Gransnet forums

Chat

Can I claim maternity allowance along with state pension??

(31 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Sun 29-Nov-20 09:48:44

That was a dilemma facing me overnight! I had crazy vivid dream where I’d just left my GP surgery after being told I was pregnant. I accepted the news and didn’t question if it was possible for a celibate 66 yr old to become pregnant. I went straight to the practicalities such as how would my AC and GC react to the news. How could I afford to provide for a baby when it’s already difficult to make ends meet with my state pension?

In the dream I retreated to my Mum’s house for advice. She died nearly 20 years ago and I rarely dream about her so it was lovely to see her. She took the news surprisingly well.

Eventually I began to question if my GP could be mistaken and I frantically began to google “is it possible for a 66 yr old post menopausal woman to be pregnant” Thankfully, I managed to wake at that point. When I woke I actually had my phone in my hand, I must have reached to the bedside and lifted it while still asleep.

That’ll be the last time I’ll have brie and crackers for a bedtime snack!

Grannybags Sun 29-Nov-20 09:55:33

? I dreamt I had a baby in my 60s. Glad it was only a dream!

Marydoll Sun 29-Nov-20 09:59:59

Grannynannywanny, when I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was a scam post! However, I was intrigued and had to read it! ?

Yogagirl Sun 29-Nov-20 10:06:20

How funny grin

I dreamt 2 nights ago, I was in a circle of friends, there were twins and then it turned out there were another 2/3 sets of them, all identical, with long straight auburn hair.
Wonder what that means confused

Grannynannywanny Sun 29-Nov-20 10:09:47

I often have bizarre dreams when I go back to sleep after a spell awake overnight. But that was the worst yet. I was very relieved when I woke up ?

Grannynannywanny Sun 29-Nov-20 10:12:27

Yogagirl I wish you hadn’t put that idea in my head. There are twins in my family. I’ll be afraid to sleep tonight!

merlotgran Sun 29-Nov-20 10:35:07

I thought it was a scam thread as well and was going to have a little bet with myself as to how long before it was deleted.

Step away from the Brie, grannynw grin

Nortsat Sun 29-Nov-20 10:46:55

Oh my goodness ... Not a premonition then ...

Sweet dreams tonight ! ?

Elegran Sun 29-Nov-20 11:01:11

Yogagirl It used to be said that ginger auburn twins were "Sunday afternoon babies" - the visible evidence of an enjoyable siesta after Sunday lunch - so do go for a brisk walk this afternoon!

Callistemon Sun 29-Nov-20 11:19:53

That made me laugh! I'm glad it was just a dream though ???

I had a weird dream on Friday night involving David Essex (I don't even like him).

Ramblingrose22 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:25:00

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has dreamed I was pregnant.

In my case I was horrified in the dream as well as after waking up and I put it down to a fear of things I can't control (of which there must be many!).

I recently saw a TV programme recommending a book about a virgin birth to a woman in her 40's so for others with no such fears it could be a subconscious desire to regain one's youth!

Ramblingrose22 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:25:36

PS I think the OP meant child benefit, not maternity allowance.

kittylester Sun 29-Nov-20 11:36:37

Pass David Essex over callistemon.

Callistemon Sun 29-Nov-20 11:55:39

Sorry, kittylester, David Essex went off for a walk with DS and family. We are all in sunny Majorca, where I rushed to be with my friend, having told her we couldn't go on holiday with her but then changed my mind and hopped on a plane, where I was horrified to see no-one was wearing masks!
Just as they were setting off for their walk, DGD1 ran back to ask if I had a plastic folder to put their map in in case it got wet, although it was sunny.

Then I woke up. So sorry, I don't know where David Essex got to.

Callistemon Sun 29-Nov-20 12:02:44

Grannynannywanny

I hope all goes well
???

Fennel Sun 29-Nov-20 12:13:47

I'm over 80 and had a dream a few years ago that I'd had another baby girl, fast asleep next to my bed. It was a a lovely feeling - woke up looking for her .
It's not impossible though Grannywanny - we had a neighbour who had 2 healthy babies when she was 55 and 57, a girl and a boy, by IVF. She was eligible for her teacher's pension.

Grannynannywanny Sun 29-Nov-20 12:32:51

Oh my word Fennel, I couldn’t imagine having the stamina for pregnancy, childbirth and caring for babies full time at that age. That’s remarkable. How old is she now and did she cope well?

sodapop Sun 29-Nov-20 12:45:17

Nightmare Grannynannywanny definitely cut out the late night cheese.
I have often had dreams where my husband has done something wrong and I've told him off the next day smile

Cheesey Sun 29-Nov-20 13:18:36

I have a recurring dream that I have had a baby and forgotten to feed it. I never did have a baby so perhaps the dream is telling me it's just as well. ?

Fennel Sun 29-Nov-20 15:24:41

@ Grannywanny I don't know how it all turned out. We both moved elsewhere and lost touch.
She and her husband seemed to cope well at first. they were so thrilled with them.

Grannynannywanny Sun 29-Nov-20 15:39:18

Fennel I suppose the fact they did it again after 2 years means the exhaustion didn’t put them off first time round. I hope it all worked out well for them.

SueDonim Sun 29-Nov-20 15:47:52

grin Grannynannywanny!

I used to have recurring baby dreams. Either the baby was gigantic (think that Donald Trump balloon) and completely helpless, or as tiny as a kitten but could walk, talk and do everything an adult can do. Bizarre!

Last night’s dream involved me failing in a job. I had to use a light sabre, a la Star Wars, to scan shelves and shelves of books to make sure they didn’t have coronavirus. I missed some of the books, which then became ill with CV and I got sent to prison for that. ? ?

AGAA4 Sun 29-Nov-20 15:49:26

That sounds like a nightmare Grannywanny. I have been dreaming more this year and wonder if it's the effect of the pandemic.

Grannynannywanny Sun 29-Nov-20 16:24:48

SueDonim may the force be with you! ?

SueDonim Sun 29-Nov-20 16:52:22

? Grannynnaywanny

I was a bit alarmed this morning to read that Darth Vader aka Dave Prowse has died. I hope it wasn’t anything to do with my dream! ?