Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Diary of a benefit claimant.

(1001 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 20-Apr-22 14:13:32

Having had a change of circumstances, I am now in the enviable position of needing to claim universal credit.
A telephone appt was made for 1.30 today.
After a phone call at 10.10 this morning, I recieved a text to phone them back urgently.

So, I phoned them back, waited almost an hour to be put through, and spoke to a woman who seemed to think the 1.30 appt was my idea, rather than their arrangement.

The appointment was duly arranged for it's original time of 1.30 today.

So, here I am, plugged into my charger, a pile of paperwork around me, still waiting...

I wonder if I could sanction them, as they do for people who are 5 mins late for appointments?

MissAdventure Wed 20-Apr-22 15:53:31

Ah thank you, lucky.
My gp did send a health coordinator round to me, but she was here 5 mins, said she couldn't help, and went on her way.

I've been better able to advocate for myself, so far, but I just feel too poorly.

MissAdventure Wed 20-Apr-22 15:57:26

biglouis

My nephew had a stroke and I was trying to sort out his ESA for when he came out of hospital. After holding on for about 30 minutes I finally got an agent and just at that minute a parcel arrived. The phone is cordless so I could easily carry it to the door, continue my conversation and accept the parcel. However when I said "theres someone at the door" she just hung up. If I had had her throat between my hands at that moment i would have strangled the b***h.

I have a,landline and a mobile, so I kept one clear in case they did phone, and used the other to phone them.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 20-Apr-22 17:07:05

Oh, MissAdventure, I am so sorry ? to hear of the cr××p time you are having. I hope that things improve for you soon .

MissAdventure Wed 20-Apr-22 17:11:08

Thank you.
All of you. smile

Witzend Wed 20-Apr-22 17:11:54

??, and ?? for it getting sorted out soon.
If the aggro continues, I wonder whether contacting your MP might help? They do sometimes get things moving.

Smileless2012 Wed 20-Apr-22 17:23:35

How frustrating MissA, I'm angry on your behalf as if you haven't got enough to contend with. Hope you have better luck next week and do keep us posted.

Sending you a BIG (((hug))).

MissAdventure Wed 20-Apr-22 17:42:51

My mp voted against the £15 vouchers for low income children during lockdown, and I had a huge poster in my window calling for her resignation, so I don't think I'd be top of her pops. grin

Cabbie21 Wed 20-Apr-22 18:24:39

My CAB has a Help To Claim team, who will set up a conference call with you and UC, then followup with you. I am surprised if they just left you to get on with it.

MissAdventure Wed 20-Apr-22 18:29:38

They did set it up, but no follow up was offered.
Just as well, really, since it never happened.

sodapop Wed 20-Apr-22 19:23:01

So frustrating MissA especially when you are unwell. I hope you can get some help with this.
Good luck.

Jaxjacky Wed 20-Apr-22 19:49:57

I’m so cross for you MissAdventure my daughter went through a similar situation for child and housing benefit when she started a p/t job. Fortunately we could help her out financially, but there are so many on their own without such help.
I really don’t know what to suggest, can you contact the head of service in the department?
I wish you a better consideration next week.

MissAdventure Wed 20-Apr-22 19:54:53

Well, I'm hoping today was just a blip. (Besides which, I've no more energy!)
Better luck next week, I hope.

midgey Wed 20-Apr-22 19:57:29

Oh MissAdventure what a nightmare. flowers Hope life improves rapidly.

Urmstongran Wed 20-Apr-22 20:05:42

I’ve just seen your thread MissA and I hope next week brings you the UC you need and deserve without any more hassle. ?

kittylester Wed 20-Apr-22 21:08:52

MissA, you could see if AgeUk can help. I know you are not that old really but they help anyone over 50.

MissAdventure Wed 20-Apr-22 21:12:38

Does it count if you feel about 100 years old? grin
Thank you all.
I have a list now, of potential helpers.
I will be phoning them next week if don't get the call I'm expecting.

maddyone Thu 21-Apr-22 10:28:35

Hope you’re feeling a little better today MissAdventure. flowers

silverlining48 Thu 21-Apr-22 10:39:26

Hi Max a big gentle hug from me flowers x

Luckygirl3 Thu 21-Apr-22 10:52:12

MissAdventure

My mp voted against the £15 vouchers for low income children during lockdown, and I had a huge poster in my window calling for her resignation, so I don't think I'd be top of her pops. grin

She sounds a charmer!

But in theory she should be objective and professional and take up your case. I am a born optimist!

I hope that you will be feeling better soon; and that you get some proper response from the benefits agency.

SporeRB Thu 21-Apr-22 13:17:05

Out of curiosity, if you have eye and mobility problems, can you claim both PIP and Universal Credit?

My husband is in his early eighties, I recently wrote to DLA 65+ asking them to review his care component, the claim was processed very quickly and approved within a week of receiving my application.

I attached a medical report from a consultant and letters from the hospital as medical evidence together with the application.

Hope you have a good outcome next week.

silverlining48 Thu 21-Apr-22 14:46:38

Apologies MissA with mistyped user name.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Apr-22 14:46:58

Thank you.
Well, at 10 past 10 this morning, I was phoned again, and the person couldn't discuss with me that fact that they were supposed to phone next week.
I had to go through a big old rigmarole of security questions, first.
The upshot is that I now have to go to the job centre next week.

I didnt pass the questions about where I was working on specific dates in 2017.
I can't remember.
It's that simple; I have no idea.

hulahoop Thu 21-Apr-22 14:57:58

Miss A?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 21-Apr-22 14:58:16

Left hand doesn’t know what right hand is doing eh? Hopeless bunch.

Smileless2012 Thu 21-Apr-22 14:58:59

For goodness sake it was 5 years ago; why does it matter?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion