Gransnet forums

Chat

Wearing earrings constantly

(100 Posts)
winterwhite Mon 07-Mar-22 15:27:24

I think I need my ears re-piercing (done 50 years ago? ).
I haven't worn earrings for ages, and my fingers are less deft now at fiddling with flimsy butterfly backs.
Am thinking of getting some simple good quality stud earrings and wearing them more or less permanently, but I'm not sure whether this is advisable, and whether they might work overnight. I think I have skin like a rhinoceros so no worries about skin allergies.
Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Keffie12 Sun 12-Mar-23 12:25:18

When I was in my teens/early 20s I had 6 piercings on each side, which I had studs and loops in.

That stopped when I had my babies as I didn't want them being yanked at.

I put some of them back in as the youngsters got older. I tend to wear 3 on one side, 2 on the other and not matching in studs.

I used to have an eyebrow piercing in my 40s which I loved. It came out and I never got it redone.

I also had my nose pierced in my 20s. My skin was too sensitive for that so I couldn't wear it. No I never had my tongue and lip done. I never fancied that. The mouth is for eating and I love my food.

I do love my tattoos which I still have done. Symbolic and nice ones though. Not skull and crossbones type.

I've never run with the crowd though. I've always been quirky. I am the same in my clothing too. Not mutton dressed as lamb. Just dare to be different. Colours and unique styling as I was once told.

Same with my hair ' is subtly different with colours. No growing older gracefully here 🙃😉🙃

Just subtlety changed it down as I have got older

singingnutty Sat 11-Mar-23 23:17:03

I had my ears pierced when my niece went to have hers done at 16. I wear dangly earrings with hooks and secure them with little plastic grommet things at the back which I buy from Claire’s. I don’t wear them every day now I have my hair longer (result of Lockdown) but don’t have a problem putting them in.

MayBee70 Sat 11-Mar-23 19:44:24

I bought some silver earrings at a craft fair and the lady who made them said that many earrings are described as silver but aren’t pure silver so people often react to them.

aligator5 Sat 11-Mar-23 19:38:40

I think you will be ok wearing them constantly. Studs can dig in as you sleep but if you loosen the backing it is fine. I wear the same earrings for ages without any problems. But they are gold ones. I wouldn’t use cheap metal for more than a day.

RoseLily1 Sat 11-Mar-23 19:19:50

Can you pierce on top o a previous hole that has closed up, or do you have to go for a slightly different area?

cc Sat 11-Mar-23 18:24:17

VioletSky

I wear small hoops as they are much more comfy to sleep in and really easy to keep clean

Yes, I think the little hoops are the best solution, they don't dig into you and less likely to fall out in the night.

4allweknow Sat 11-Mar-23 17:56:32

I was told 45 years ago when I wanted to start wearing earring again that I did not have to have them re-done. Hadn't worn them for 15 years and like many thought the holes had closed up. No, the holes become bunged up with dead skin, soap, creams etc. All I had to do was pull the earlobes down tight and start to try to insert an earring. Would take several attempts over several days but eventually the gunk would be cleared. It worked, lobes were a bit red after each attempt with pulling but no irritation or anything. I often don't wear earrings for weeks and have no problem when I do. Always take them out at night. Never wear anything other than silver or gold.

elleks Sat 11-Mar-23 17:24:35

I never take mine out, except to change them. I've got quite fleshy lobes, and I fear they'd heal up quickly if I left the studs out. I only wear gold though, not cheap ones.
@Froglady; I think the build-up is dead skin; I get that too.

Fleurpepper Sat 11-Mar-23 17:11:06

I sleep on my side and cannot bear to have earings on at night.

RicePudding613794 Sat 11-Mar-23 17:07:45

I found that over Covid times, I wasn’t wearing earrings enough, as getting dressed up to go out was rare. I never wear any jewellery when I’m in the house and it was really difficult to get earrings in when I wanted to wear them…I ended up with red ears trying to force them sometimes. I got a pair of solid gold ‘huggie’ hoops, which I suppose are similar to what we used to call sleepers, but they are tiny and hug your earlobe. They are quite fiddly to get in and out, but I wanted them to wear all the time and they work really well for me. I also hate the holes in my earlobes without any earrings, so they’re great for everyday wear too. I couldn’t find any in local shops though, so had to order online and they were very expensive for all the size of them, but for me they were worth it.

Ladyinspain Sat 11-Mar-23 17:03:07

I am 72- my spanish granny pierced my ears herself when I was one week old - with a cork and a needle Ears have never closed over, so she much have done it right!! Here in Spain Newborns are offered the piercing before they leave hospital, as its more common to see pierced ear babies than not !!

MrsKen33 Sat 11-Mar-23 16:58:13

Had my ears done in Bobby’s in Bournemouth. 1974

queenofsaanich69 Sat 11-Mar-23 16:57:23

I have lovely circular hoop earrings given to me and I could not get the right one in until I dipped it in polysporin and it just slid in,I can sleep with those but I find the ones with posts bend slightly if I sleep in them.

albertina Sat 11-Mar-23 16:57:09

I don't feel dressed without my earrings and wear them every day.
Recently my daughter introduced me to Primark earrings. I can sometimes have sensitive ears, but these extraordinarily cheap and nice earrings don't affect me at all.
If you don't want to take them out every day just make sure you give the lobes a good soaping and rinse every few days and dry them carefully.

Oreo Sat 11-Mar-23 16:47:16

To those who say having pierced ears is painless when it’s done, errrr no! Not for me it wasn’t or my DD’s either, but worth it anyway.

Rosiebee Sat 11-Mar-23 16:42:08

I wear drop earrings every day but always take them out at night. I never thought that anyone would sleep with their earrings in. Why would you? Not a criticism, just curious.

Ali23 Sat 11-Mar-23 16:29:38

Sorry… labret

Ali23 Sat 11-Mar-23 16:27:06

Just read this thread.
I wear silver hooks but take them out at night. If someone buys me dress earrings I change the wire to a silver one and I’m good to go.
I had never heard of librette earrings so followed the link and would like to try those now. Thank you

LadyGracie Sat 11-Mar-23 16:23:25

I had mine done in a barbers shop in the Bullring, Birmingham in 1965, I was 14.

SueDonim Sat 11-Mar-23 16:15:29

Oh,I see Danni’s question. I had mine done for a bet in 1977 at the Ideal Home Exhibitionin London. A friend’s husband paid the fee of £5. grin

SueDonim Sat 11-Mar-23 16:14:14

People take their earrings out each night? shock I had no idea! I have sleepers in mine, they just stay in my ears. I find it too fiddly nowadays to put different ones in and out, I probably ought to just let them close over.

I never take my watch off, either, except to put it back/forward twice a year.

DanniRae Sat 11-Mar-23 15:18:22

I had my ears done in a jewellers in Redhill, Surrey when I was 16 and had just left school.
Where did you have yours done? smile

ANMI52 Sat 11-Mar-23 15:15:41

I had to get my ears re pierced a couple of years ago as they’d closed over. I now wear studs all the time, only taking them out if I’m putting something nice in. No problem to sleep with them in 🙂

Betty18 Sat 11-Mar-23 15:11:40

I am so lazy I rarely take my gold studs out. Now and again to clean them. Never had a problem. I think make sure they’re a good quality.

Wilm Sat 11-Mar-23 14:54:20

I had to get my ears repierced as one had closed up. For some reason I was really nervous (I’m a blood donor & that doesn’t bother me!) but I really wanted them done.
I was told titanium earrings are best as skin does not stick to it (it’s used for hip replacements.
After piercing I was told to just leave it, no turning, I could take them out after 3 months but left it longer. I tend to just wear titanium now & have had no problems & lots of choice on places like Etsy.