Gransnet forums

Chat

Chaos when its all over?

(134 Posts)
ExD Tue 31-Mar-20 09:53:06

Its becoming hard to imagine, but one day all this will be over. And then, I for one and I imagine thousands of others, will want to visit distant family we've not seen for months.
Imagine the chaos on the roads when we all hit the motorways and travel up, down and sideways across the country - at the same time.
If I'm spared I'm determined to resist the temptation to do this, and I hope my family will understand.

Calendargirl Tue 31-Mar-20 09:56:50

I think many people will find it hard to get back into the everyday swing of things. Sort of institutionalised at home for several weeks, agoraphobia might set in.
I think especially some elderly folk will be used to having things delivered, and not want to venture out again. Feeling safe and secure in their own homes.

suziewoozie Tue 31-Mar-20 10:03:08

I honestly have no emotional space to start thinking forward. I’m living in the moment and trying to be as sensible as I can within very narrow time parameters. FWIW I don’t think it would be POW all over do what you want when you want but we haven’t even peaked yet so I’ll leave it at that.

Teetime Tue 31-Mar-20 10:06:40

I think any let up in current arrangements will come gradually it would be madness to just let everything open at the same time and I'm confident that this wont happen.

wildswan16 Tue 31-Mar-20 10:51:37

It will probably be very confusing once things start returning to normal (though I am not expecting that for a long time yet). Can you imagine everyone trying to get a hair cut, or dental/optician appointment? Minor considerations in the current crisis situation though.

glammanana Tue 31-Mar-20 11:07:31

I personally don't think life will get back to normal for quite a long time people will be suspect of anyone being too close to them even after any guidelines have been lifted.I am dreading the time when the "peak" has become expected I don't think we have even seen what this virus is caperable of yet we should have locked down earlier imo.

EllanVannin Tue 31-Mar-20 11:12:03

I'm not looking too far ahead at this stage. I'll just be thankful if I'm still breathing !

EllanVannin Tue 31-Mar-20 11:13:54

As you've said Glamma, lockdown should have happened much much earlier, but it's proved it's been too late now sad

Hetty58 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:13:58

Why all this talk of 'getting back to normal'? 'Normal' was the cause of it. Without drastic changes, it (or far worse) will happen all over again - and soon!

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:20:31

Its not going to end abruptly. It wont be like yesterday everything was shut and today you can do what you want.

Restrictions will ease a bit then tighten again a bit.

Lots of businesses will never re open
Lots of people wont have the money to go back to doing what they did before
Other people will be too anxious to stop social distancing.

Post CV austerity will hit hard.

Most people WONT be able to "make up for missed time"

ExD Tue 31-Mar-20 11:22:44

There are a lot of sensible points being made, and I agree it'll be a long time before we're back to anything like 'normal' and I also agree we should have locked down sooner.
However, looking ahead towards the 'light at the end of the tunnel' is whats keeping me going. I only hope I'm here to see it.

MawB Tue 31-Mar-20 11:24:00

ExD we are only in Week 2 (well some of us for longer but I am speaking of the country as a whole) and I wold rather not look 3 or 6 or however many months ahead - how long is a piece of string anyway?
Remember what they said on the outbreak of WWI- “it’ll all be over by Christmas”.
Yes, cling to hopes for the future but don’t worry about whether it will be chaotic or one damp squib.

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:25:30

If you want to stay positive I wouldnt look forward, its going to be grim! Global recession and all the hardships and deaths they bring.

If you wanna be positive enjoy what we have NOW. We've still got it relatively good, make the most of it, much worse is to come.

vampirequeen Tue 31-Mar-20 11:30:55

There's no harm in looking to the future. No matter how long it takes, it won't last for ever. I'm not sure why normal put us in this situation though. Normal didn't create the virus, It just helped it spread because we didn't act quickly enough. I don't want to live in self imposed lockdown for the rest of my life just in case another virus arises. I'm looking forward to the day when we go back to normal. Admittedly certain appointments will be at a premium for a while so we may have to be patient but eventually normality will return but eventually we'll be able to live life as we did....see friends and family, share celebrations, attend funerals, have days out etc.

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:46:25

Most people wont have an income!
The government prop ups are temporary
The temporary keyworker contracts will end

Non retired people are not planning lots of celebrations to invite you to next year! They're wondering how to keep a roof over their heads when their old employer doesnt reopen etc

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:52:22

This is the bit we will look back on as the better times. We are now being told to prepare for more power cuts etc.

Enjoy what we have now while we have it.

One of the things that will go as people struggle with basic bills is internet/data credit. So people will be in touch less not more. We're still sitting pretty.

sodapop Tue 31-Mar-20 12:26:39

Sadly there is a lot of truth in what you say notanan2 I'm just taking one day at a time and trying not to worry in advance.

Fiachna50 Tue 31-Mar-20 12:50:31

Notanan, totally get you. By the way re power cuts, if you are referring to the rubbish in the DM, that newspaper is responsible for panicking people. However, I think you have a good handle on the situation. I for one won't be rushing out anywhere.

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 12:53:50

Its in all the papers not just DM.

The grid can cope apparently its a workforce issue at the moment.

But there will be long term effects like the workforce NOW being redirected to essential work means we are not going to have the non essential updates and maintenance done, which'll affect us in coming years IYKWIM

SalsaQueen Tue 31-Mar-20 14:30:04

I imagine pubs, cafes and restaurants will all be crowded too. For the first week, I missed all those social events, but now I'm not that bothered.

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 14:37:35

Not the pubs, cafes and restraunts that havent been paying their rents.
Or the ones in complexes owned by freeholders that are going bust (some of the biggest shopping centre owners in UK are going into administration)
Not the ones that cant pay the hiked up council rates which will be in place after this

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 14:38:44

Not every business is eligible for gov grants either. Not that that'll be enough for many

eazybee Tue 31-Mar-20 15:11:31

This really ought to go on the 'glass half full' thread.
It will happen, and it will be what it will be; who can possibly predict how or when it will occur.
Some of the changes could be for the better:-
People will appreciate the service industries, and all the selfless people who have put themselves on the front line to help.
More home cooked food, less exotic fruit and vegetables out of season.
More thrift, 'you don't know when it might come in useful.'
Clean, tidy homes and immaculate gardens.
Enjoying visiting relatives.
Learn to enjoy your own company.
Really glad to go back to work, to school, to the dentists!
Appreciate your life and health.

eazybee Tue 31-Mar-20 15:12:20

Actually , glass half empty.
Talk about Job's comforters.

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 15:15:33

Depends on your perspective. Im saying things are actually still relatively comfortable. Enjoy what we have now rather than living for some fantastical future where we are all dancing in the streets (living on them more like!)