Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Meghan & Harry's long, long, long goodbye......

(48 Posts)
Margs Thu 12-Mar-20 10:33:35

If the celebrity Royal couple were really so determined to leave the front line of duty behind and go off to do their own thing.......then why is it taking so very long? And why are their photos plastered everywhere in the media day in and day out?

Reminds me of the late Peter Cook & Dudley Moore singing the song "Goodbye".

(PS: Harry looking increasingly bewildered too - maybe the full impact of trying to have your cake and eating it is finally coming home to roost?)

Anniebach Thu 12-Mar-20 10:58:29

They are leaving 31st July but are expected back in June, no
surprise a carriage ride and a spot on the balcony.

MRGUDER Thu 12-Mar-20 11:07:25

I think a lot of those Royal Duties are planned months and months ahead. The Royal Family have it ingrained in them to turn up, if possible.
I shall miss Harry and Meghan - both amusing speakers but do not see why Public has to pay for their security now they are "private". They both are well-off and can command huge fees now.

eazybee Thu 12-Mar-20 12:45:07

Oh no. Why?

They seem to leave a trail of discomfort behind them.

Calendargirl Thu 12-Mar-20 13:04:17

AB

Leaving 31st July, but back in June?

pollyperkins Thu 12-Mar-20 13:08:44

Oh for heavens sake! Not again! Leave them alone!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 12-Mar-20 13:12:28

I wonder if the full impact of their decision was properly considered.

lemongrove Thu 12-Mar-20 13:23:37

Did you mean 31st March. Annie ?

Anniebach Thu 12-Mar-20 13:49:11

Yes lemon. sorry

Sussexborn Thu 02-Apr-20 10:47:45

I ‘m loosing track of time too, Annie. If MM really spent £1m on clothes in a year they will need to find a lot of people who actually care what they are thinking/feeling. The lockdown couldn’t have come at a worse time for them and their wokeness.

Oldwoman70 Thu 02-Apr-20 11:03:54

Good grief not another anti- M&H thread! If people are so fed up with them - stop posting about them

pollyperkins Thu 02-Apr-20 14:58:00

Yes Agreed. Give it a rest!

GagaJo Fri 03-Apr-20 12:17:21

Me 3 Oldwoman & pollyperkins.

trisher Fri 03-Apr-20 12:20:28

Me4 Gagajo, Oldwoman70* and pollyperkins (are you from Paddington Green?)

ExD Fri 03-Apr-20 12:23:57

I'm still interested in H&M and I think a lot of other people are too, if you're not interested you don't need to read these posts. Just don't bother to read them.
Yes, at the moment most of the comments are critical, but to be fair - they have made a lot of mistakes and left themselves wide open to criticism but hopefully they will soon start to regain our support and become a source of good.
At the moment I'm interested to know how on earth they are going to afford security protection.

Lucca Fri 03-Apr-20 12:27:52

ExD. But there’s another long running thread saying I am sure e everything there is to be said, made up, repeated etc etc

Lesley60 Fri 03-Apr-20 12:28:53

It’s a shame they don’t leave taxpayers money alone Pollyperkins, they don’t really want to be over here but happy for us to pay for their security.
If they have quit their jobs as royals then their perks should be stopped as ours would be in any other job.

merlotgran Fri 03-Apr-20 12:33:05

They've gorn!

Anniebach Fri 03-Apr-20 13:02:04

As we are free to ignore threads, what can be the reason for
some wanting this thread to stop?

ExD Fri 03-Apr-20 13:38:28

I feel the same way Anniebach. My husband watches football on TV - I don't - so I ignore it.
Lucca, I feel the other long running thread had degenerated into a slahging match between various members who seem to have know each other for ages and just love to send each other abusive posts. It was frankly becoming quite nasty.
Can't we be interested in Harry and Megan's antics in the same way as we're interested in (say) Wills and Kate's?
Please?

Anniebach Fri 03-Apr-20 13:43:07

I think boredom so disrupting threads passes the time, unfair
on others.

ExD Fri 03-Apr-20 14:06:26

Thank you Margs for reintroducing this topic. I too have been looking closely at photos of Harry and thinking his eyes look empty and sad.
I would love to talk to them and ask them to reconsider and to return home.
For most of our generation it was usual for new wives to move to their husband's location and set up home there although with the queen and Pr Phillip is was the other way round and Princess Anne managed to semi-leave the R Family and keep (most of) the public's respect.
I wish they'd tried harder.

Lucca Fri 03-Apr-20 14:10:28

It was frankly becoming quite nasty.

It was indeed nasty about m and h and had been nasty for about 40 pages
Surely that’s enough.

Anniebach Fri 03-Apr-20 14:32:44

It is up to moderators to judge if posts are not acceptable

sodapop Fri 03-Apr-20 16:25:47

The moderators are not consistent though Annie. Some posts are deleted for minor infringements whilst other posters are allowed free rein it seems.