Gransnet forums

Chat

Prosecco

(125 Posts)
TiggyW Mon 30-May-22 23:57:43

It’s everywhere - at parties, weddings, the obligatory tipple if you happen to be in a hot tub, the free gift, the pub quiz prize…
Am I the only person who doesn’t like Prosecco?! It’s just fizz! ?

DillytheGardener Tue 31-May-22 00:04:53

I love it! But prefer champagne as it gives me a headache. ?

Scribbles Tue 31-May-22 00:21:21

Given a choice, I'd opt for a pint of decent ale over prosecco any day.

MiniMoon Tue 31-May-22 00:25:44

Prosecco is only good in an aperol spritz.
It was being sold in every bar/restaurant in Sorrento when we were there on holiday recently.
I'm not keen on champagne either.

BigBertha1 Tue 31-May-22 06:21:53

I'm not keen on it as to me it doesn't have a lot of taste. We prefer a good vintage Cava but overall I'm not a great one for fizz..gives me stomach ache I prefer a good NZ sauvignon.

Juliet27 Tue 31-May-22 06:24:09

Yes, my preference too BigBerthal

ElaineI Tue 31-May-22 07:06:31

Me too BigBertha1. Always used to be cava which I still quite like. Prosecco is ok but not too much of it and I am always the driver now so stick to soft drinks on the kind of occasions that you have fizz for.

J52 Tue 31-May-22 07:14:30

I’m not keen and prefer Champagne, but it is like all wines the better quality the better the taste IMO.
So a DOCG single grape Prosecco wine, say from the wine growing area of Treviso will taste better than a mixed grape Prosecco at around £6 from a Supermarket.

NotSpaghetti Tue 31-May-22 07:15:14

Prosecco varies a lot. I like some, others are not so good.

JaneJudge Tue 31-May-22 07:21:37

I find prosecco sickly and I think it is because the bubbles are too small. I love cava though

Lucca Tue 31-May-22 07:41:18

MiniMoon

Prosecco is only good in an aperol spritz.
It was being sold in every bar/restaurant in Sorrento when we were there on holiday recently.
I'm not keen on champagne either.

Agree about aperto spritz. I don’t like fizzy wine at all.

Katie59 Tue 31-May-22 07:50:09

Prosecco is the fashionable generic womens drink there are much nice sparking wines available including English. Prosecco varies enormously from the simply awful to the really quite nice, many on Gransnet will remember Babycham being “the” drink, best of all Brandy and Babycham!.

Kim19 Tue 31-May-22 07:53:47

I enjoy the occasional glass. Usually find it decidedly refreshing and kick starts my 'occasion'. Yep.....nice....

wildswan16 Tue 31-May-22 08:06:14

I'm probably the only person in the country who has never even tasted Prosecco!

notgran Tue 31-May-22 08:12:10

I love it. Prefer champagne but that is just for special occasions in my life, I'm not Patsy from Ab Fab wink Aperol Spritz is a lovely Summer drink too. wine As I am the only one in the family who enjoys prosecco, I usually just buy the little bottles. chin-chin sunshine

NotSpaghetti Tue 31-May-22 08:22:19

To be fair, there are also some unpleasant champagnes!

SuzieHi Tue 31-May-22 08:36:39

Try Cremant if you like champagne
( think it’s the same just not produced in the champagne region). M & S sell one.
I like the more expensive Proseccos - San Leo is good - usually £10-12 per bottle but often £7.99/£8.99 when on offer in Waitrose.

eazybee Tue 31-May-22 08:44:28

I like Prosecco, but think it is going the same way as Lambrusco and Pinot Grigio; that is, it is due to be despised.

Lexisgranny Tue 31-May-22 08:45:23

Kim19

I enjoy the occasional glass. Usually find it decidedly refreshing and kick starts my 'occasion'. Yep.....nice....

Katie59. I well remember having my first brandy and Babycham and hoping my mother would never find out. She was totally unconcerned that I was eighteen and a half when I left school, but worried a lot about ‘what people would think if they saw me drinking’. Today medication prohibits me, but I do enjoy half a glass of very dry champagne on special occasions.

Nandalot Tue 31-May-22 08:45:46

I’ve liked Prosecco even before it became fashionable when our book club enjoyed some when discussing Miss Garnet’s Angel by Sally Vickers in which Prosecco features.

NotSpaghetti Tue 31-May-22 08:46:27

Cartizze prosecco can definitely be lush...

Lexisgranny Tue 31-May-22 08:46:44

Sorry Kim 19 no idea how this got attached to your comment!

Sago Tue 31-May-22 09:40:00

I prefer the French “ Cremant “ the Alsace and Loire ones are often better than cheaper champagne.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 31-May-22 10:10:35

Can’t stand the stuff - have several bottles kindly given to us which will benefit the Church fete’s bottle stall or raffle. I only like some champagnes too - nothing very fizzy.

winterwhite Tue 31-May-22 10:57:14

Cremant here too. Always have it when the DDs come.