Gransnet forums

Pets

Blind Yorkshire terrier

(39 Posts)
Willow10 Wed 24-Oct-18 16:39:04

Does anyone have experience of keeping a blind dog? I've been hankering after a dog for some time, having lost my last one to cancer 5 years ago. Yesterday I saw a little Yorkie female on a rescue site, nine years old and blind. Poor little soul has already wormed her way into my conscience and I've registered an interest in adoption. I haven't met her yet and was hoping for some words of wisdom from anyone with experience before going any further. It would be helpful to know exactly what I would be taking on.

Willow500 Wed 24-Oct-18 17:22:35

Aw do it. We had a blind cat and he managed remarkably well. There are some videos on YouTube on how to cope with a blind animal and deaf ones - it will take some patience and she'll have to find her way round but will make a lovely pet. If her blindness is due to some illness you'll need to be prepared for vet bills and the insurance may be higher.

We adopted an older rescue dog years ago who had been thrown out with pups. She was the most gentle dog and loved by everyone.

FlexibleFriend Wed 24-Oct-18 17:25:29

No but I have had a cat who lost his sight an adapted so well we were convinced he could still see at times but one eye had been removed and the other had completely lost all sight. So I think like my cat a dog would adapt rather well. speak to the rescue and see how long it's been since they lost their sight and how well they've adapted.

Willow10 Wed 24-Oct-18 17:44:58

'Aw do it'. Willow500, you are as bad as I am - I just know if I see her I won't be able to say no!grin I don't know anything about her history yet, the adoption supervisor is away until Tuesday. Hopefully I will learn more then and it will help me come to a decision. A lot to think about and the more info, the better - thank you.

sodapop Wed 24-Oct-18 18:01:23

I think the little dog will probably cope well once she has had time to get used to you and her new surroundings. It will take time and patience but such a kind thing to do. It's important to leave furniture etc in the same place once she has got used to the layout and keep obstacles to a minimum.
I hope it works out for you both.

polyester57 Wed 24-Oct-18 18:09:54

Here is another vote for yes, you should adopt her. Dogs have a very acute sense of smell which serves them better than sight. My dog is now 11, I am sure that he can´t see all that well, when we´re out and he runs some distance away, he seems confused, but when I call out, he turns my way and smells me out. I also have a three-legged cat, who had to have a leg amputated because of cancer. I didn´t know how he would cope, but he´s just got on with it, it´s been three years now. Animals don´t sit there thinking, what do I do now, I wish I could see/hear/have all four legs, they just make the best of what there is. You would be doing a very worthwhile thing taking on this pet that might otherwise not find a family. An older person is definitely most suited in taking on this kind of pet. Best wishes, hope it all works out.

Willow10 Wed 31-Oct-18 20:51:19

Update on the little Yorkie. I've waited anxiously for the phonecall from RSPCA, which was promised for yesterday. Today I checked the website and the dog has been removed, so I'm assuming she has been found a new home. I sincerely hope she will now have a happy life. But after taking all my details and knowing how keen I was, it would have been really nice to be kept informed. Even a quick email would have done. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be, but I'll keep looking. Thank you for all your advice.

Willow500 Wed 31-Oct-18 21:23:25

That's sad - I would still ring in the morning just to make sure someone has adopted her. Maybe her owner came forward.

Grannyben Wed 31-Oct-18 21:34:27

I've always had rescue dogs. When looking for my second one, I thought a little girl about 2 years old would be perfect. Looking around the rescue centre, they were all far too large and I was concerned they wouldn't get on with my original dog. Then, there she was. Aged 15. Her owner had died and no one would take her because of her age. She had been waiting for 7 months.
I had 18 months of joy with my darling girl.
Please keep looking Willow, there's someone out there just waiting for you to find them.

Willow10 Thu 01-Nov-18 08:12:45

I will phone this morning W500, just to put my mind at rest. Gben, you could be right. Over the years most of my pets have come to me more by accident than design - all have been rescues and many of them elderly. So I'm sure he or she is out there somewhere! Thank you both.

Willow10 Thu 01-Nov-18 09:43:44

I phoned the RSPCA and it turns out the dog has some health problems and is still being assessed. There has also been a lot of interest in her, which is why her details have been removed from the website. It could be a couple of weeks before there is any news, so it's a matter of wait and see. Just have to be patient! smile

Drwatfam Sat 01-Dec-18 23:29:24

Dear Willow10 ,
I don't know of you ever did manage to adopt your little girl I so hope so .
I have just seen these posts and wanted to tell you about my little Holly .
Holly is a small , brown JRT , almost 15 and feisty as can be ... typical JRT !
She has cataracts and over the last couple of years her eyes have turned almost completely white . She's too old for surgery now but she manages really well around the house and garden . Apart from the fact she can't find her beloved tennis balls easily now she seems as happy and waggy tailed as ever .
She's currently snuggled up on the bed beside me and has no problem judging how to jump up.
Clearly , dogs rely on their other senses more than we do . I am guessing your little Yorkie will get around just fine xxx

sodapop Sun 02-Dec-18 08:38:01

So good to hear about your JR Drwatfarm they are such great characters and so bossy !!
Hope you have more loving time with Holly

Willow10 Sun 02-Dec-18 09:05:40

Thank you for your interest Drwatfam. Unfortunately the little Yorkie is still with the RSPCA, it turns out she has a collapsed trachea. She is having treatment but still has to be assessed by the vet weekly. I get occasional updates by voicemail but as yet she is not ready to go up for adoption. I know there are several people interested in her, but the outcome is still very uncertain. Meanwhile I am registered with other charities and still looking for a cat-friendly little dog - which it turns out is a very popular request and not easy to find! I'm sure the right one will find me eventually. I'll post again to let anyone who is interested know what happens. Enjoy your little Holly, she sounds adorable!smile

Willow10 Mon 24-Dec-18 12:31:33

Update about Lily, the little blind Yorkie. Apparently she has some quite serious on-going health problems. So rather than adoption, she is being fostered on a permanent basis.

I'm registered with two adoption charities so hopefully the right little friend will turn up at the right time. Thank you for all your advice and comments.

Iam64 Mon 24-Dec-18 13:17:51

That's good news Willow, that the little blind Yorkie is to be fostered on a permanent basis, it means the rescue will pay her vets bills.
Best of luck in your search for your next dog

Sparklefizz Mon 24-Dec-18 14:08:17

Willow10 You know what they say: "There is no love like the love you will get from a rescued pet."

It's been true with all the cats I've rescued over the years.

There will be a little dog who needs all the love you have to give.... and will return it 10-fold.

Happy Christmas to you.

Willow10 Mon 24-Dec-18 15:03:33

I used to volunteer for Cats Protection and have had several rescue cats as well as dogs over the years. Down to one cat now - each and every one has been a real character and will never be forgotten. The world would be an empty place without our pets I think. tchsmile

Willow10 Sat 16-Mar-19 11:25:51

Another update! I've just spoken to someone at Wood Green about a little Yorkie female. It appears she is cat friendly but very nervous and needs a quiet home with minimal visitors ( which mine is). The only problem appears to be that she has bitten a stranger who approached her in the previous owners garden, which was why she was given up. Hopefully with training classes, this could be worked on.
I'm seriously thinking of going to visit, but looking at my four year old cat sleeping peacefully on the chair, I wonder if I am being fair to her or just being selfish? How have others introduced dogs to their existing cat(s)?

sodapop Sat 16-Mar-19 12:33:03

I have, we already had two dogs and a cat when we rescued a Yorkie cross. There were some spats mainly around food, the cat slaps the Yorkie in the face when she goes too far.
Generally they coexist well and often share a bed. It's a case of being firm and ensuring no one gets bullied. Pets will usually sort out their own hierarchy.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Mar-19 12:51:04

They could get on really well Willow but I would be more concerned about the dog than the cats - cats usually get the upper hand and show a dog, even a large one, who is boss, who is charge of the household.

2Dogs Thu 28-Mar-19 06:17:27

Yes. Adopt ! These Yorkies are loyal and lap dogs. Once she gets to know you she will be a lifelong friend.

Willow10 Sun 21-Apr-19 15:04:16

This is turning into a long saga! The Yorkie was adopted and then returned because it was aggressive. It has now been adopted again. I hope it has found the right home this time.

Last Wednesday I met the most adorable, scruffy and soppy little dog at the rescue centre. I took him for a walk and we bonded instantly. He is perfect - happy, sociable, cat, dog and people friendly - everything I'm looking for. But when I went to reserve him and request a home check, it appears that the kennel person and the office hadn't been communicating and he was already reserved. I was devastated - I've never felt such an instant connection with any animal before. I was registered as a second reserve and returned on Thursday to walk him again. A kind kennel person could see how I felt and joked that I should put him in my bag and sneak off. If only! The first people are still waiting for a home check apparently and although I feel guilty saying it, I'm hoping they don't pass or maybe even change their minds! I even whispered to the dog to make sure he misbehaved when they returned, even biting them if necessary! grin Realistically they are bound to get him, but I can't get him off my mind. Finding another one like him is going to be so hard!

Eating a whole Easter egg (as well as nine chocolates blush) has not helped. Why does it have to be so difficult? sad

Jaye53 Sun 21-Apr-19 15:35:27

Sadly there are thousands of dogs all over UK and beyond that NEED their very own humans.sadalways adopt.

phoenix Sun 21-Apr-19 15:37:45

Oh fingers crossed for you Willow10 !!