Gransnet forums

Chat

Unemployment and job vacancies

(18 Posts)
bevisp1 Tue 26-Jul-22 15:48:30

Firstly to say that I’m no mathematical geek, but searched up these figures from googling.
Recently I keep hearing on the news that there are so many unemployed and so many vacancies, particularly in hospitality. And saying that nobody wants to work these days.
So in 3 months to may 2022 is 1,280,000 unemployed, and
From feb-April 2022, 1,295,000 job vacancies. Hospitality alone has 174,000 between march-may 2022. Between jan-march 2022 the number of vacancies was larger than number of people unemployed!!
I realise that as people are at different levels/skills/professional or not, but could these jobs be filled with all the unemployed! A problem solved.

GagaJo Tue 26-Jul-22 15:53:47

These figures may well include zero hours contracts. Which are impossible for anyone responsible for maintaining the roof over their head.

Possibly also part-time work.

midgey Tue 26-Jul-22 15:55:28

If you are unemployed in the northeast a job in the southeast isn’t much use to you!

Ilovecheese Tue 26-Jul-22 15:56:32

How many of these vacancies are in London?

How many unemployed people who don't live in London could afford to move there?

How many of the hospitality jobs are in tourist areas?

How many unemployed people can afford to live in tourist areas?

How many employers are willing to train people up from scratch?

And that is just a start.

volver Tue 26-Jul-22 15:58:03

Around 3pm I was listening to Classic FM and Peter Mandelson was on the news, talking about the death of Trimble. DH and I made the observation that whether we agreed with these people's politics or not, they had the ability to think about things and draw sensible conclusions.

So for instance, they would never dream of saying that there were x job vacancies and x+15k unemployed people, so why don't all the unemployed people just take those jobs? Because they would realise that shop workers can't take a job as an airline pilot without training. Or that most physics graduates would make terrible carers. Or that people who live in John o-'Groats can't move to Sunderland to take on work as a binman.

What has happened to the UK? Have we no capability for complex thought any more? Do people think its all about numbers?

Ilovecheese Tue 26-Jul-22 16:07:22

Should a redundant sailor with P & O take a job as a pastry chef?

HousePlantQueen Tue 26-Jul-22 16:08:26

Yes Volver. Politicians and tabloid editors treat the electorate as idiots who are incapable of critical thought and analysis. Some would say this was how Brexit happened, but I couldn't possible comment.

When I hear politicians like Trimble, Brown, even Heseltine, I realise just how the standards have plummeted; fools, greedy, lying fools, put in place by a politically illiterate electorate.

To avoid being reported by the usual suspects, I do not of course, mean anyone on GN.

Chardy Tue 26-Jul-22 21:11:41

I know it was a long time ago, but I have a vague recollection from Economucs lessin that there is such a thing as natural unemployment. I think it was 3%. It accommodated people (usually women?) who'd moved area but not yest found a new job, those who couldn't find work that matched their skill set, experience or qualifications, the mismatch between where the jobs are and where the people are.
3% of a workforce of 40m is 1.2m

RichmondPark1 Tue 26-Jul-22 22:32:26

This is why an open and free market for immigrant workers is so important. They fill the jobs that other people are unable to do because they are in a fixed location, need more permanent work or need a certain level of pay or security in order to cover their outgoing.

We find ourselves needing 10 pastry chefs for the brief summer holiday season in a remote location. Pay isn't great. Do we try to recruit and retrain sailors with a pastry chef hankering thus lumbering ourselves with all the delay and cost that involves, or do we employ 10 immigrant pastry chefs who want to come to work in our country for a while (and pay tax here). It's the latter. It has always been the latter.

Chardy Wed 27-Jul-22 07:33:26

I agree with RichmondPark1. People coming any new country will usually go where the (unskilled) work is, especially if they've come from an awful environment and want to restart their lives as soon as possible.

Dickens Wed 27-Jul-22 08:39:17

volver

Around 3pm I was listening to Classic FM and Peter Mandelson was on the news, talking about the death of Trimble. DH and I made the observation that whether we agreed with these people's politics or not, they had the ability to think about things and draw sensible conclusions.

So for instance, they would never dream of saying that there were x job vacancies and x+15k unemployed people, so why don't all the unemployed people just take those jobs? Because they would realise that shop workers can't take a job as an airline pilot without training. Or that most physics graduates would make terrible carers. Or that people who live in John o-'Groats can't move to Sunderland to take on work as a binman.

What has happened to the UK? Have we no capability for complex thought any more? Do people think its all about numbers?

If you simply look at the diverse reasons why individuals are currently unemployed, their ages, abilities, their financial commitments, and then also compare some of the jobs on offer (zero hour contracts included?) - it becomes obvious that this is not simply a mathematical equation - without having to do any research.

And doesn't Capitalism itself require a certain percentage of unemployment?

paddyann54 Wed 27-Jul-22 08:39:58

Dont know about that Chardy my gynaecologist left when Brexit was forced on us.He was Greek and a fantastic doctor .Nurses also disapeared in large numbers .
With the highest level of young people who go straight to higher education and a diminishing population we really need the EU workers in ALL fields.A lot of our young think menial jobs are beneath them ,OK while they are at Uni but not for after.
I imagine England is in much the same position.They all want high paying jobs without starting at the bottom of the ladder .That'll account for a lot of your unemployed

JaneJudge Wed 27-Jul-22 08:45:08

People with severe disabilities and illnesses who cannot work are also included in the unemployment figures as they have to bizarrely claim work based benefits such as universal credit, income support or employment support allowance

aggie Wed 27-Jul-22 08:52:11

Judging by the variety of delivery men and women who turn up at my door recently , a lot of jobs are being filled on a temporary basis , an elderly person puffing up my front steps isn’t going to last long at that job , a eager young person flying up them is going to be bored to bits soon
It seems that a few people get a job thrust on them due to circumstances, pride in a job , and proper training has gone out the window these days

Riverwalk Wed 27-Jul-22 09:01:02

A group of east European Carers that I knew, about 5 of them, used to share a house and have various jobs between them e.g. caring, factory work, food processing. They weren't exactly hot-bedding in the small house but they did come and go.

They varied in ages from 20s to 60, and various relatives used to come over to fill in gaps, for example if one carer got a live-in placement for two weeks, someone would come and take over her day job. On Brexit those who'd been here some years formalised their status so they have no problem but the ones who used to come and go can no longer do so.

If you replicate this scenario throughout the country you can see why we are short of workers for low-paid but essential roles.

But no fear, staff from India are increasingly being employed. So for those Brexiteers whose primary reason for voting out was immigration... Ha bloody Ha!

JaneJudge Wed 27-Jul-22 09:03:48

I cringe every time I see 'fast paced working environment' > It means you will have short breaks either side of the day and will be set unrealistic targets and may even be paid price per piece rather than an hourly rate and it's apparently all legal now

volver Wed 27-Jul-22 11:19:12

Nobody wants to work anymore.

Dated 1894.

www.boredpanda.com/nobody-wants-work-twitter/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

JaneJudge Wed 27-Jul-22 12:10:03

That is a good article. I have a real life, right now story atm as one of my nephew is on a gap year doing a physical job just to earn money between a contract. He is young and fit and educated and in his early 30s but used to doing an office, sedentary job (not an insult as he uses his brain) The gap job is full time, 50hr weeks, unsociable hours and he actually said to me he doesn't know how the blokes (and they are mainly men) manage to do the same hours (they don't) and how they cope with it physically (again they don't as many have injuries) So I suppose it's all well for us to sit behind a computer and say why wont Angela next door pick some gooseberries or why wont Terry work in Lidl warehouse - the truth is these jobs are hard physically and wear and tear on the body is real. It's why people in traditional working class occupations died younger and it still happens. Anyway, what does it matter?