Gransnet forums

Chat

Very quick response from the council

(22 Posts)
HowVeryDareYou Fri 22-Jul-22 10:59:33

A street light outside my house wasn't working last night. I reported it, on their website, at 11.30. I looked out this morning, and a man was inspecting in (in one of those cherry-picker things). That was at 8.30. I got an email at 10am to say it has been fixed!

Is that the quickest response you've ever heard of? I'm amazed.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 22-Jul-22 11:02:48

Yes, I think it most certainly is. Many a time there's the response, 'we'll look into it' but no evidence of anything actually happening. Hats off to your local council.

Grammaretto Fri 22-Jul-22 12:04:36

wow! that is amazing. I am friends on facebook with my local councillor and she is very good but direct to the council for a street light repair - where do you live!

Grandmabatty Fri 22-Jul-22 12:06:07

That is a quick response! My food caddy was missed last week. I emailed the council at eight the following day and it was emptied by lunchtime.

icanhandthemback Fri 22-Jul-22 12:07:39

The street lights on my daughter's estate are run by the Management Company (as is the case of a lot of new estates) and I can tell you it is more likely to be a year and a day before anything gets done despite them paying an extra service charge for the privilege of street lights!

Kate1949 Fri 22-Jul-22 12:08:16

Our council are pretty good. Last week I contacted them re some rubbish someone had dumped on the canal bridge which we can see from our window. Within 24 hours the council had cleared it up. Unfortunately there is more there today.angry

Esspee Fri 22-Jul-22 12:18:09

Wow! Clearly you don’t live in Glasgow.

In your position I would be praising the council everywhere I could.

Calendargirl Fri 22-Jul-22 13:03:28

The lid on my garden waste bin broke, hanging off by its hinges. (I was to blame, it blew back in the wind when I opened it). I contacted the council, and within a day or so, a repair lorry arrived and replaced it, at no cost to me.

I was impressed.

Grammaretto Fri 22-Jul-22 14:50:30

I applied for a new wheelie bin on the council website and had to give reason.
I said, truthfully, that the lid had been eaten by squirrels.
When they brought the new bin the workers were very keen to see my old bin as apparently it had been the talk of the depot!
Now the new one has holes in it. I once opened the lid and a squirrel leapt out. What happens to the plastic they ingest?

Gymstagran Fri 22-Jul-22 15:22:03

It has taken me 7 weeks and many phone calls to get a second garden bin despite paying for the bin and the extra collection. I was promised delivery on 4 different days . I shall now make sure I always fill both bins.

NotSpaghetti Fri 22-Jul-22 15:45:12

I reported a water leak from a house on a busy main road near my home. The owners were absent and the water was running over the pavement into the road. It was due to freeze overnight so I was conscious it might cause someone to slip into the oncoming traffic. I phoned the council about 10am and when I walked past in the afternoon they were there checking it out!
I thought that was remarkable.
Some councils do respond quickly but it's really to do with capacity in my opinion.

HowVeryDareYou Fri 22-Jul-22 17:16:13

Grammaretto Nottingham. Our local council is Gedling Borough. Impressed with them.

HowVeryDareYou Fri 22-Jul-22 17:18:25

icanhandthemback I used to work for a company like that (RMG) as a Community Warden. The service was quite poor and the residents used to complain all the time about repairs/gardening etc not being done for months.

Vito Fri 22-Jul-22 18:49:58

My greyhound hurt herself very badly on some barbwire while chasing after a rabbit. We were walking through a wooded area used by dog walkers, family's with young children. The local council own and service the area. I phoned and complained , I met up with a chap from the council who agreed the wire fence was a danger and shouldn't be their and promptly took the lot down !!
I was expecting to have to argue my point and have to go further, pleased with the result, may stop any other dogs or children getting injured.

icanhandthemback Fri 22-Jul-22 19:38:37

HowVeryDareYou, and to make matters worse, although the lights weren't working as they should, they were charged extra for electricity they couldn't be using. This is part owned and part rental accommodation for the disabled who are already on a lower income. It is disgraceful.

HowVeryDareYou Fri 22-Jul-22 19:58:47

icanhandthemback I agree, it's disgraceful. The place I worked at as a Warden was the same - part-owned, part rented. Could a local councillor/MP get involved?

icanhandthemback Fri 22-Jul-22 20:34:06

HowVeryDareYou, That's what I'd do but it isn't my argument.

lixy Fri 22-Jul-22 20:42:35

My local council has just done a great job of upgrading the riverside walk, working around newly hatched goslings!

RichmondPark1 Fri 22-Jul-22 21:50:04

I moved house and on the first night discovered that the street light right outside my new house lit my bedroom like the pitch at Wembley. Rang the council the following morning to ask if anything could be done and within hours a man arrived with a cherry picker and fitted a guard on the back of the light. Such brilliant service. Second night I slept like a baby.

chantalwoodhead Wed 09-Nov-22 00:29:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

eazybee Wed 09-Nov-22 10:08:51

Write back to the Department involved and thank them; they get so many complaints a letter of thanks, which can be displayed, means a lot.

Oldbat1 Wed 09-Nov-22 13:52:37

Our county council take street light problems on line. All street lamps have a number so easy to report. Works well for those who have internet otherwise just need to phone with the number.