Gransnet forums

Chat

Making new friends

(29 Posts)
HowVeryDareYou Tue 22-Mar-22 14:00:17

How do people over the age of 60 make new friends? I'm almost 63, married with a family, but find I'm really lonely most of the time because they're all off out at work or meeting up with their own friends. I'm not working at the moment (was ill last year, signed off until September). My confidence has taken a real blow and I'm quite an introvert.

Dottygran59 Tue 22-Mar-22 14:02:01

We'll be your friends! Meet ups will start again soon (if they haven't already) Where do you live?

PECS Tue 22-Mar-22 14:10:23

It is harder..I made new friends 11 yrs ago when I moved house..I was 61. I got involved in the WI by setting up a new group. In doing so met some like minded women of different ages. Though no longer a WI member a group of 8 of us became friends & regularly meet up for book club, wine club, walking group,. We have been away together to Spain, to Wales and often have days out! We support each other in all sorts of ways. Some have partners, some do not. I think joining a few groups is good..they may not turn out to be for you but along the way you might meet a few people that you connect with!

Chestnut Tue 22-Mar-22 14:12:02

The obvious answer is to join a local group where you will find people who share the same interest. Whether it's walking, birdwatching or other outside activity, or an indoor group reading books, family history, playing cards, whatever rocks your boat. Once you've met up a few times you'll probably find someone you can talk to and start a friendship with.

Start with U3A by typing 'U3A (name of your town)' into Google which will bring up your local group. You should have plenty of choices there. Good luck with your local folk!

HowVeryDareYou Tue 22-Mar-22 14:12:20

Dottygran59 Thanks smile. Nottingham. I need to join something/get some hobbies.

HowVeryDareYou Tue 22-Mar-22 14:14:37

Chestnut Thanks. I've found a group about a mile away, they meet once a month for couple of hours. It's a start.

Audi10 Tue 22-Mar-22 14:17:26

I tend to speak to everyone whether it be dog walking. Standing in a queue. Waiting for a bus etc etc, but I’m not a shy person so maybe that’s much easier, I’m few years older than you! And retired, I would suggest joining a local group! Good luck op

Dottygran59 Tue 22-Mar-22 14:17:45

Ah too far away from me, but some great suggestions on here. I'm really quite insular from choice (think hermit) but if I DID want to meet new people I wouldn't hesitate to join MEET UP.

BlueBelle Tue 22-Mar-22 14:26:31

Just talk to everyone, with some you will click, some you won’t ….also a bit of voluntary work which can be as physical or as light as you want, can be once a week or seven times a week really in your control and you can meet some lovely people
Most of my close friends have come from chance meetings

‘Meet up’ isn’t in every area, there isn’t one in mine
My friend has a best friend just from sitting next to her on a bus and getting into conversation

Charleygirl5 Tue 22-Mar-22 14:38:19

I meet up monthly with 3 other GNs for coffee and I think this is year 5 or 6. Another group of us met frequently pre Covid in central London and that will be starting again soon.

I met another GN for coffee yesterday- we have met before and we correspond online.

You could ask online how many are around the Nottingham area and would like to meet up for coffee. Admittedly I am fairly outgoing so I have no qualms about organising it.

I correspond online with two other GNs with whom I just "clicked" but both live very far away.

M0nica Tue 22-Mar-22 14:44:48

Howverydareyou I have made friends, ones who live near me and where the friendship is self sustaining through Gransnet. In one case I sent a PM to someone, I realised lived somewhere in my area and who was struggling alone with a catastrophe. In the other case we met through a GN meet-up.

I am not sure whether you live in a town or country but villages will, as others say have WI, which even if not your thing long term, do help you get to know your fellow villagers. Volunteer with a charity. I worked with Age Uk for some years. They are not just charity shops, although Charity shops are always begging for volunteers.

I know it is difficult taking that first step and fearing rejection, I think we have all been there. But sooner or later, suddenly there is a slot that fits you and you are away.

kircubbin2000 Tue 22-Mar-22 17:18:10

I made some friends at the pool. We all swam at the same time and started going for coffee. Unfortunately I go to a different pool now where this hasn't happened.

geeljay Tue 22-Mar-22 17:25:35

In Devon, we have "Aging Well", sponsored by the council, and now with a lottery grant. To encourage folk who live alone to meet up, which they do weekly. Each one is alone and looking for company, which seems to work well.

HowVeryDareYou Tue 22-Mar-22 19:22:47

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I've just started doing some charity work, as a Call Companion. I rang a lady yesterday, and although we chatted for an hour, what I really need is to get out and see people. I went to my local park today, sat watching the ducks and swans, and struck up a conversation with a lady. We swapped Facebook details, she lives on the other side of town. I need to overcome this lack of confidence (that I seem to have had since being ill last year).

SueDonim Tue 22-Mar-22 19:25:15

Have you tried NWR? They’re an organisation for women and I’ve made some steadfast friends through groups in the past. nwr.org.uk/

One thing I’ve learnt through moving a number of times over the years is not to wait for anyone else to make the first move, because you’ll wait a long time. If you meet someone you think you’ll get on with ask them if they’d like to have coffee with you. Nowadays there are so many cafes and tea shops and I think that makes it easier than asking someone to your own home, initially.

Good luck!

Hymnbook Tue 22-Mar-22 19:47:47

HowVeryDareYou I've sent you a PM.

M0nica Tue 22-Mar-22 20:31:00

Age UK run activities that bring people together. It varies from county to county, but if you put your county name and Age UK in google that should get up the local branch.

Gotanewlife20 Tue 22-Mar-22 21:03:18

I am a 73 year old man widowed after a 48year marriage.I was left alone in a 4 bedroom house in a small market town where everything we did was done as a couple.I sold up and bought a one bed retirement flat in a small city in the southwest,closer to my children.I have joined walking groups and found this to be very sociable,have no upkeep on my property,and have no problem affording holidays..I'm living alone for the first time in my life,but not lonely.

HowVeryDareYou Wed 23-Mar-22 07:40:43

Gotanewlife20 Well done on finding a new life for yourself.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 23-Mar-22 07:47:50

I'm near Nottingham and have found friends with my hobby of sewing, being in a patchwork group which is in limbo at the moment. I've also started going to a handicrafts group on Wednesday afternoons which gets me out of the house.

Do you have a similar hobby? It can help to have an interest in things like that as it gives you a starting point for something to talk about.

Mapleleaf Sat 26-Mar-22 17:40:14

Our local church has a natter group - you do not have to be a church goer to join in, all are welcomed, and religion is not discussed. Perhaps a church local to you runs something similar.

jeanie99 Sun 10-Apr-22 00:14:43

The most obvious thing to do is join one of the many groups which will be available in you area.
I find though within these groups you'll find acquaintances rather than friends. Close friends are something different, they may start off as acquaintances and develop into a strong friendship, someone who you can talk about anything with and a person who you could rely on for support.
Sort out the interests you have and find a group, best of luck.

Redhead56 Sun 10-Apr-22 09:41:26

My husband was of a friend of a relation of mine we were just friends years ago. We met up again in our forties and married so we have known each other a long time.
My husband is rather more reserved than me. I have always been more outgoing and forward than him. We both have mutual friends we have known since youth and in our twenties.
Since retirement my husband has changed and has come out of his shell somewhat it’s nice to see. Walking the dog and volunteering has given him the opportunity to branch out. He has made new acquaintances and some have become friends who he values. Before he retired he kept himself to a routine and work came first apart from seeing our mutual friends.
You have to get out there join clubs even walking clubs etc. We have a local ranger group helping with maintenance in the local woods and litter picking. There are non vocational courses at local schools floristry or basic computer courses and the likes. Community halls are now opening up again ours have lots of things going on again. Volunteer there are lots of opportunities now choose something that is within your physical limitations and enjoy.

Daisymae Sun 10-Apr-22 12:01:51

I met one of my closest friends through a walking group. No one else turned up so we did our own thing. Sometimes you meet people that you just click with, but you have to put yourself out there. Sounds like you are making a good start.

Puzzled Thu 19-May-22 17:21:31

Walking a dog seems to be an excellent way of meeting and chatting with people.
But certainly joining the local U3A is good (Ours has over 100 groups, so there must be something for almost everyone).
Churches and their offshoot groups, (Knit and Natter, Friendship Club, Ramblers, Theatre Groups, Choirs, Music Groups, etc) can help, as will volunteering, fund raising for a charity, local cat, dog, or animal refuge.
Lots of possibilities. Don't be put off if some are less than welcoming. Just ignore them and go elsewhere.

Strangers are merely friends that you have not yet met.