Gransnet forums

Chat

Denim

(71 Posts)
Gangan1 Tue 21-Mar-17 10:43:40

I recently went shopping with a friend and I bought a pair of denim three quarter jeans. I have several pairs of these for holidays etc. She said do you really need them as at the end of the year you will be 70 and denim should not be worn. I still bought them am I too old to wear denim.

tiggypiro Tue 21-Mar-17 10:50:51

Perhaps your friend thinks you should be in crimpelene Gangan1. Just think of the advantages of easy wash and no ironing. On second thoughts stick to your denim !

henetha Tue 21-Mar-17 10:51:07

No. No-one is ever too old to wear denim. Haven't we agreed on here before that we can wear whatever we like, and ignore the fashion police. grin
I bet you will look great in your three-quarter denim jeans.

MawBroon Tue 21-Mar-17 11:05:34

"Denim should not be worn"??? What century is the woman in. Good grief!!
The only thing I ever question is why exactly I feel the regular need to buy yet another pair of denim jeans more or less exactly the same as all the others!!

HildaW Tue 21-Mar-17 12:54:19

Methinks the green eyed monster might be around!

The only rule I have about denim is that men over 40 should not wear baggy jeans and white trainers!

tanith Tue 21-Mar-17 13:04:16

Rubbish!! wear what you like and take no notice of your 'friend'.

Beammeupscottie Tue 21-Mar-17 13:16:00

Load of cobblers; you can wear denim at any age, whatever your size, and look nice. Bit of jealousy there, methinks.

hildajenniJ Tue 21-Mar-17 13:36:14

I'm fast approaching 66, and am sitting here in my denim jeggings. You can wear jeans at any age.

M0nica Tue 21-Mar-17 15:54:20

I am in my mid 70s and I still wear denim and have no intention of stopping.

Mapleleaf Tue 21-Mar-17 16:20:39

Gangan1 wear your denim! If you feel comfortable, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. ?

Rinouchka Tue 21-Mar-17 16:21:13

Gangan1, your friend sounds awful! Wear what you like. I plan to wear denim even past my 100th birthday in 33 years' time!

What older women should not wear is a bikini, even if slim. Now that is a fact, imo!

Karanlouise Tue 21-Mar-17 19:52:37

Gangan1 i can't think of any reason not to wear denim at any age, good for you. Enjoy. smile

grannypiper Wed 22-Mar-17 08:00:47

Denim is fine but i have to admit i did get to 40 and think i was too old for denim and trainers together

grannypiper Wed 22-Mar-17 08:01:19

Now i dont care grin

Anya Wed 22-Mar-17 08:09:30

What a strange idea! Take another friend next time you go clothes shopping - or better still, go alone and trust your own judgement.

Gangan1 Wed 22-Mar-17 10:31:26

Thank you one and all the denims are on this morning.

rosesarered Wed 22-Mar-17 10:33:10

Go on Gangan put some stylish rips in them.grin
The difference is, when older, our jeans are clean and pressed.smile

Coolgran65 Wed 22-Mar-17 12:42:07

roses jeans pressed but hopefully not with a crease smile

Coolgran65 Wed 22-Mar-17 12:44:35

I am nearly 69 and wear jeans and jeggings, also wear leggings with casual dresses.... to hide my veins.

Your friend has a lot to learn smile

winifred01 Thu 23-Mar-17 10:42:10

I am 80 and wear denim! Look good with a tunic.
I don't like elderly ladies with flabby arms on show, they look really horrible. Hide them!

nipsmum Thu 23-Mar-17 10:46:27

Wear what you like on your legs but .cover your upper arms if you have bingo wings. Flabby upper arms should not be seen.

nannynormal Thu 23-Mar-17 10:46:45

So a day before your 70th birthday you can wear denim but not the next day. I am 72 and wear denim all the time. I wear what I want and what suits me.

nellgwin Thu 23-Mar-17 10:49:22

Yes I also had a friend who told me that women over 60 shouldn't wear denim, seeing as she was 70 and still wearing denim, I told her stuff that I'll wear what I want, now 70and still proud in denim. Now crimplin trousers ??

Poly580 Thu 23-Mar-17 11:06:23

I had a friend (introduced via a fb friend) who insulted me each time we went shopping. i wore an outfit that I had been complemented on many times and she called me a eccentric dresser. Some weeks later I wore the same outfit and was told that she had consulted her 14 year old son on my pants and that he wouldn't let her out looking like that. She also told me that She thought I would be like Joan Collins when older. I politely told her that she was the only friend I had that constantly insulted me. Her reply was you should see what I would be like if I didn't like you.
She is no longer my friend....no argument, just walked away.
Your friend is jealous of you and you need to get rid of her. Why should you put up with somebody who is rude and insulting and spoiling your day.
No this person is out of my life I realise how toxic she really was.
By the way, my pants are black, like leggings towards the bottom but a French pleat at the waist, nothing outrageous....much like your denim x

Jayanna9040 Thu 23-Mar-17 11:11:41

You know what nipsmum? If people don't like my flabby arms they can look the other way!
Can't think what I would wear on the bottom half if I didn't wear denim.