Gransnet forums

Chat

What does 'mixed race' mean to you? How would you describe a 'mixed race' person?

(106 Posts)
jura2 Mon 24-Feb-20 20:34:34

Researchers are asking the question- and it made me think.

Missfoodlove Mon 24-Feb-20 20:44:28

I am mixed race i.e English/Irish but generally mixed race is used to describe someone of colour.

My SIL is mixed race, he is brown and always happy to explain his heritage to people, however most people are too nervous of asking him for fear of coming across as racist!

MissAdventure Mon 24-Feb-20 20:46:53

I wouldn't describe a mixed race person, in case it offended someone.

Sparkling Mon 24-Feb-20 20:47:37

It's a long time since I heard that phrase. I suppose generally it was about colour, or race but I don't think in those terms.

Doodledog Mon 24-Feb-20 20:48:56

I would describe them as a person. Or a friend, or a colleague, or a neighbour - you get the idea.

Mamardoit Mon 24-Feb-20 20:51:45

English/Irish isn't mixed race surely. Not if they are both Caucasian.

Mamardoit Mon 24-Feb-20 20:57:54

My DD calls her DC mixed heritage. Mum is white English and dad is also English but Jamaican heritage.

kircubbin2000 Mon 24-Feb-20 20:59:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Chewbacca Mon 24-Feb-20 21:00:39

Some of my colleagues are mixed race. 1 South Korean American. 2 Anglo Indian. 2 Anglo Nigerian. 1 Ghanian British. 1 Australian Chinese and an Anglo Iranian. We're a mixed bag and get on very well together.

jura2 Mon 24-Feb-20 21:00:42

The question is often asked still on forms and census.
Thanks for all your comments- keep them coming.

paddyanne Mon 24-Feb-20 21:03:05

Scottish /asian or Scottish/african ,never mixed race ,most of these people I know who have differing backgrounds are happy to be called Scottish by choice and that suits me .Its what they are .

Greymar Mon 24-Feb-20 21:03:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GagaJo Mon 24-Feb-20 21:07:40

My daughter is half Brit and half African American. Her son is half Mongolian. He is amazingly beautiful. I'm always stopped when out with him by people admiring him. Very pretty little boy. Big bubbly curls. Huge eyes.

Moocow Mon 24-Feb-20 21:11:09

Who do you mean by 'researchers'? I've not heard anyone in general raising this just now, so I'm wondering.

BlueBelle Mon 24-Feb-20 21:29:32

What a strange question !!

jura2 Mon 24-Feb-20 21:45:18

Why 'strange' BlueBelle. It is relevant to vast numbers all over the world- and it affects their daily life, one way or another- in many cases.

Moocow - a friend shared this on Facebook.

Kristina, an Assistant Producer at Pulse Films, an award-winning independent production company, whose recent features include The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann (Netflix) and The People Vs The NHS (BBC2), has passed this query on which may be of interest to Remainers:

Pulse Films are looking for people to be involved in a new series for the BBC exploring what it means to be white in modern Britain.

Alongside a national survey conducted across the UK a group of 8 people will to come together in leading a social experiment guided by a well-known journalist to discuss race, nationality and identity.

To clarify: we are looking for opinionated and open-minded people. You don’t have to necessarily agree or be comfortable with this subject matter, we want a mixture of opinions and thoughts towards this topic.

If you are interested in getting involved then click here: bit.ly/30Um3gK or email me on [email protected]

Have your say...your opinions matters! Please share! (Disclaimer: you do not have to be white to have a say...)

(NB. The presenter will be Afua Hirsch, journalist for The Guardian newspaper and former Social Affairs and Education Editor for Sky News)

However, for us as a family, we have often discussed what it means to be mixed race- because most of my family, or rather OH's family, are. I have a mixed cultural background, French Huguenot, Swiss and English British- but not mixed race. As said about, would be classified as White/Caucasian.

Chewbacca Mon 24-Feb-20 21:45:59

Now you mention it BlueBelle it is a strange question, I hadn't thought of it before I responded to the OP.

jura which "researchers are asking the question"? Where did you see this? What research is being undertaken? And for what purpose? Or are you asking out of your own curiosity?

jura2 Mon 24-Feb-20 21:47:57

I have replied Chewbacca. It is a strange question I understand, for someone who does not come from a mixed background- and has not been made aware of the huge impact this can have on individuals- yes, even in this day and age- although, thank goodness, not to the same extent.

Chewbacca Mon 24-Feb-20 21:48:55

Then maybe it should have gone via Media Requests to GNHQ?

jura2 Mon 24-Feb-20 21:52:36

Why? It is a very interesting question on its own. I had no intention of linking to the research - but you asked, so I always reply as honestly as I can.

I am not asking for the programme- but as a question to any member- because it is a subject that interests me. If it does not- just do not take part in this discussion.

GagaJo Mon 24-Feb-20 21:57:21

For me, Jura, it means the future. We're all going to be a light brown one day.

But in the uk now, it means discrimination unfortunately.

janeainsworth Mon 24-Feb-20 21:58:47

You could argue that there is only one human race to which we all belong and therefore that ‘mixed race’ is a meaningless term.

But anthropologists define different racial groups (in very complicated ways, which have changed over the years) so you could argue that a mixed-race person is someone whose biological parents come from two different anthropologically-defined racial groups.

What is the big deal? (I realise it’s a big deal if you’re on the receiving end of abuse because you’re mixed-race).

suziewoozie Mon 24-Feb-20 22:04:12

This is how the government deals with it

www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/ethnic-groups

Yennifer Mon 24-Feb-20 22:08:38

By their name x

suziewoozie Mon 24-Feb-20 22:10:29

Without the context of the research, this is all a bit daft