Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Where to go for help

(29 Posts)
ExDancer Mon 14-Mar-22 10:53:52

One of my neighbours, in her 80s, is very frail and struggling with even simple every day chores. Her husband has a heart condition and although he does his best he can no longer maintain their extensive garden.
I understand they could get a grant/allowance from the govt to cover the cost of hiring someone to come in and take care of this. They do their best but several times last year they wore themselves out doing general maintenance like grass mowing, and she strained her back trying to cut up a small tree that had blown over - that sort of thing.
Can I apply for help on her behalf, and if so - HOW and WHERE.

M0nica Tue 15-Mar-22 13:24:24

DaisyAnne If you are on Pension Credit and get AA for personal care, the level of Pension Credit you get is increased, I think, by about £65 a week. The purpose of this is to help to pay for other needs you may have that are not covered by AA.

You will also be entitles to a hike in Housing Allownace and Council Tax Benefit, if you get it.

Because the level of Pension Credit goes up, someone who didn't get PC because their income was £1-£65 above basic PC will now qualify for it and should apply for it.

Attendance Allowance is not means tested Pension Credit is.

DaisyAnne Wed 16-Mar-22 12:15:31

Thanks Monica. That's really helpful.

wildswan16 Wed 16-Mar-22 12:29:36

I knew of a couple in this situation. They contacted their local allottment association (that had a long waiting list) and were introduced to a young couple willing to maintain their garden for free in exchange for the produce from the fairly large vegetable patch. Worked well for all of them.