have so many pairs, I can't count them!

henetha Sat 11-Mar-23 11:15:28

I had my ears pierced on my 40th birthday. I wear different earrings every day and take them out at night.

Marydoll Sat 11-Mar-23 11:18:39

I always wanted pierced ears, but my father would not allow it.

After I got married, I had them pierced. Weeks later, I found out was pregnant. DH advised his female staff not to have their ears pierced, because they would get pregnant! 😁

FannyCornforth Sat 11-Mar-23 11:23:00

LadyGracie, oh good! I’m so glad that you like them.
HeavenLeigh huggies or huggy hoops are just a style of earring.
Like a fat sleeper or hoop that stays close to your lobe.
You can get plain gold or silver ones, jewelled ones, ones with a stone drop.
More visible than sleepers but just as practical.
Just enter ‘huggies’ or ‘huggy’ in the search bar of your shop of choice

Modompodom Sat 11-Mar-23 11:26:20

I wear hook earrings as I find them the easiest to get in, especially with dodgy fingers! I do take them out at night though. Sometimes I need to dip the hook in antiseptic cream in order to ease it through the hole.

spabbygirl Sat 11-Mar-23 11:32:18

I wear any sort of earrings all the time, always have done. Ideally they have some sort of catch to stop them falling out either lever back or the other thing that holds the bit that goes through your ear. I would like some way of making them stay permanently, I always loose one or two a year, but other than welding them closed I can't think of any way!

BlueBelle Sat 11-Mar-23 11:36:24

I wear different ones every day too they are part of my dressing I love big, bold, bright, different and last time I counted I had 72 pairs

crazyH Sat 11-Mar-23 11:38:17

I feel bland without earrings.

Susiewakie Sat 11-Mar-23 11:39:37

I wear leverback earrings easy to take out at night and put back in .I let my second holes close up and am considering redoing them .DD doesn't see why lol

nanna8 Sat 11-Mar-23 11:51:49

I’ve had my ears pierced for years but I felt like getting an extra one just above It costs $63 ! When I had mine done it was around $5. Needless to say, I’m not bothering. Can you do it yourself I wonder!