Gransnet forums

Chat

Babies being given unusual names.

(88 Posts)
Quizzer Sat 09-Oct-21 10:47:04

My parents gave me a very unusual name. I’m not putting it here as it’s so unusual it might give my identity away.
It is a real name, probably Irish in origin but it doesn’t have a weird Gaelic spelling. It’s very like a similar male name and several other girls names, so why can’t people pronounce it correctly. Similar to Camilla, most people pronounce it either like Cameeela or even Camillaaah!
I have enjoyed it being unique but I feel sorry for all the children given odd names or odd spellings. They will spend the rest of their lives correcting pronunciation and spelling out their names.
Anyone else out there with the same thoughts?

CafeAuLait Sat 09-Oct-21 11:07:41

Yes, there were names I didn't call my children so they wouldn't have to spend their life spelling it to people. I sometimes think that if I could do it again I would give my children unusual names, just with usual spellings.

Thoro Sat 09-Oct-21 11:18:09

My first name is Stefanie - I always have to say ‘with an f not a ph’ whenever someone needs to write it down.

aggie Sat 09-Oct-21 11:25:19

My Mum used her Grandmothers maiden name as my name , it’s unusual even as a surname and made me stand out from School on ! Letters to be taken home were left out to be lifted , mine stood out because the Nuns didn’t add my surname , just my forename !
Still have to spell/explain it at 83 yrs old
I would rather have had a plain name so I could melt into the background

nanxious Sat 09-Oct-21 11:25:58

Happened to me - my name is unusual in the UK though not in some parts of the world. I've spent my life correcting people and even being corrected by them, when they think I don't know how to say my own name! It happens less often now as it is becoming more known here.

Kim19 Sat 09-Oct-21 11:38:22

Gave both children very unusual (at the time) names. Neither has ever had any problem with them.

mokryna Sat 09-Oct-21 11:58:53

I know what you mean living in France. However, even English people had to be corrected on the prononciation and spelling when I was young. Things have got better the last twenty years because of television but unfortunately not the spelling.

Hetty58 Sat 09-Oct-21 12:12:05

I like unusual names and my children and grandchildren all have them.

I do feel sorry for those given poplar names. They'll find others in their class or peer group with the same name.

People will assume that their parents are timid - also tend to guess their age by their name later on.

Elusivebutterfly Sat 09-Oct-21 12:22:56

I have an unusual name, also Gaelic, though I have come across others with the name, including some in the public eye and two girls in my year at school.
I have spent my life spelling my name out and hearing it mispronounced. I deliberately gave my children popular names as I did not want them to have the same problem.
Hetty - it would never occur to me that parents of those with popular names are timid - that seems a strange idea to me.

Hetty58 Sat 09-Oct-21 12:26:21

Elusivebutterfly, because popular names are 'safe', reliable, uncontroversial - parents with little imagination?

Yammy Sat 09-Oct-21 12:32:13

I gave mine normal names.though they always had to spell their surnames out.
I think first names can put you in an era mine stops at 1960 I have always had to spell my surname out both before and after marriage .
As an ex teacher I pity the poor children who have very unusual names,I remember a collegue looking at a child and quoting a comedian I think it was Jasper Carrot.
"When I look at him and see his name I automatically put him in green group in the corner with the ones who need extra help".
Though you never know maybe they like them and standing out from the crowd their parents obviously did.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 09-Oct-21 12:35:52

Some children are given really daft names just so their parents can be different. I won’t give any examples or I’m bound to upset someone. I always wonder how the children thus lumbered get on at school and work.

rafichagran Sat 09-Oct-21 12:41:25

Hetty People give children popular names because they like them.
I have a daughter with a name that was is not popular, she was the only one in the class, my son had a very popular name which I love and so does he, timid or lack of imagination does not come into it.
Also just because a name is unusual does not mean it is nice. I find your statement a bit patronising. I would never say this about someone with a unusual name even if I find the name a weak or silly one, it is personnel choice.
Mumsnet has a naming baby section, and some of the posters absolutly love a name, and are worried about using it because it is popular, why, if you love it use it.

travelsafar Sat 09-Oct-21 13:17:50

Talking about names, i gave my daughter the name of her paternal great grand mother. Years later and to this day i wish i had given her a more interesting name.

Hetty58 Sat 09-Oct-21 13:27:33

rafichagran, I think you mean personal (hoping HR aren't involved) and that's my point. It's a shame when there's a sudden rash of popular names, everyone copying. I think it was all Alexanders when my sons were small.

My second husband got the ghastly name of the main character in the book his mum was reading at the time (that's how much thought went into it) so always used his middle name!

Marmight Sat 09-Oct-21 13:29:23

One of my daughters has an unusual name which is not difficult to spell. It’s amazing how many different ways people have a go at spelling it. It is spelt just like it sounds so I don’t see the problem they obviously have with it ?

lemongrove Sat 09-Oct-21 13:37:27

When naming our children we tried to give them names which would suit them at whatever age they were.
A lot of names suit cute young children but may sound daft on an older person, and extremely daft on an elderly person.?

FlexibleFriend Sat 09-Oct-21 13:38:57

Both my sons were given just one name and that name was unusual at the time and still unusual today. Neither had any issues with their name. We gave them names we both liked and didn't consider what anyone else would think.

lemongrove Sat 09-Oct-21 13:39:32

There’s also the surname to take into account....Eileen Dover, Miles Standing etc.

rafichagran Sat 09-Oct-21 13:39:55

Yes Hettymy mistake definitely not bringing personnel into it, lazy typing, just hit predictive text.
I still think a name is personal choice and we should not be put of by whether it is unusual or popular.

Zennomore Sat 09-Oct-21 13:40:43

My maiden surname is not common, outside of Scotland, and people found it difficult to spell and pronounce. My first name is straightforward but definitely of it’s time.

Kali2 Sat 09-Oct-21 13:41:01

And what is 'normal' somewhere, may not be 'normal' at all depending where they might decide to live later. We chose names that would fit in several languages and in most places. What is 'normal' or 'unsusual'.'

Nannan2 Sat 09-Oct-21 13:57:24

2 of my sons have shortened their name, and 2 could not, but rest of family made it longer instead, putting 'y' on end.and it annoys one, but doesnt bother youngest! Same with my girls, they get called shortened or nick name variants of their names.Shame really, as they're not unusual ones, and nice names.

Lincslass Sat 09-Oct-21 14:03:21

Hetty58

Elusivebutterfly, because popular names are 'safe', reliable, uncontroversial - parents with little imagination?

Thanks for denigrating a huge number of the population. Still rather our ˋordinary nameś than calling a child a name they may well be embarrassed about as they grow older and see how ridiculous it sounds,
www.babygaga.com/20-baby-names-that-should-be-illegal/

ginny Sat 09-Oct-21 14:07:27

My 3 daughters have don’t have particularly unusual names but all three often have have to spell them out as there are different ways to spell them.