Gransnet forums

Chat

What is the best advice you have been given ?

(80 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 26-Jul-22 16:25:06

I always remember my mother , who was a health visitor , telling me when I had a small baby not to worry about dirty old men but to worry about lovely clean children harbouring germs. In those days measle , mumps and chickenbox were still common. It still is a good piece of advice.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 26-Jul-22 16:29:56

That it’s ok to say ‘no’. It took a long time but I got there. The breakthrough came (I may have mentioned this before) when I was attending an AGM. The Secretary hadn’t turned up. Someone said, ‘oh, LLFL knows shorthand, she can take the minutes’. Very red faced and embarrassed, I refused.

Mine Tue 26-Jul-22 16:35:02

My dad always told my sister and I to "Never let the sun set on your anger"...His sister fell out with her dad because he wouldn't give her a lift home as he felt unwell...She stormed out his house....He died of a heart attack during the night and my dad's sister broke her heart....Hence my dad's advice to my us..

AGAA4 Tue 26-Jul-22 16:36:13

My little son aged 18 months caught measles from some children he played with when he was on holiday. He was very ill with the doctor visiting every day for a while.

The best advice I have had is never compare yourself to anyone else. They may seem better off but you don't know what goes on in lives of others.

Redhead56 Tue 26-Jul-22 19:05:03

My dad said to all of us speak your mind and stand up for yourself. My mum was the same so we all grew up very outspoken.

Blinko Tue 26-Jul-22 19:10:08

Best advice from my mother: Count your blessings. Its the only time she ever commented on my life as an adult. Sound advice and I've never forgotten it.

Mollygo Tue 26-Jul-22 19:19:43

Let it go! Easier said than done in some circumstances, but my Grandma said holding on to anger would harm me more than the person who caused it.

Charleygirl5 Tue 26-Jul-22 19:26:09

Make the most of each day because you are a long time dead.

vampirequeen Tue 26-Jul-22 19:42:00

When I met DH he told me that I should never be embarrassed or worry what people think. He said that I could do anything I wanted as long as it didn't hurt anyone else and what they thought was irrelevant. So now I climb trees, paddle in the sea, dance as if no one is watching, laugh and do a host of other things that might seem daft or childish to others. I'm thinking (just thinking atm) of joining the Mad Mermaids one morning for a North Sea dip. I think I've decided to join them but then I see the colour of their legs when they come out of the icy water lol.

Nannarose Tue 26-Jul-22 20:43:39

Really, like Blinko: count your blessings.

But I mostly pass on this rule: all children & pets should have 2-syllable names, as they are easier to shout!

GagaJo Tue 26-Jul-22 20:57:42

Not to put everything into my work. My Head of Department warned me that if my work was my whole life, when I retired, I'd have nothing. And she was right. It was everything to me. It's still important now, but not as much.

BigBertha1 Tue 26-Jul-22 20:59:32

Sleep on it.

Devorgilla Wed 27-Jul-22 15:05:19

I can echo a lot of the above. One of my favourites from my maternal grandmother is "Love many, trust few, but always paddle your own canoe'.

Fennel Wed 27-Jul-22 17:20:11

From Dad;
When in doubt, say nowt.

Shelflife Wed 27-Jul-22 17:24:26

From Mum
" Never walk downstairs wearing your reading glasses"

Yammy Wed 27-Jul-22 20:20:54

Living life is not a rehersal.

Urmstongran Wed 27-Jul-22 20:28:02

My late mum -

Don’t be worrying about your adult girls.
Just be their safety net to drop into should they need it.

Blondiescot Wed 27-Jul-22 20:52:29

'This too, shall pass'. Reminds you to make the most of the good times while they are here, for they will pass - but also, no matter how bad things get, to hang in there, for they will also pass.

NanKate Wed 27-Jul-22 21:50:17

My Dad said ‘always do the right thing, however hard that is’.

Lucca Wed 27-Jul-22 22:22:50

“Why don’t you train to teach (I was 40) I think you’d be good at it”

Before exams my lovely father always told me to read the question carefully.

I always told my students to “go with your first thought/answer.”

biglouis Thu 28-Jul-22 01:31:44

My grandmother used to say that "Dull women keep immaculate homes" because she knew I loathed and despised housework.

Beautful Thu 28-Jul-22 09:04:55

Quite a few ... but a couple that comes to mind is what my late husband said ... your money is as good as theirs ... especially if we popped out then popped for a meal ... I felt like I should have been dressed better ... another is ... better in your pocket than theirs ... how true is that aswell

snowberryZ Thu 28-Jul-22 09:30:02

biglouis

My grandmother used to say that "Dull women keep immaculate homes" because she knew I loathed and despised housework.

Love this one and couldn't agree more

VB000 Thu 28-Jul-22 09:37:07

snowberryZ

biglouis

Love this one and couldn't agree more

Totally agree! Also, it's true that life is not a dress rehearsal!

A driving tip I was given when I was learning to drive, many many years ago was to avoid being dazzled when driving at night, to look at the gutter instead of straight ahead at oncoming traffic. Found it very helpful over the years!

Shinamae Thu 28-Jul-22 09:39:50

Never be afraid to ask…..