Gransnet forums

Chat

What in your view is common ?

(218 Posts)
Floradora9 Thu 11-Aug-22 09:06:23

I was telling a friend about a neighbour who was having a hot tub delivered and her immediate reply was " Oh how common " . I was reading Lady Hales' biography " Spider Woman A Life ." in it she mentioned tht she and her sisters got the Girl comic as the Dandy and Beano were common . She was the president of the Supreme Court who rule Boris out of order for suspending parliament. She also quoted from her teenage diary how she had disliked the catholic chruches in Austria , too ornate. By the way give her book a miss it is so boring and I do not agree with her views.
The only things I do find common are men wearing sleevless vest tops and anyone covered in tatoos.

nanna8 Thu 11-Aug-22 09:22:28

Not a word you hear these days. I remember ,as a child, hearing people referred to as ,’common willies,’which is quite funny, really. I think excessive swearing is common

Fleurpepper Thu 11-Aug-22 09:23:44

More importantly, what do you mean by 'common'?

Doodledog Thu 11-Aug-22 09:25:12

When I was a child I thought the Wombles were common.

(the Wombles of Wimbledon, common are we) grin

I couldn't decide if they were plentiful or had no manners - it shows what a misplaced comma can do.

FannyCornforth Thu 11-Aug-22 09:25:25

I can’t see this thread going well!
It’s absolutely bound to cause offence.
‘Not in the spirit’, as they say smile

FannyCornforth Thu 11-Aug-22 09:26:04

I think that I thought that too Doodledog!

tanith Thu 11-Aug-22 09:28:14

I’ve never known what ‘common’ means other than a word used by so called ‘upper class’ to describe ‘lower class’ things as in Margot Leadbetters lines in The Goodlife.

RichmondPark1 Thu 11-Aug-22 09:28:26

It's a funny concept this 'common' thing. Something used to judge people, pigeon-hole them and keep them in their place.

Who decides what common is?

Describing something, e.g. a hot tub, as common is just rude isn't it?

Juliet27 Thu 11-Aug-22 09:29:40

I grew up on Dandy and Beano comics. I used to read them sat under the counter of the newsagents my dad owned and then put them back on the top to be sold. Common or what?!!

hollysteers Thu 11-Aug-22 09:29:59

My TV is on its last legs and I told my sister in law that I now fancy a really big screen
“Oh, how common” she said.
Don’t care, it will be lovely for films on dark winter nights.

Lucca Thu 11-Aug-22 09:30:22

My DIL has some tattoos and she’s lovely, classy, pretty, clever and creative and a great mum. A very outdated concept “common”

FannyCornforth Thu 11-Aug-22 09:30:55

One of my favourite songs from the 90’s is ‘Common People’ by Pulp.
Sheer poetry and a total banger to boot !

Juliet27 Thu 11-Aug-22 09:31:41

Ah yes Doodledog re Wombles, I used to read it that way too!!

FannyCornforth Thu 11-Aug-22 09:32:31

My accent is perceived as very common.
It drives me absolutely potty with fury!

hollysteers Thu 11-Aug-22 09:32:43

Fleurpepper Do you really think it needs explaining?

Lathyrus Thu 11-Aug-22 09:34:06

Having been brought up working class and married into a titled class, I found there was very little difference in general behaviour. Both classes were down to earth and pretty much at ease with who they were. The one thing they both despised was pretentiousness.

It was the middle classes who fussed about being “common”.

Doodledog Thu 11-Aug-22 09:34:11

FannyCornforth

Agreed - it's a great song. A lot better than the Wombles, too wink.

RichmondPark1 Thu 11-Aug-22 09:34:38

FannyCornforth Best song and lyrics ever!!

Rent a flat above a shop
Cut your hair and get a job
Smoke some fags and play some pool
Pretend you never went to school
But still you'll never get it right
'Cause when you're laid in bed at night
Watching roaches climb the wall
If you called your dad he could stop it all

PollyDolly Thu 11-Aug-22 09:36:26

Juliet27

I grew up on Dandy and Beano comics. I used to read them sat under the counter of the newsagents my dad owned and then put them back on the top to be sold. Common or what?!!

Nowt wrong wiv Dandy an Beano Juliet27! We had the Beano as kids and even Mum & Dad used to read it.

Very enterprising of you to read it under your Dads newsagent counter and place it back on the shelf for sale, proper "recycling". and not common at all.

RichmondPark1 Thu 11-Aug-22 09:38:36

If the Beano is common surely Lord Snooty would refuse to appear in it.

Iam64 Thu 11-Aug-22 09:41:38

FannyCornforth

That’s a favourite of mine as well. One I sing along to in the car
Like lady Hale, I was allowed Girl but not Dandy snd Beano. Lady Hale is a bit of a hero to me
My mum was lovely, kind and compassionate but, she had clear views on what was common. Bleach blondes, parents swearing at/smacking children, babies or small children with ierved ears, begged me not to pierce mine at age 18.
I’m pleased common is out of use but now we have chav and trash insyead

Juliet27 Thu 11-Aug-22 09:43:53

Ah yes Pollydolly my friends now always say what good condition my books are in when we swap them. I explain how careful I used to be to make sure I didn’t mess up comics!! The habit stayed with me!!

Chestnut Thu 11-Aug-22 09:44:38

I don't really use the word 'common' but I have another word which means the same thing!

Common is:
Excessive swearing (in conversation)
Lots of tattoos or piercings
Turkey teeth
Excessive botox or plastic surgery,
(fat lips, thick eyebrows, massive boobs i.e. Katie Price types)

So basically all the excessive body alterations that people make instead of just enhancing their natural features. All so common!

fairfraise Thu 11-Aug-22 09:46:39

I love that Blur song. I can play it over and over. Reminds me of when my AC were younger at home. I think tattoos look best on young slim legs and I don't like those jeans with huge holes and or rips in them.

Grannybags Thu 11-Aug-22 09:49:41

My teacher called me a tart and a gypsy when she saw I'd had my ears pierced aged 14. This was early 1960s

I assume she meant common!