Gransnet forums

Chat

Allergic to necklace

(13 Posts)
sunfield91 Sat 30-Jul-22 18:20:28

Hello all, I treated myself to a “silver “ necklace from * & S,it’s lovely. I’ve worn it three times and each time where the necklace touches my skin I end up with red splodges and a burning feeling where it’s touched me.

I’m not inclined to think that this is a fault of the store but don’t know what to do about it for several reasons. I would like to know if other people have had this reaction on this particular necklace, to me it doesn’t seem fit for purpose, but I really do like it.
I wondered whether to coat it with clear nail polish and that might stop the irritation, And not bother to ring customer services up It’s actually really well made
What do other people think please should I ring the store and say what’s happened?

Elegran Sat 30-Jul-22 18:30:23

If it is claimed to really be silver, and you have never been allergic to silver before, then get back to the seller.

Your reaction is more likely to be due to nickel alloyed with the silver. dermnetnz.org/topics/jewellery-allergy

The clear varnish may help, but if you use that on it then the seller may refuse to refund your money.

Hopikins Sat 30-Jul-22 18:35:53

Nickel is in a lot of jewellery and a very common allergy problem. I suffer very badly from it. My only suggestion is to wear it over a piece of clothing, a high neck blouse or a polo neck jumper etc. DO NOT keep wearing it next to your skin as
you can create a situation where your whole body reacts against it.

MaizieD Sat 30-Jul-22 18:40:36

I'd contact the store first.

Was it actually sold as 'sterling silver' or just 'silver'? Sterling silver is silver alloyed with a tiny amount of copper (thank you mr google) to make it harder and more workable.. It shouldn't be allergenic.

I suspect that if it was just labelled as 'silver' it could be anything.

sunfield91 Sat 30-Jul-22 19:34:55

Thank you all for replying, sorry I didn’t make it clear it wasn’t sold as silver at all.
Hopikins that’s really good info,didn’t realise that.
Will mull over whether to let the store know

Farmor15 Sat 30-Jul-22 20:59:33

Some people are allergic to nickel, as others have mentioned. One of our children is- the snappers on baby vests would cause a reaction and when older found it difficult to find a watch as many have nickel in case and/or fastening.

StarDreamer Sat 30-Jul-22 21:28:56

Does that allergy happen with UK 'silver' coins?

welbeck Sat 30-Jul-22 21:31:30

how was it described

Purpledaffodil Sat 30-Jul-22 22:05:39

I discovered I had a nickel allergy after I bought a new watch strap which must have had nickel in the buckle. Horrible itchy rash in exact area was the result.
Personally I wouldn’t risk the necklace but only you can decide that one

GagaJo Sat 30-Jul-22 22:06:42

I've had that problem with necklaces before. One in particular. I really liked it, but always got a red, swollen wedge of skin along the back of my neck from it. Had to stop wearing it in the end.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 06-Aug-22 15:35:07

From your post, Sunfield, I gathered that you bought the necklace knowing it was not silver, but not knowing what it actually is made of.

I would ring and ask if there is a possiblity of a refund if you return it, as you have bought it, unaware of the fact that it apparently contains something you are allergic to, as you have never before had an allergic reaction.

I doubt you will get your money back, but it is worth a try.

I would advise against either coating it with nail varnish and simply dispose of it. I didn't think it was still legal to sell anything containing nickel without clearly stating the fact, as many people are allergic to nickel.

Whatever the substance is that you are reacting to, the reactions are likely to become more serious if you go on using whatever causes them.

If there is no description of what the metal the necklace is made of, ask the store if they can check this for you, so you can avoid the allergen in future.

HowVeryDareYou Sat 06-Aug-22 16:28:37

I've had an allergy to nickel for many years and don't wear any jewellery because of it. Nickel is present even in 9 carat and 22 carat gold (Google it) so I haven't even worn a wedding ring for 36 years.

Luckygirl3 Sat 06-Aug-22 17:40:47

I am allergic to nickel - makes glasses a bit expensive as even the nickel screws in them set it off!