Gransnet forums

Chat

Invasion of privacy despite Data Protection rules

(26 Posts)
Lynmary Wed 21-Oct-20 11:03:44

I am increasingly annoyed when I am asked my d.o.b when accepting a delivered package! Also, having just come off a website offering to "chat by way of enquiry" I asked a simple question but they wanted my name, phone no. and email address. I was just enquiring whether they offered a particular service and it did not need my details at that stage. Think how careful we have to be under the new Rules when running a database for, say, a small Club where we know everybody mostly, yet we are constantly asked personal info. by complete strangers, when they don't need it! Does everybody else feel the same as me, or am I turning into a grumpy old woman!

NotSpaghetti Wed 21-Oct-20 11:08:58

I feel the same. I'm constantly challenging people re the info they collect. Sometimes they can avoid it as their database has "optional" fields. They don't tell you what they have to fill in though.

I'm always polite. I say "I know it's not your fault but I'm only going to give you the information that's imperative ".
I've mostly stopped using the bots and email or phone instead.

Very irritating.

quizqueen Wed 21-Oct-20 11:14:39

I've never been asked for any details when receiving a delivered package, not ever my name. I have been asked, occasionally, to scribble something on a screen but you can put any scrawl on there.

Marydoll Wed 21-Oct-20 11:41:47

DOB is always asked for delivery of certain items, for example sharp objects or alcohol.
My SIL recently sent me a cheese board with knives as surprise. I couldn't understand why I was being asked for my DOB until I saw it contained sharp objects.

Charleygirl5 Wed 21-Oct-20 11:53:07

Excuse me Marydoll I have gathered from reading your threads and discovering your "children" are over the age of 21 that you, even if you were a child bride, is now marginally older and without being rude I am assuming you look close to your age so it would be obvious that you were old enough to receive alcohol and heaven forbid sharp knives.

Antonia Wed 21-Oct-20 11:55:52

You don't need to give your real date of birth. It's usually to verify that you are over 18, in order to receive certain packages. I have occasionally been asked to show my passport. It doesn't bother me at all. What can anyone do if they look at your passport it have your date of birth, even supposing they remember it?
I realise that information could be used to build up a picture of you, but as long as you don't give out the really confidential things such as a bank account number or a password, I don't see the problem.
If a company asks for my email address, then if I'm not interested in hearing from them, I leave the site at that point. If I am interested in their product then I will give my email address. You can always block them afterwards.

Marydoll Wed 21-Oct-20 11:58:31

Oh Charleygirl how unkind. I am often mistaken for a teenager, partly due to my miniature stature and youthful looks. ?

Charleygirl5 Wed 21-Oct-20 12:01:41

My SIL by marriage was asked for ID when in a supermarket and buying alcohol. She was around 50 at the time. She left her overloaded trolley and walked out.

Marydoll Wed 21-Oct-20 12:05:00

?

Oopsminty Wed 21-Oct-20 12:11:56

Charleygirl5

My SIL by marriage was asked for ID when in a supermarket and buying alcohol. She was around 50 at the time. She left her overloaded trolley and walked out.

Gosh, Charleygirl5, I'd have been over the moon!

Friend of mine was asked if her mother was home when she opened the door to a double glazing salesman. Salesperson.

She was early 40's at the time

Made her day!

Riverwalk Wed 21-Oct-20 12:12:11

In these Covid times with no signing/contact, some couriers are asking for DoB in case they later need to prove that someone accepted the parcel.

As an alternative they photograph the front door to show that at least they were there!

I've never been asked my DoB.

cornishpatsy Wed 21-Oct-20 12:17:50

Being on social media allows far more personal info to be out there.

Gransnet and your name put into google brings up all your posts and comments. From there it is very easy to work out where someone lives, their age, family situation employment, pets names that are often used as passwords even when they are away on holiday.

Some people even have photos of themselves and their grandchildren.

eazybee Wed 21-Oct-20 12:29:21

I have to be verified every time I buy paracetamol, only 32 at a time, in a supermarket, and I am clearly well into old age.

Bathsheba Wed 21-Oct-20 14:32:58

It infuriates me - I refused to reveal my DoB recently so the delivery driver asked to see my driver's licence instead. I showed it to him, from a socially distanced position, and he held his hand out for it. Not likely I told him! "But I have to see the date of birth on it - if I can't record this information I won't be able to deliver your parcel." Clearly I was going to get nowhere. So I gave him a false DoB and I got my parcel.

What was in it? A knife pleated skirt. No knives or sharp points anywhere, but the word knife was enough to trigger the demand for a DoB ?.

Conversely, when an electric knife was delivered by the same company only a few weeks earlier, there was no request for my DoB!

bikergran Wed 21-Oct-20 14:37:53

Charleygirl5 that was probably me lol.. I do tend to be over cautious at my checkout smile

Baggs Wed 21-Oct-20 14:59:20

Grey hair has its uses.

ninathenana Wed 21-Oct-20 15:31:53

Cornish
I have no photos of family on social media nor do I take part in the where were you born, what was your first school etc. pages. It never ceases to amaze me how much info people inadvertently give out even if their settings are tight.

Charleygirl5 Wed 21-Oct-20 18:34:30

I do not have a clue about FaceBook, better to stay that way I think.

Doodledog Wed 21-Oct-20 22:07:04

I don't like having to give my DOB and address in front of the whole waiting room when I have a hospital appointment, or my address at the pharmacist in front of the rest of the queue.

It might be an over-reaction, but I am a private person, and it makes me uncomfortable.

I heard recently about plans that would give people (eg shop assistants) the right to question those who are unable to wear masks for medical reasons. This wouldn't affect me personally, but I think it is a huge breach of privacy. I don't think that anyone should have the right to insist that someone reveal their medical history.

Similarly, I don't like forms that insist that women declare their marital status when men don't. I'm not a fan of 'Ms', and normally just refer to myself as 'given name/surname'. On official documents I am 'Mrs', but I see no reason to declare this in order to buy something, or for any reason other than things like passports. My husband doesn't have to do so, and it's just not relevant.

There do seem to be a lot of cases where our privacy is routinely invaded these days - at one time it would be considered rude to ask someone their age, never mind medical history.

Grannynannywanny Wed 21-Oct-20 22:17:58

My son had a gift of wine delivered to my address to pass on to his sister on her birthday.
The courier insisted on seeing my passport for ID before he’d hand it over! I laughed at first thinking he was joking. But he stood on the doorstep while I went upstairs to rummage for the passport.

Callistemon Wed 21-Oct-20 22:37:03

As an alternative they photograph the front door to show that at least they were there!
They send a text with a photo of the front door to prove the parcel has been delivered. However, the front door is not always the correct one and the alleged delivery never arrives.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Oct-20 22:53:45

Here’s the photo they sent to me, although I was in and they had actually handed it to me personally I m glad I was in as I would have had no idea where to look for it if I hadn’t been

Callistemon Wed 21-Oct-20 23:09:11

grin taken on the run, Bluebelle!.

I was in but the parcel was delivered somewhere else unrecognisable to me.
My friend's furniture was delivered somewhere else too; she got it eventually after a wrangle.

Spangler Wed 21-Oct-20 23:15:21

There's no point getting annoyed at your personal data being harvested. It happens every time you use a plastic card. Whether that's debit, credit or simply a loyalty card, big brother is clocking you.

Add in anything that you have posted here or elsewhere on social media and it doesn't take long long before you are actually the product.

If you buy on line you will be asked to fill in a few details, one of those details will be your e-mail address. There will be little oblong shaped boxes referred to as, "fields." Some fields are marked with an asterisk, these are compulsory. Ask yourself, why is an e-mail address compulsory?

The reason is that all your spending, along with your personal details are profiled. You may delete the information but big brother has already logged your details. What happens next is the most insidious part of the exercise. Copies of that profile are sold on and copies of profiles which contain additional information are bought, so that a complete picture of you, and your spending habits, are built up, that's why adverts target you with the sort of goods that might appeal.

I get targeted with everything from new baby products to female sanitary needs, which tells me that my profile has yet to be matched to me.

Callistemon Wed 21-Oct-20 23:20:52

Lynmary you don't have to give the correct dob - just as long as you're over 18.