Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Pronounciation on TV

(71 Posts)
Jillybird Sun 04-Oct-20 15:23:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Calendargirl Sun 04-Oct-20 15:31:21

I may be wrong, but the word ‘vulnerable’, which is used a lot at the present time, often seems to be pronounced ‘vunn-erable’

To me, this is incorrect, but I realise it could be me!

MamaCaz Sun 04-Oct-20 15:37:05

I've never noticed how others pronounce that particular word, so no, it clearly doesn't bother me. Plenty of other words where people say 'sht' instead of 'st' irritate me though, such as 'shtreet' instead of 'street'.

Btw, I presume that 'pronounciation'was a typo?
I wouldn't dream of mentioning it if this wasn't on Pedant's Corner, of course wink

boat Sun 04-Oct-20 15:56:27

What gets me is ter and fer instead of to and for.

Luckylegs Sun 04-Oct-20 16:38:50

To be really pedantic, shouldn’t it be pronunciation, not pronounciation?

MamaCaz Sun 04-Oct-20 16:54:12

And before anyone mentions it, I've spotted my own mistake too blush grin

BlueBelle Sun 04-Oct-20 16:59:43

I ve never noticed that one but I get annoyed when I hear cooler said as quler by all the weather people

Scribbles Sun 04-Oct-20 17:00:05

Calendargirl, you are not alone. "Vunnerable" sets my teeth on edge too.

Doodledog Sun 04-Oct-20 17:12:25

"Sisth' instead of 'sixth' grates on me, and is getting more commonplace.

I am still struggling with 'negotiation'. I can't work out from the OP how it is being mispronounced or how Jillybird would pronounce it. Worse, I now can't decide how I pronounce it either grin. Whatever I say sounds wrong, after so many attempts to put in a 'ti' or a sh'.

Riverwalk Sun 04-Oct-20 17:29:38

Pronounciation? hmm

Riverwalk Sun 04-Oct-20 17:34:23

Jilly how do you pronounce the word negotiation - I’m confused!

MerylStreep Sun 04-Oct-20 17:40:09

Theresa May got it wrong every time. You would think that the amount of times she said the word she would pronounce it correctly. She pronounces the she as see

Jane10 Sun 04-Oct-20 17:46:28

So what?!

B9exchange Sun 04-Oct-20 17:57:21

DH always says 'appreesiation for appreciation and won't hear of it being pronounced any other way, says he was taught that way at school in elocution classes for poetry reading! Puts my teeth on edge! grin

annsixty Sun 04-Oct-20 18:37:20

These have got me totally “foxed”
I can’t understand if I can’t hear the nuances.
Am I alone?

biba70 Sun 04-Oct-20 18:41:31

with you Jane 10 - so what? The world is in such a difficult place and in the middle of a pandemic- so WHAT?

Many regional differences too, great.

Septimia Sun 04-Oct-20 18:45:16

Nu-cu-lar instead of nu-clear gets me. Artic instead of arctic. And lots more.

But as long as whoever is listening understands, I guess that's all that matters.

Grandmafrench Sun 04-Oct-20 18:48:03

Riverwalk

Jilly how do you pronounce the word negotiation - I’m confused!

Wasn't it always 'negosheeation' - but people now will often pronounce it 'negoseeation'

Kamiso Sun 04-Oct-20 18:51:49

OH’s current gripe is with twenny, thiree, foree.

As long as I know what is meant I won’t lose any sleep over it. Life’s too short.

Grandma70s Sun 04-Oct-20 18:58:30

It doesn’t matter in the great scheme of things, but I think it’s good to aim for high standards in pronunciation, as in anything else. Why not? Most poor speech is just laziness.

grumppa Sun 04-Oct-20 19:47:33

I say appreesiation, and appreesiates, but appreeshably. I suppose it’s because the penultimate syllable is stressed in the first two words, but not in the third.

biba70 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:50:32

BTW how does one spell pro.....iation. I would not say anything normally, but then ...

Lexisgranny Sun 04-Oct-20 19:57:09

This reminds me of the way Angela Rippon used to pronounce guerrilla!

JackyB Sun 04-Oct-20 20:09:15

I have just muttered 'negotiation' to myself a few times and I think I tend more towards the 's' in the middle rather than the 'sh'. The latter sounds as if I'm drunk.

My bugbear is when people say CONtribute and DIStribute. It sounds so odd, but more and more people are doing it. But I've said that before here and I seem to be alone in my sadness.

annodomini Sun 04-Oct-20 20:56:31

"Febuerry" raises my hackles every time. Unfortunately that's almost every time anyone on the media refers to that month. Is the consonant cluster 'br' really so very difficult to master?