Gransnet forums

Chat

Dog Name Change - Silly Subject

(75 Posts)
DinaLK Fri 18-Sep-20 12:18:36

My husband and I got a new puppy. We named her one name that we both agreed upon. It felt right calling the new puppy #1 name. We sent an announcement to our family. Later that day, we received a call from our son saying that he and his wife (our dil) would like to request us to consider changing the name to something difference because that is his wife's mom's name. At first, I was taken-back from the silly request thinking "it's our dog", "how silly", "we didn't name the dog after her mother to begin with", etc. BUT, at the same time I thought if it bothered them that much to call, no big deal to try a different name, name #2. Well, we've been calling the dog name #2 and it just doesn't feel as right as name #1. I think we'll get used to name #2, but curious what everyone thinks ??

Charleygirl5 Fri 18-Sep-20 12:24:31

I am inclined to agree with your son. It is a pain for you when the first name fitted perfectly but you may find it may have caused a rift if you had continued. At times anything for a peaceful life.

It would have been different if the dog was 5, adopted and used to the same name for years.

DinaLK Fri 18-Sep-20 12:28:13

Thanks Charleygirl. Your words are a comforting peace of mind. I do agree with you as well. And I know this subject is pretty silly to have spent time posting.

Callistemon Fri 18-Sep-20 12:48:21

DD adopted a rescue dog, but she disliked the name. She chose something similar but the dog was determined only to answer to her old name.

I'd change the name quickly, a new puppy will get used to it. It seems rather like taking the Michael to call a dog after your DIL's mother. You wouldn't want to cause offence, I'm sure.
?

Namsnanny Fri 18-Sep-20 12:50:14

No I dont think it is silly at allsmile
Your son was worried and you responded to his concern

I think that's what's called a result!!

DinaLK Fri 18-Sep-20 13:01:11

Callistemon, thank you so much for your comments. Right, we did not name her the first name after anyone. Just didn't think about it until our son called and reminded us. lol

DinaLK Fri 18-Sep-20 13:01:37

Namsnanny, Thank you for your support!!

Charleygirl5 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:12:53

I adopted my present cat from the Cat protection Leauge when she was 2 years old- she is now around 16. She had two awful homes before here and had been called Connie in one and Caroline in the other. I left it a week before I named her Tara and she responded to her new name immediately- she is intelligent.

The puppy will also respond quickly and everybody will be happy.

Squiffy Fri 18-Sep-20 13:30:12

Charley that's exactly what happened to us! Our little cat had been given 3 different names by the time we adopted her, but our 4th name fitted her like a glove and she responded to it immediately!

Squiffy Fri 18-Sep-20 13:32:12

Meant to add that our cat was only about 15 months old when we adopted her, so it's a wonder she wasn't suffering from an identity crisis!

DinaLK Fri 18-Sep-20 13:32:35

Appreciate your support!

cheekychops61 Sat 19-Sep-20 09:09:36

I suppose it could be nowadays people call their pets by human names whereas before it used to be more traditional cat and dog names. A friend called his dog Willow which I think is lovely. Glad you did the right thing to keep everyone happy.

Lucca Sat 19-Sep-20 09:12:33

DinaLK

Thanks Charleygirl. Your words are a comforting peace of mind. I do agree with you as well. And I know this subject is pretty silly to have spent time posting.

Far sillier things are posted about, believe me!

GrAnne2 Sat 19-Sep-20 09:15:54

I don’t think it’s a silly question at all & I applaud your willingness to concede in order to preserve family harmony. Knowing how difficult it is to choose the correct name for a new puppy (and, like you, finding it hard to believe someone would object to it for the reason you’ve stated) I would have found it hard to do what you’ve managed to do ... will you/have you had the same say in the naming of grandchildren?! (Before everyone jumps down my throat, that’s a little tongue in cheek, but a similar principle is involved.) Puppies will respond well if the change is quick but I’m guessing she’ll always be name #1 in your head ...

lilyH Sat 19-Sep-20 09:26:15

My beautiful rescue Welsh Terrier spent 8 years as a breeding bitch in kennels I don't think she even had a name to start with. I though about some nice welsh names but then watching her sit so gracefully down decided on Gracie she is now 13 and a very happy little girl

JuliaM Sat 19-Sep-20 09:28:46

My daughter adopted a 4yr old Labrador from a friend that was going through a marriage break up and cold not take her to the new rented property she was moving into. Her name was Sasha, which was unfortunate, as our Boxer Girl who had gone to the Rainbow bridge a few months before shared the same name and it just felt so wrong when we called her. For several weeks we refared to her as 'The Blonde one' and eventually to the short version of 'Sash' which she responds to a few years down the line. I know someone who's surname is Wreath, which has always caused a few problems when naming their children and pets, flowery names are right out of the question, as are any months such as May or June, or colours such as Scarlett or Blue!

1404kiwi Sat 19-Sep-20 09:37:51

I met someone up the lark who named their new puppy Taxi as he thought it was a good name when calling it back to him ....poor dog but the dog doesn’t care what’s it’s called as long as it gets lots of love which I’m sure it will and you’ll get used to the new great name.

1404kiwi Sat 19-Sep-20 09:38:15

Park not lark spellcheck is weird sometimes

Gizzy48 Sat 19-Sep-20 09:39:08

A friend adopted a r

Gizzy48 Sat 19-Sep-20 09:39:34

A friend adopted a retired gr

Gizzy48 Sat 19-Sep-20 09:44:39

For heaven's sake when is GN going to configure itself so that you can edit your post after it's been sent? Almost everything else allows it!

As I was saying, a friend adopted a retired greyhound which was called Rastus. She decided that was racist and changed it to Jasper - but by small stages so that he got used to it, something like Raspus - Rasper - Jasper.

rowanflower0 Sat 19-Sep-20 09:53:12

My sister called her new dog Alfie - fine, but 3 months later her eldest son's wife gave birth to her second son and they called him Alfie! Don't know who was more confused - dog or child!

topsy7 Sat 19-Sep-20 09:58:29

We have had 5 rescue dogs over a 30 year span and have renamed 4 of them with no problems at all. We did not change Mickie’s name as he was a rehome rather than a stray and his name suited him.
The funniest rename was a one of our Jack Russells he was a stray that the Dogs Trust has called Arfur ( I ask you ) obviously we wanted to change that we already had a beautiful scruffy boy called Bill. In the first 48 hours he was Arfur then Bob but this confuses Bill ! next we tried Sid but every time we said Sid Bill sat !!!! So he become Jack and was perfect.
We now have one dog luckily he come into our lives 2 weeks before lockdown a hilarious Jack Russell rehome was called Jacko 4 years old now Joe.
So I believe changing dogs names is not a problem but I agree annoying for you. However better than causing family upset this Covid situation has put so much stress and strain on people that I think folks are more sensitive and problems become bigger issues.
I hope you have many years of love and laughter with your 4 legged friend.

sazz1 Sat 19-Sep-20 10:09:41

My last dog was called Scruffy as when we saw him at the dogs home I said to OH I wanted the scruffy looking one on the end of the row. The staff didnt look pleased but he was the love of my life and lived for 15 years with us. He was between 1 and 3 years when we got him too

Davida1968 Sat 19-Sep-20 10:10:48

Personally I prefer not to use "human" names for pets. (I'd choose what I call a "proper pet" name, though these days it's hard to know/predict what "unexpected" names someone may give their child!) In DinaLK's situation I'd definitely change the dog's name, just to keep the peace. On the subject of dog names, I have never come across a dog called "Rover" or "Fido" - has anyone?