Gransnet forums

Chat

Suddenly feel like I want to join a Choir! [confused]

(19 Posts)
bikergran Thu 28-May-20 19:37:07

For some reason when I watch Choirs sing (not so much church choirs) but sort of ordinary everyday people having a go. (I cannot sing by the way, nooo I really can't)

Has anyone joined a group, had any success , did you have to do a solo forst (gulp) to find your "tone" or "pitch".

They all look like they have a good time and release energy.

Anannymous Thu 28-May-20 19:59:56

I joined a choir, I can only warble a few low notes the rest come out like a squeak. Luckily it’s a community choir so no auditions. I do a lot of miming and sometimes sing the men’s part but it’s great fun!

52bright Thu 28-May-20 21:44:49

I love to sing. Often sing around the house when in alone but I can't hold a note. Would love to join a choir, just for the sheer enjoyment of singing ...but what choir is going to want a singer who cheerfully sings off key grin

Westcoaster Thu 28-May-20 21:49:57

Yes, I would love to join a choir just for the enjoyment of singing, not really to be in a performance. I was pondering a local one looking for joiners just as lock-down came upon us ... maybe later!

Luckygirl Thu 28-May-20 22:21:55

Choirs (singing in and running) have been my life - as soon as we are all vaccinated, get thee to a choir and sing your heart out!!

Namsnanny Thu 28-May-20 22:32:09

I'd love to Luckygirl, but I really have noooooo confidence, as I like the others simply cannot hold a note! blush

MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 22:39:47

I've got a foul voice, but I really enjoy singing.
I'd like to join a choir, too, I think.

seacliff Thu 28-May-20 23:11:42

I thought I couldn't sing, but had a go joining several local choirs. None required you to audition or sing alone. People are continually joining and being made welcome. You just decided what type of voice you had, by sitting in, say, the sopranos and having a go at joining in with them. If that was not for you, then move to the altos, until you find what suits your voice best.

These were local community choirs in village halls etc, not church choirs. Some do perform in public at times for charity events.

Search in your local area to see what is around, often they have a web site or FB page, explaining how they work. I never thought I'd do it, but there is such a feel good factor singing in a group. I would really recommend it. It lifts your spirits.

joannapiano Fri 29-May-20 07:48:10

Our Community Choir now have a Zoom meeting once a week led by our choirmaster. Fifty-five logged on this week. It’s lovely to see them all, mostly with slightly longer hair!

bikergran Fri 29-May-20 20:04:56

Hmm food for thought, my mum used to humm round the house(she doesnt now as shes poorly) but her mum used to sing and humm round the house.

I never have done so its not in the blood hmm

Whitewavemark2 Fri 29-May-20 20:28:47

My daughter belongs to a rock choir (I think that’s what it’s called) and she absolutely loves it. She says it is the most enormous stress reliever.

Cabbie21 Fri 29-May-20 21:18:49

I sing in three choirs in normal times and I really miss singing. I have been in Zoom choirs but it is not the same.

There are lots of choirs around and you need to find the right one for you. Most community choirs do not audition. Some choirs do not use music scores, they learn the parts by listening and singing. Other choirs read the music and to be honest, if you have never done that you might feel a bit lost at first, but it is not that difficult to pick it up.

Some choirs like Rock choirs or Fun Chorus are ideal for people who say they cannot sing! Most have websites, which will give you an idea of what sort of music they sing and what to expect.
Most branches of U3a have a choir too, but I guess it will be a while before it is safe to meet again. Choirs are very sociable and social distancing will not really work. My community choir meets in a school hall, and I can’t see the school wanting to take bookings, they will have enough on trying to deep clean at the end of the school day without having to do it again after an evening rehearsal.
So you will have to wait a while to join a real choir. Meanwhile, enjoy the virtual choirs online.

grannylyn65 Fri 29-May-20 21:45:19

I loved the U3 A choir

bikergran Sat 30-May-20 08:02:27

Thanks for the info everyone smile

Jishere Wed 03-Jun-20 23:38:24

Do u know there is an online choir at 5.30pm on utube with Gareth Malone? It's being turned into a program for tv, well if you send your video clips in.

welbeck Thu 04-Jun-20 00:07:17

unfortunately i think it would be risky at the moment.
i read that some early incidents of the virus being spread were linked to choirs.

Eloethan Thu 04-Jun-20 00:27:00

I am in three choirs and I would recommend joining a choir to anyone who has an interest in music and singing. There is almost nothing so uplifting as the feeling you get from singing together - and the physical and mental health benefits are well documented. Most choirs don't require you to have an audition.

Sadly, we have to conduct sessions by Zoom these days, which I find more of an ordeal than fun but I take part because I think it is important to show continued support to the choir leaders.

I haven't seen Gareth Malone's online choir but I assume that each member records his or her voice against the same musical accompaniment and then these individual online contributions are fitted together. As far as I am aware, there is no way people can actually sing all together via the internet and hear each other because my understanding is each computer has a slightly different speed so the voices are heard at different times. We've tried it, for fun, but it makes a horrible racket!

I don't know how things are going to work when choirs can resume - I don't know how a big choir can properly observe the distancing measures.

welbeck Thu 04-Jun-20 01:06:53

further to my previous, it seems it is highly infectious activity;

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zomUZxhj-I

Mbuya Thu 04-Jun-20 03:26:31

I love singing and am part of a church choir, and looking forward to when we are back to the new normal. So I would recommend you go for it. Just Googled the benefits of singing:

Singing improves your mood. ...
It is very effective as a stress reliever and improves sleep.
Singing releases pain-relieving endorphins, helping you to forget that painful tooth/knee/whatever.
Your posture improves.
Lung capacity increases.
Singing clears sinuses and respiratory tubes.