Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

What a difference a comma (or lack of) can make! ?

(24 Posts)
phoenix Sat 06-Jun-20 14:02:05

Hello all, hope you are well.

Looking at a tray of chicken thighs that I am defrosting, I was reassured to see this message on the label:

"Reared with care by U.K. farmers with freedom to roam outdoors" (It was actually all in capitals, but I didn't want to appear to be shouting wink)

Well, that's a relief! Imagine what would happen if the farmers were not given the freedom to roam outdoors! They would be stuck inside, getting under their wives feet, animals wouldn't be fed, the dog wouldn't get any exercise, and he/she would have to get the copy of "Farmers Weekly" delivered, instead of being able to pop down to the village shop to collect it!

Fields would go unploughed, muck would be unspread, causing a huge build up, crops would not be planted, in short, without our U.K. Farmers being allowed the " freedom to roam outdoors " we'd be in big trouble!

Lucca Sat 06-Jun-20 14:07:40

Reminds me of epitaph “erected to the memory of James..drowned in the Severn by a some of his closest friends”

phoenix Sat 06-Jun-20 15:11:37

Lucca shock

And the classic exercise, not sure where I first read it, but along the lines of the difference between "Let's eat Grandma" and "Let's eat, Grandma"

World of difference!

Callistemon Sat 06-Jun-20 15:11:38

grin

A woman without her man is nothing.

A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Watch out for roaming farmers, though! They're all over the countryside.

phoenix Sat 06-Jun-20 15:12:34

Callistemon a classic! grin

Callistemon Sat 06-Jun-20 15:12:36

Crocodiles Do Not Swim Here.

That's ok then, anyone for a dip?

phoenix Sat 06-Jun-20 15:25:01

grin

Just emphasis the valuable role of the comma!

I know there is a society for protection of the apostrophe, but the poor humble comma has a very important role to play.

phoenix Sat 06-Jun-20 15:26:27

What? "Emphasis"

"Emphasises" damn auto correct!

LadyGracie Sat 06-Jun-20 15:26:34

Sign in a local beauty spot car park recently

‘No parking penalties issued in this car park.’

The comma between parking and penalties had been omitted.

Callistemon Sat 06-Jun-20 15:28:27

I saw that sign in a car park in Cornwall and misunderstood it at the time, LadyGracie.

Luckily DH understood

Bathsheba Sat 06-Jun-20 15:29:57

My favourite things are baking my kids and my dog.

silverlining48 Sat 06-Jun-20 15:30:57

Seem to recall the example of the note from the King instructing the killing of Thomas a Becket was missing a comma which changed the meaning completely. Can anyone confirm?

MawB Sat 06-Jun-20 15:40:08

I don’t think there was ever a note silverlinings !
Preaching from Canterbury Cathedral on Christmas Day 1170, Thomas displayed his stormy temperament when he excommunicated some of his fellow bishops with the words …’May they all be damned by Jesus Christ!’
Henry the King became incensed when he heard of this outburst and is said to have uttered the fateful words “Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest!”
Four of Henry’s knights, probably not the brightest of men, took this as a summons to action, and left for Canterbury immediately.
They reached Canterbury Cathedral on December 29th, where they found Becket before the High Altar, as he had gone there to hear Vespers. One of the knights approached him, and struck Becket on the shoulder with the flat of his sword. It seems that the knights did not at first intend to kill Becket, but as he stood firm after the first blow, the four attacked and butchered him.

Daddima Sat 06-Jun-20 15:56:47

Don’t know about Thomas a Becket, * silverlinings* , but there are those who say Irish Republican Roger Casement was ‘ hanged by a comma’.

BBbevan Sat 06-Jun-20 16:33:47

We had a headteacher who sent a letter out asking for Black ladies tights, and White men’s shirts. They were to be used for making costumes .!!!

silverlining48 Sat 06-Jun-20 17:16:12

Well someone got into big trouble because of a comma, really thought it was TAB, otherwise it’s Roger and out. confused

jeanrobinson Sat 06-Jun-20 17:24:15

When I was on Professional Conduct Committee at the GMC, we could not find a doctor guilty of a particular charge - although he was - because of a misplaced comma.

phoenix Sat 06-Jun-20 20:01:18

confused

Perhaps in thick, but don't understand some of ^^

Alishka Sat 06-Jun-20 20:09:48

Eats shoots and leaves, anyone?

phoenix Sat 06-Jun-20 21:26:46

I'm not in!

grandtanteJE65 Wed 10-Jun-20 12:42:23

It's a marvellous book, isn't it?

Those who haven't read Eats shoots, and leaves, please do so.

Daddima Wed 10-Jun-20 12:51:35

Grandtante, when that book came out I got three copies for my birthday!
They know me so well.

Didsbury Thu 27-Aug-20 22:57:07

Yes, that is one of my favourites

CanadianGran Fri 28-Aug-20 03:51:44

I have issues with punctuation; especially with phrases in brackets. I should pick up Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

Thanks for the recommendation.