Gransnet forums

Chat

Valentine's cards for children?

(34 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 08-Feb-20 11:07:33

Am I missing something? I thought Valentine's cards were for 'lovers' or admirers to send to someone you think of in that way? Before this opens a deluge of people decrying them anyway, we were married on Valentine's Day, and it is therefore special to us as both our anniversary and a day for people who love each other in a non-parental way.
Anyway what I'm rambling my way round to, is I was choosing an Anniversary and a Valentine's card for my husband (he may be Victor Meldrew in many respects but we still like to be romantic with each other). In amongst all the Valentine's cards for partners etc, there were cards saying 'to my son (or daughter) on Valentine's Day. What on earth?????

MissAdventure Sat 08-Feb-20 11:16:03

I saw cards to and from 'the cat'.
I think they'll do ones from the breadbin if they think people will buy.
Its all about the money.

tanith Sat 08-Feb-20 11:21:01

I have a friend who even sends them to her GC but she is an American?

Calendargirl Sat 08-Feb-20 11:48:30

‘the cat’ MissAdventure ?

Oh, that gave me a laugh! Of course, some twerps will be buying them for their ‘fur babies’. Those with more money than sense.

NanaandGrampy Sat 08-Feb-20 12:03:21

I have always sent a card to my daughters since they were children and now I send to the grandchildren too . So going on 40 years .

Its always signed from 'a secret admirer' ( although they obviously know its me as I make my own cards) and they love them.

Its just a little fun and I personally see no harm in it- each to their own I guess.

JuliaM Sat 08-Feb-20 12:06:42

My young Grandaughters junior school actively encourage the sending of Valentines cards by providing a post box for them, and use the event to design and post a card themselves , or bring in a shop bought one. They can address them to whoever they like, but a fair few upper juniors do send them to a class mate they like, and sometimes even enclose a small gift.

FearlessSwiftie Mon 10-Feb-20 13:15:26

Actually lots of people send the cards to their friends or relatives. Like in school me and my classmates made the cards for each other (and these cards were the only we got, haha). This is a commercial day nowadays and it is okay to give little gifts or cards to practically everyone, no matter if the person is your significant one or not.

Oopsminty Mon 10-Feb-20 13:17:12

My father always sent us Valentine's cards

I'm almost 60 now so not a new thing

Just a sweet thing to do

He carried on until his death at 88

Septimia Mon 10-Feb-20 15:32:26

Years ago I got Valentine cards from my (female, and not gay) Japanese penfriend. Cultural difference, I suppose.

Billybob4491 Mon 10-Feb-20 16:25:48

I always send Valentine cards to my grandchildren and niece, because I love them, and I am not an American.

curvygran950 Mon 10-Feb-20 16:35:05

I have just seen online (moonpig) a valentine card depicting an ultrasound scan photo of an unborn child ... to be sent to the mother/to-be I assume .....from the baby -to-be?

Greymar Mon 10-Feb-20 16:36:30

I saw one to a speck of dust the other day? What next?

TrendyNannie6 Mon 10-Feb-20 16:41:21

I agree with you growingolddisgracefully. Me and my husband always send each other valentines cards, I’ve never sent them to my AC they would find it really weird!! I might love them dearly but no way, valentines is about romance isn’t it, and certainly wouldn’t send my fur babies valentines cards lol

maddyone Mon 10-Feb-20 17:06:53

MissAdventure, to the cat grin
From the cat gringrin

Greymar, to a speck of dust! I’m speechless gringringrin

vegansrock Mon 10-Feb-20 17:10:04

It’s just a way for card makers to increase sales. I think it’s weird to send them to children as it’s supposed to be for lovers but whatever floats your boat.

rosenoir Mon 10-Feb-20 17:59:52

I find it odd to send them to anyone but an adult love interest.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 10-Feb-20 18:09:03

Totally agree vegansrock and rosenoir

SueDonim Mon 10-Feb-20 18:49:20

I think the idea of schools encouraging children to send Valentines cards to classmates is shocking. Imagine being the only child in the class who doesn’t receive a card from anyone. sad

For some reason which I can no longer fathom, confused I started sending my dds cards when they were young. I’m still doing it even though they’re both grown up and one is married with a baby! Apparently, I’m not allowed to stop sending them cards because it’s my duty as a mother. grin

M0nica Mon 10-Feb-20 19:01:01

We never take any notice of Valentines day. We got married on 17th February so restrict our card sending to that.

It as the advantage that flowers are cheaper and restaurants not overcrowded so we can eat out in peace.

Missfoodlove Mon 10-Feb-20 19:25:36

Our son has his birthday on Valentine’s Day, he hates the fact it’s always so expensive to dine out on the day and hard to book the best places.
On the positive side he is thankful I didn’t name him Valentine!!

May7 Mon 10-Feb-20 20:55:59

I always sent my children valentines cards until they got partners of their own . I now send them to my GC. Just spreads a little happiness that's all. I also send one to my DH and he to me

Chewbacca Mon 10-Feb-20 21:16:49

I send one to my DS, DDIL and the GC grin They all know it's me and every year they all feign surprise and and wonder "who on earth could this be from?"
It worries me not one jot that someone else thinks we're mad. It makes us smile, so that's enough.

Harris27 Mon 10-Feb-20 22:04:47

I’m amazed at some of these replies but have enjoyed reading them. I do send dh a card we always have done well he is the love of my life!

Calendargirl Tue 11-Feb-20 07:06:59

I agree with SueDonim about schools encouraging children with the sending of Valentine cards. Totally wrong. All the pretty, popular girls and good looking popular boys will be inundated, whilst the plain and not very popular ones will miss out, unless the teachers send sympathy ones to those poor kids. A great way to give them issues about something pointless.

cangran Tue 11-Feb-20 09:53:19

I don't know if it's still a thing but when I was growing up in Canada, we bought very cheap books of valentine cards to cut out, fold and give to all our classmates. It seemed a sweet and inexpensive thing to do and everyone got lots of 'cards'.