Gransnet forums

Chat

Has anyone made a diesel car claim

(14 Posts)
Jaylou Wed 13-Jul-22 20:20:03

I know I am a bit slow to do this as it has been around a while. But has anyone made a claim to the manufacturer for a diesel car claim? When I bought my car I was talked into a diesel by the dealer, as at the time they were considered better for the environment, cheaper fuel and higher mpg. All that has changed.
There seem to be a lot of companies doing it, and I would obviously go for a "no win, no fee" option.
Does anyone have any guidance on a good firm, has anyone been successful?
BTW I have a Renault.

Thanks

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 13-Jul-22 20:28:08

Personally I wouldn’t, I would consider myself intelligent enough not to be talked into buying a vehicle without doing my own research beforehand.

So I wouldn’t be able to blame the manufacturer or the salesman.

That sounds harsher than it is meant to be, but sometimes no one is to blame.

crazyH Wed 13-Jul-22 20:32:27

Most of my family have Diesel cars but I don’t think any of them are planning to claim anything.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 13-Jul-22 20:34:37

PS. we both have Diesel cars.

Pittcity Wed 13-Jul-22 20:38:59

We joined a claim several years ago for a car we had in 2010. The model was on a list that had the component that changed the emission reading.
We had done our homework and as far as we were concerned all was well. It was the manufacturers that had pulled the wool over everyone's eyes. No amount of research would've helped and we would have put it down to experience if we hadn't read of the no win no fee action.
The law firm, Slater and Gordon, have reached an out of court settlement in the last few weeks and we are waiting for a cheque in the post.
We had to fill in a few questions online and they took DVLA records as proof of ownership. It was then just a case of waiting.

AreWeThereYet Wed 13-Jul-22 20:40:26

We bought ours primarily because of the environmental issues, partly for the cheaper fuel option. That's what the thinking was at the time. Since then we have found that the thinking wasn't right. Sadly science is a lot like history, we only know what we know now and tomorrow the picture could look very different. But it was our decision. I don't know anyone who is making a claim.

AreWeThereYet Wed 13-Jul-22 20:45:41

The model was on a list that had the component that changed the emission reading.

Wasn't there a similar problem with Volkswagon at some point? But that's an issue with an actual component, a different issue to the general claim being made because diesel isn't all it was cracked up to be.

Pittcity Wed 13-Jul-22 20:46:22

The claims are not because diesel isn't what we thought it was but because the manufacturers tampered with something that made the readings look OK when they weren't. Two completely different things. I'm not technical but this is how I understand it. Only certain cars were affected and you might've owned one in the past. No need to still own it to claim.

Pittcity Wed 13-Jul-22 20:47:34

AreWeThereYet

^The model was on a list that had the component that changed the emission reading.^

Wasn't there a similar problem with Volkswagon at some point? But that's an issue with an actual component, a different issue to the general claim being made because diesel isn't all it was cracked up to be.

Yes this was an Audi which was made by VW/Audi.

Jaylou Wed 13-Jul-22 21:13:50

I should add that I am not in the habit of claiming, I definitely want to get rid of the car, but am aware of this movement going on for the claims, so just testing the water really.
Nothing ventured nothing gained. And I have no intention of doing any of the donkey work myself, just give the details to a firm, if it fails, no problem, if it wins, a few extra £'s towards a new car.

AreWeThereYet Wed 13-Jul-22 21:16:48

Someone may come along soon Jaylou who can give you some advice - we haven't been much help, sorry

Sago Wed 13-Jul-22 21:23:01

Oopsadaisy1 A little harsh! What the OP is referring to are the manufacturers emissions claims.
We have put in a claim for a supposedly low emission Mercedes we bought a few years ago.
Here’s a link; www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjiw7OF2Pb4AhVB7e0KHYWLBNAYABABGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESbOD2sUGCTXL4MSpo-O92fXRZH8m_7ZXZwsgDlmnbz1i6nkasJBjR-wTzHUucCOHFHY8VchTE3fvRLWTgkorkrrGL8jLV0ULTb6zj8zD7GZahN9egOZr0zjXfhfmPNkLRMnnougX75CQqzl5jBA&sig=AOD64_006eua3w6454-Bi0OR3nIAZShGFA&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwjgrqyF2Pb4AhXNesAKHd6FDswQ0Qx6BAgFEAM

Jaylou Wed 13-Jul-22 21:45:06

Thank you Arewethereyet and Sago, I appreciate your positive contributions.
And Oopsadaisy1, please don't insult my intelligence, I always research before I buy anything, and never make an impulse buy. At the time the information in the public domain wasn't accurate. One wonders why you made such a post if all you can do is run down the OP and not make a contribution to the question asked.

I shall look at the links you have given and also at the company that Pittcity mentioned.
Thank you

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 13-Jul-22 21:57:46

In the OP it wasn’t mentioned that the thread was about the Emissions Scandal.

Of course no one knew that the claims made were ‘fixed’ by the car Manufacturers.