Gransnet forums

Chat

Fuming is an understatement

(46 Posts)
minxie Tue 02-Aug-22 14:29:03

So I’ve been hit by another car, and the driver admitted liability to my face. Now it’s a big fat denial from the other party via the insurance. To say I’m furious is an understatement. I know this person is lying and there is nothing I can do as there are no witnesses
People have no morals any more, so I’m just just having a little moan

Smileless2012 Tue 02-Aug-22 14:31:00

Moan away minxie unfortunately there's nothing anyone can do about a liar. Hope you're OKflowers.

GagaJo Tue 02-Aug-22 14:43:48

Write a very good and highly literate account of the accident including quotes from the driver.

This has happened to me twice and both times my insurance company has pushed back on the claim and it's not affected my insurance.

M0nica Tue 02-Aug-22 14:57:09

Totally agree with GagaJo. That happened to me. I sent the chairman of the other driver's insurance company a diagram of where exactly the accident happened and where I had come from (the accident happened on a roundabout). They told their client that they had accepted that he was liable.

nadateturbe Tue 02-Aug-22 15:03:54

Agree with last two. Happened to me.

Mattsmum2 Tue 02-Aug-22 15:40:17

This happened to me too. I was stationary and the other car reversed in to me. The insurance company said the other driver couldn’t say if I was moving or not! Was a rubbish experience. I now have a dashcam

Redhead56 Tue 02-Aug-22 15:50:16

My husband had a knock last month we both have dash-cam in our cars and any incidents are recorded. Both parties took photos of minor damage on the cars and exchanged details. There was a mutual agreement it was knock for knock but await the outcome from insurance. It’s a pain in the arse when insurance get involved making a meal out of a small claim.

Devorgilla Tue 02-Aug-22 16:02:10

It’s always a good idea to take photos at the time of damage and position of both cars. If neither of you did that, all is not lost. As MOnica advises, do a detailed diagram and send in photo of damage. My daughter worked on road claims for a number of years and says you can often tell who is at fault by the direction of the damage and scratches. Remember you pay your insurance so that they do the work for you. Good luck with it.

minxie Tue 02-Aug-22 16:29:28

Thanks Ladies, I have photos of both damaged cars and once I have calmed down I will do exactly as suggested and go right to the top, and write a detailed account
I absolutely refuse to be cheated out of the truth.
Thanks again

PollyDolly Tue 02-Aug-22 16:36:41

It is great that you have photos of the damaged cars and I hope you took some photos immediately after the collision and before the vehicles moved, insurance assessors aren't stupid and will be able to determine who was at fault by the damage and position of the vehicles.
Good luck with getting this sorted out

nadateturbe Tue 02-Aug-22 16:58:29

I took photos of the area and it made my case stronger.
Good luck.

M0nica Tue 02-Aug-22 17:12:58

I was also once involved in multiple shunt on the motorway, no injuries or deaths, and someone accused me of hitting his car and pushing it into another. I was able to show that where the damage was on each car was incompatible with his account, but fitted mine.

Kim19 Tue 02-Aug-22 18:22:22

I've given up on insurance claiming. Last two dents in my wee treasure car have been inflicted by young ladies (circa 30) who were simply not paying attention. I've paid for the repair myself.

Sara1954 Tue 02-Aug-22 22:01:41

We have also been in this position, a young lad skidded straight into the side of us, and despite the fact that you can hardly smash into someone’s car from the side, that is exactly what he said we did. He also said he had witnesses in the car, he didn’t.

We were at the point of going to court , when he finally withdrew his claim.

More recently, on a tight roundabout, my car and another car touched, just literally momentarily touched. It wasn’t really wide enough for two cars, but he squeezed in beside me.

There wasn’t a mark on my car, but we exchanged details. The insurance company rang me a couple of days later saying he was making a claim for injuries not apparent at the time of the accident.

Absolute rubbish, I was furious that they seemed to accept his word for it.

25Avalon Tue 02-Aug-22 22:06:43

Too many insurance companies have a knock for knock policy whereby each Insurance company pay for their clients own damage regardless of fault so make sure your insurance company Perdue it and also get back any excess.

25Avalon Tue 02-Aug-22 22:07:28

Perdue not perdue

Luckygirl3 Tue 02-Aug-22 23:07:28

Yup - happened to me too. On an isolated country lane - young lad speeding - he admitted it was him and was very concerned about me and the two GC in the back of the car.

Lo and behold the insurance company say it was 50:50 - who would have thought?

I know why he went along with it - his insurance premium as a young person would have gone through the roof and possibly have become out of his reach. And of course we know why the insurance companies do it.

I was furious, but there was noting I could do so had to just bite the bullet.

Teacheranne Tue 02-Aug-22 23:53:42

I skidded on some ice and just caught the rear side of a car, totally my fault. We changed insurance details and I contacted my insurance company. About three months after my car was repaired my insurance company contacted me to say that the other driver was now claiming that she was injured in the accident - sprained thumb and whiplash. I was shocked as I was only barely moving when I nudged her and her car was not damaged, just my side bumper where it hit a bollard.

The company said it was not worth the legal costs of disputing the claim even though they doubted it unless I could remember which hand she used when writing her details down! It turned out the driver was a GP and it was a fellow GP at her surgery who diagnosed the whiplash.

I was cross but luckily I had protected no claims and my annual premium did not go up on renewal. It’s all a bit dodgy really.

Sara1954 Wed 03-Aug-22 06:10:47

Teacheranne
Infuriating isn’t it, there is no way in this world the other driver could have any injury at all, the two cars barely touched.
I sent the insurance company photos of my undamaged car, and drawings of the incident, but they still chose to believe him.

Allsorts Wed 03-Aug-22 06:45:59

My. Sympathies, it's a nightmare.

Luckygirl3 Wed 03-Aug-22 10:26:39

Insurance companies take the easiest route. They are not interested in the truth.

M0nica Wed 03-Aug-22 16:00:56

Here is some good news.

Earlier this year DH was driving my car (with me in it as well) down a main road, when a young man shot across in front of us at a cross roads with a minor road, we couldn't avoid hitting him, not hard, and obliquely, no injuries, the young man kept saying it was his fault and he hadn't seen us bright blue recently cleaned car, driving down a half mile or more long straight with the sun shining on it!!!!!!

When I rang my insurance company, halfway through sdescription of the accident, the claims staff said to me. 'This is a no fault accident, we will get everything, including your excess back from the other driver', even before I could say it was.

It seems that as she typed in the details of where the accident happened it was coming up on her screen on googlemaps and she could instantly see that no way could the accident be anyone's fault but the other drivers. Three cheers for insuring through the AA

lizzypopbottle Thu 04-Aug-22 11:45:03

If it ever happens again and you're not too shaken up, get a photo on your phone, or several, before either vehicle moves. Or get a dash cam with front and rear cameras and make sure it's always operating. They plug in to the lighter socket. Nextbase are a Which best buy. Then you can tell the perpetrator not to worry, it's all recorded on your dash cam. Mine activates if my car is hit while parked too.

Nannashirlz Thu 04-Aug-22 11:46:42

My advice would be get a camera no one can lie with them in your car as you got video proof

vissos Thu 04-Aug-22 11:52:24

I'm guessing people admit fault at the time because it stops the argument. Unless you record the conversation it's worth exactly the paper it's printed on ?