Gransnet forums

Chat

Pseudoscience

(11 Posts)
Elegran Mon 08-Aug-22 09:18:24

I can't add anything to Carl Sagan, really. There is a saying about religion, that people who don't believe in it will believe all kinds of even dafter things, and the same is true of earthly knowledge.

People who don't trust the result of years of patient accumulation of data and the putting together of thousands of observations can latch on to the ravings of some fantasising fanatic. They don't have the knowledge or experience themselves to look at all that data and reach a conclusion, so they take as gospel the way that two completely unrelated things have been presented to them as affecting one another.

Add to that the way that every student exercise - carried out by someone who has had one year of learning the basics , and intended only to give them practice in doing all that data collection - can be triumphantly published online, picked up by a media reporter who knows absolutely zero about the subject but is hungry for copy, and treated as the latest expert research. A lot of the more outlandish "Scientists say that . . . " news items are of that type.

For some hilarious examples of false ,see www.fastcompany.com/3030529/hilarious-graphs-prove-that-correlation-isnt-causation though these were collected deliberately for a laugh - they weren't quoted as true.

Elegran Mon 08-Aug-22 09:20:42

"For some hilarious examples of false . . . " should have had "correlation" at the end of it.

Luckygirl3 Mon 08-Aug-22 09:31:40

Very amusing graphs.

nanna8 Mon 08-Aug-22 10:02:25

I heard a phrase along the lines of if there’s nothing there, anything can get in which sort of supports elegran’s post.

PinkCosmos Mon 08-Aug-22 10:06:11

Carl Sagan is spot on. Can't believe that was from 1995 shock

Caleo Mon 08-Aug-22 10:56:45

Children in school and students at an academic university course are taught the sceptical method.

FarNorth Mon 08-Aug-22 11:16:27

I dunno.
This one looks pretty convincing.

Elegran Mon 08-Aug-22 11:29:41

However their study projects are not generally about cutting-edge research ( though my grandson's was greeted by his tutor with "A useful thesis for once!") Nor are the conclusions they reach generally earth-shattering.

It is journalists who report those conclusions in words like "Scientists have found . . " in lagr bold letters. Not in scientific journals, but in the papers written and read by non-scientists.

We have had threads started on Gransnet, triggered by student papers which have been sensationally reported as though they were breakthroughs by experienced and respected researchers. Replying posters are scornful of science as "teaching your granny to suck eggs" or "Scientists have no knowledge of the real world" as a result of believing that one of those respected researchers is getting public money to prove that rain falls downwards, or some such thing.

Elegran Mon 08-Aug-22 11:31:35

FarNorth

I dunno.
This one looks pretty convincing.

Stabbed in the shower by envious competitors who are over the hill at 17

benad8686 Mon 08-Aug-22 11:36:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Caleo Tue 09-Aug-22 11:35:39

The more you use your bullshit detector the better.