Gransnet forums

Chat

Wonderful Nightingale hospitals but why no Seacole?

(59 Posts)
peaches50 Sat 04-Apr-20 17:54:30

Rightly so our fantastic NHS putting their lives at risk for us battling Corona virus, are becoming more valued every hour that passes as the threat reaches its peak. Mary Seacole was the daughter of a Scottish father officer in the British Army, and Jamaican mother. Nursing soldiers at the front line while battle raged in the Crimean War, in her time she was the equal to Florence Nightingale. With 1 in 5 of the NHS workers (1.2m) of BAME origin. they should be recognised. If you feel strongly as me sign my petition and send it to your MP and as many as you can. chng.it/T4BSLDZz. And God Bless every key worker.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 17:56:04

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

eazybee Sat 04-Apr-20 18:07:25

Mary Seacole was in no way the equal of Florence Nightingale.

Chewbacca Sat 04-Apr-20 18:07:42

Think I'm with Callistemon on this OP; there's so much more to worry about now than the name of a hospital. I think that there's been a massive public recognition and gratitude for the tireless dedication that doctors, nurses and all other front line workers, from all over the world, are doing to help keep us safe and treat those who need it. Now isn't the time to be lobbying MPs; maybe when all of this is over.

MawB Sat 04-Apr-20 18:11:16

And perhaps you could rearrange the deckchairs on the promenade deck of the Titanic while you are at it?
Honestly!
However worthy Mary Seacole was, is this really the time? ?

Chewbacca Sat 04-Apr-20 18:13:10

Maw grin

Jabberwok Sat 04-Apr-20 18:24:58

I'm surprised Nicola didn't think of it!!!! But No, I don't t feel strongly about it! Miss Nightingale who everyone has heard of is just fine by me!

notanan2 Sat 04-Apr-20 18:27:04

Because if people were having lengthy meetings right now to chose the bloody NAMES of the energency hospitals then we would have it all backwards!

suziewoozie Sat 04-Apr-20 18:30:03

I thought it was called the Nightingale because of the configuration of the wards - the old style Nightingale wards. Makes sense to me anyway.

EllanVannin Sat 04-Apr-20 18:32:11

Well, there are your answers Peaches grin accept this intimation.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 18:38:46

Sorry, everyone, it's not like me to swear
blush

But really!!

MissAdventure Sat 04-Apr-20 18:42:19

I found it rather exciting, actually. wink

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 18:50:20

DH said, yes you do, I heard you trying to get a delivery slot this afternoon!

lemongrove Sat 04-Apr-20 18:56:15

Callistemon grin
After hearing yet another journalist at the daily briefing ask the question ‘ when do you think this ( virus) is going to peak/end ‘... DH said today FFS! We are going to be saying this a lot over the coming weeks.

Oldwoman70 Sat 04-Apr-20 18:56:18

If you were to ask those on the frontline of the NHS my guess is they couldn't give a flying f* about what these hospitals are called - they just want them up and running and equipped asap. Once this is all over there will be plenty of time to honour them all - irrespective of their colour.

Ilovecheese Sat 04-Apr-20 18:58:44

I have read that the Glasgow field hospital is to be named after a Scottish nurse, Louisa Jordan. Surely they can't all be called Nightingale. I think calling one after Mary Seacole would be a very nice gesture of appreciation.

MerylStreep Sat 04-Apr-20 19:00:14

Callistemon
I've never seen you so angry!!! It was rather funny coming from you ?

grannyrebel7 Sat 04-Apr-20 19:03:57

Mary who?

M0nica Sat 04-Apr-20 19:07:20

I woulld think because this hospital is so close to what Florence Nightingale did. She worked with builders to construct a pre fabricated hospital that could be taken to the Crimea and re-erected in double quick time to take in soldiers who were not so much wounded as ill with other illnesses, typhoid, cholera and the like. These hospitals epitomise everything she did in the Crimea.

I am not diminishing anything Mary Seacole did, but she did different things. As Wikipedia says she set up the "British Hotel" behind the lines during the Crimean War. She described this as "a mess-table and comfortable quarters for sick and convalescent officers", and provided succour for wounded servicemen on the battlefield.[4], .... she used herbal remedies to nurse soldiers back to health

Florence Nightingale is so closely associated with the organisation and management of emergency hospitals on a large scale, naming the hospitals after her seems particularly appropriate.

Ilovecheese Sat 04-Apr-20 19:20:38

What a nice sensible, reasonable, non kneejerk response M0nica

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 19:27:57

In mitigation, I had just spent a frustrating 2 hours trying to get a groceries delivery slot and this post was the final straw! It is the least thing we need in a national crisis. Perhaps one of the other new hospitals will be named after Mary Seacole. Or Matt Hancock. Or whoever, as long as they are fit for purpose and wonderful staff are available.

It's not like me to use such language, ilovecheese as you may know if you read my posts.

I would say - would it matter what the hospital is called if it manages to save some lives?

oldgimmer1 Sat 04-Apr-20 19:36:36

Why was Calliestemon's post deleted?

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 19:40:22

Oh, was it deleted?
Fame at last!!

I swore, oldgimmer but I will repeat the gist of it.

hmm, goodness me, OP, I think my MP has enough to think about at the moment, so, with due respect, I will not bother him at the moment about this.

Let us hope that another hospital will be so named.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 19:44:00

Yes, I have heard of Mary Seacole and there will be other hospitals built, sadly, as the need may be great.
Was her father Scottish - up to Scotland perhaps?

Chewbacca Sat 04-Apr-20 19:44:55

Callistemon! You fibber! grin That's not why I read in your post! I've never seen you so cross! And I laughed out loud when I saw it; it was the highlight of my day! very boring day