Gransnet forums

Chat

Golden Wedding anniversary gift.

(41 Posts)
Marelli Fri 22-Nov-19 08:36:52

Our friends will be celebrating their Golden Wedding anniversary next month, and I haven't got the foggiest idea what to get them as a gift.
Any ideas, anyone?

Lilypops Fri 22-Nov-19 08:41:58

If they like gardening , there is a beautiful yellow rose called Golden Wedding , we received one last year and it was a lovely rose and a gift that keeps on coming year after year,(Hopefully)

Lilypops Fri 22-Nov-19 08:43:52

Or maybe a voucher for a meal for two at their favourite restaurant that they can use when all the celebrations have died down ,

suziewoozie Fri 22-Nov-19 08:48:47

Sara Miller for Portmeirion SMCY79036-XG Cake Plate S/2-Light Grey Boxed Set, White/Gold www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JNGMJP1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_B-51DbXVNK9Q6?tag=gransnetforum-21
last year for my friends, I bought several items for my friends anniversary from this range. As you can see, there is gold in the decoration and as my friends love birds, it was doubly appropriate. I got the small cake plates, cake forks, two mugs and a large cake plate. They come beautifully boxed as well.

suziewoozie Fri 22-Nov-19 08:52:53

Also the cake slice which was gold coloured metal

annsixty Fri 22-Nov-19 08:54:31

Someone bought us that Golden Wedding rose and someone else a voucher for out favourite local restaurant , now sadly closed.
The least useful was a years subscription to English Heritage, we were already members of NT, unfortunately there are no properties within 50 miles of us!
We had a fair number of bottles if wine, very much appreciated and garden loungers from our S, very useful.
For friends, who let’s face it mostly have everything by then, a garden plant or foodie gifts are ideal.

suziewoozie Fri 22-Nov-19 09:00:02

For our last significant anniversary ( not Golden) we had lots of good bottles of wine. I wrote the name of the giver on the back of the label and sent a thank you email when we actually drank it.

Marelli Fri 22-Nov-19 09:01:29

Some really good ideas here. A rose bush sounds good, but they only have a, small slabbed area with pots - though perhaps the rose would be OK in a pot, if it was big enough. ?

TwiceAsNice Fri 22-Nov-19 09:08:43

Roses grow well in a pot. I only have a large balcony as I live in a flat but my rose thrives. I think the rose present sounds lovely. You could perhaps do a non keeping present like champagne or chocolates to go with it and wrap in gold paper/ bottle bag

annsixty Fri 22-Nov-19 09:19:17

Just remembered one I gave to a friend, a standard lavender plant in a nice pot to stand by their front door.

Teetime Fri 22-Nov-19 09:22:07

I think the rose bushes, bay trees etc is a lovely idea. What I would definitely not buy is any kind of ornament - Flog It is full of older people saying they are decluttering and o one wants their stuff. A treat like a restaurant meal, theatre tickets etc is usually appreciated. If housebound how about a subscription to Netflix

Aepgirl Fri 22-Nov-19 11:06:55

My sister and brother-in-law celebrated their 50th recently and, as I knew they needed nothing for their home, I bought them an afternoon tea 'experience' at a really lovely country hotel. They were thrilled, and never having been there before, have visited again recently, and still talk about it.

Kim19 Fri 22-Nov-19 11:32:47

I'm in the throes of a very special celebration and, I tell you, the meeting up with friends and family for lunch, AT and dinner are better than any 'stuff' no matter how beautiful or spectacular. One little tip I would (somewhat reluctantly) give is, do not send flowers. I was overwhelmed beyond the point of pleasure. Never imagined that could be possible. I now consider it the easy option. If the person (people) is important then do something personal. I've had visitors from near and far and outing treats beyond belief. All pretty simple but just wonderful and NO stuff. Give a gift of yourself and forward dating is highly acceptable - something to look forward to - a theatre/cinema/coffee get-together. Just this morning I received a Cornish clotted cream package for immediate consumption (I complied!!). I tell you a little bit of company, simplicity and imagination is all that is required. Go for it. Good luck!

Calendargirl Fri 22-Nov-19 11:36:44

It’s sad but you always see anniversary items in charity shops. I agree with another poster that as you get older, you probably don’t want more china and ornaments, and the AC certainly don’t want to be getting rid of it in the fullness of time.

annsixty Fri 22-Nov-19 11:41:45

When friends of ours, both widowed and in their seventies married, they specified no presents at all but that if appropriate they were invited to dinner at the guests house.
They had lots of invites and we complied.
I think they had months of lovely evenings and so of course did we when they came to us.

jaylucy Fri 22-Nov-19 11:54:18

While it no doubt is lovely to give and receive things, I am still clearing out items that were from my parent's 40th and 50th , as well as 25th! None of which have any use!
A rose bush, gold leaved shrub, patio container are all pretty reasonably priced or how about arranging for a tree to be planted in their name or sponsor an animal they like, give a donation to a charity they support, voucher for an afternoon tea or you may even be able to arrange for afternoon tea to be delivered.
Or how about getting together with other friends and pay for a weekend away somewhere in a hotel ?
One year my siblings and I clubbed together to pay for a weeks holiday in Devon that they thoroughly enjoyed - it was the first one on their own without children or grandchildren since their honeymoon !

Or maybe you coul

Noni Fri 22-Nov-19 11:59:45

We invited a couple to a meal out, with us. We agreed a date with them and spent a lovely lunch in a special place. They are still talking about it and it was 2 years ago. So enjoyable for us as well as them. And no more "things" that they probably didn't need, just lovely memories.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 22-Nov-19 12:13:53

Few ideas on this Golden Wedding anniversary gifts page too. smile

Marelli Fri 22-Nov-19 12:15:09

I do agree with the 'stuff', no doubt given with much love at the time of the anniversary, that has to be moved on due to lack of room in cabinets, etc. In fact, this particular friend had the problem of 'moving on' Silver and Golden anniversary china that came from her in-laws' home. My friend is 80.
She is an animal lover, but he isn't, otherwise a donation in their name to an animal charity would be good.
annsixty, that would've left lovely memories for all the friends involved.

BladeAnnie Fri 22-Nov-19 12:17:37

When my mum and dad celebrated their golden wedding a number of years ago, I bought a Christmas ornament shaped as a tree made entirely of gold baubles (it was a December anniversary). It was very well received and makes an appearance every year

Marelli Fri 22-Nov-19 12:26:59

BladeAnnie, that also sounds a lovely idea - bringing back Golden anniversary memories each year.
They got married on Friday 13 December, (but thankfully haven't been dogged by bad luck)!

Humbertbear Fri 22-Nov-19 13:50:42

We set up a Just giving page and as a result £1000 was donated to our local hospice. Some people gave us champagne and one lovely friend embroidered a personalised sampler

JackyB Fri 22-Nov-19 14:02:33

I had sweatshirts printed for my parents saying "This shirt was a present from my grandchildren for my Golden Wedding Anniversary"

Apparently they were too big so my Dad wore the one that was meant for Mum and she took in the larger one to fit her. We have photos of them wearing them but am not sure they wore them much really.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 22-Nov-19 14:21:07

We gave my husband's sister and brother-in-law a carafe and two wine glasses that had been made the year they married and something to enjoy drinking from the glasses as well.

mbody Fri 22-Nov-19 15:14:53

John Lewis or M&S vouchers - you can’t go wrong.