Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Home Improvements Covered By Grants

(5 Posts)
PippaZ Tue 09-Nov-21 11:56:48

There is a wide range of home improvement services that can be covered by government-issued grants. A care assessment will determine what improvements will benefit you the most.

In terms of minor adaptations, this includes (but is not limited to) providing: rails and bannisters, concrete steps or a ramp, motion-activated outdoor lights and intercom systems, a dropped curb, shower stools and bath seats, raised toilet seats and commodes, and tap upgrades.

Bigger adaptations can be covered by disabled facilities grants. These improvements include the installation of a new downstairs bathroom, the conversion of your existing bathroom into a wetroom, the fitting of a stairlift, the lowering of kitchen worktops and widening existing doorways to improve accessibility

This is from an article here

Although it appears to be only about wet-rooms it does talk about other help available:

There is a wide range of home improvement services that can be covered by government-issued grants. A care assessment will determine what improvements will benefit you the most.

In terms of minor adaptations, this includes (but is not limited to) providing: rails and bannisters, concrete steps or a ramp, motion-activated outdoor lights and intercom systems, a dropped curb, shower stools and bath seats, raised toilet seats and commodes, and tap upgrades.

Bigger adaptations can be covered by disabled facilities grants. These improvements include the installation of a new downstairs bathroom, the conversion of your existing bathroom into a wetroom, the fitting of a stairlift, the lowering of kitchen worktops and widening existing doorways to improve accessibility.

There is a thread Getting a social care needs assessment where you can discuss getting a Needs Assessment.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 09-Nov-21 13:04:23

Thanks, extremely. Helpful

PippaZ Tue 09-Nov-21 13:07:26

Sorry about the repeat blush Must be more careful with cut and paste!

Pammie1 Mon 13-Dec-21 20:07:08

There are basics that are provided free of charge after an Occupational Therapist assessment. These are things like grab rails - exterior and interior, raised toilet seats, bath lifts and mattress raisers, shower seats and bath boards etc.

A word of caution though. I think the system works best for those who are on low income. I had an assessment for a disabled facilities grant a couple of years ago and was asked to contribute a percentage because my private pension income took me above the threshold for a full grant. The work was mainly to install a wet room and one or two other things including ramps for wheelchair. Before going ahead I got some quotes for the work involved and found that it was cheaper to fund it myself.

f77ms Sat 01-Jan-22 10:21:13

Helpful but I'm afraid there are no grants only loans for home repairs, improvements. Also i have waited 3 years for mine to be approved. I am on pension credit and pip for cancer but i still have to pay monthly or after my death. I've been told there are no grants any more and haven't been for years. I think you can still get small items if you qualify.