Gransnet forums

Chat

Seagulls.

(7 Posts)
cariad1963 Sat 18-Jun-22 17:17:48

I found an old thread discussing feeding seagulls in your garden. I have a single seagull who comes every summer from late Spring to late Autumn. She nests nearby and comes to my garden regularly, not every day and sometimes several times a day. This has been going on for several years. I have all the usual suspects coming in my garden, sparrows, robins, collared doves and so on and even have house sparrows nesting inside my porch. But, this same seagull is always on her own until she brings her fledgling chick with her, she causes no problems, I've never had poo on my laundry for example and no other seagull comes in. I strictly only feed her when she knocks on my window and yet, one of my neighbours thinks it's okay to fire his airgun at her into my garden. I have a cat that knows the seagull and they happily share the garde n and I'm afraid he'll hit my cat. I called the police for advice and I'm doing nothing wrong and my neighbour is doing plenty wrong, but, he still carries on. The police can only do something if I can provide proof, I have a wildlife cam in my garden, which he sent a terse letter about to me even though it only films my garden. This seagull visits me more often than my family does and is treated as a wild bird. Yes, gulls are a nuisance in many ways, but, as far as I'm concerned, the litter throwing, foul mouthed youngsters are far worse.

SpringyChicken Sat 18-Jun-22 17:38:35

Feeding seagulls is a complete no no imo. If you have ever been swooped on by a seagull trying to steal food, you’d stop immediately.
Also, if a seagull decides to nest in the vicinity, it can be a real hazard to humans. I had a friend who had to put up an umbrella to leave or enter her house because a seagull nested nearby and returned annually to raise a new brood.
Rather than encourage the seagull , you should be doing the opposite.

Smileless2012 Sat 18-Jun-22 17:48:19

I love seagulls. Love to hear them in the morning when I wake up as it's a daily reminder of how lovely it is here and how lucky we were to move to the coast 5.5 years.

That said SpringChicken is right. Feeding them takes away their fear of humans and they can be very aggressive which when you take into account their size, is very intimidating and potentially dangerous.

Kate1949 Sat 18-Jun-22 17:49:26

Bizarrely we have them in Birmingham.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-Jun-22 18:10:33

Herring gulls - if that is what she is- are protected. You should report your neighbour.

merlotgran Sat 18-Jun-22 22:34:22

If the neighbour aims at the seagull and presumably misses it, the air gun pellet could be embedded somewhere in your garden. If you can work out the trajectory you may be able to photograph it. Don’t remove it.

You shouldn’t be encouraging the seagull but I’m blowed if I’d put up with anyone firing any sort of gun into my garden.

The police are being pathetic.

MayBee70 Sat 18-Jun-22 22:36:36

It’s against the law to harm seagulls isn’t it?