Gransnet forums

Pets

She's definitely weird!

(30 Posts)
phoenix Fri 17-May-19 18:59:16

Hello all,

Well, Mr P and I have reached agreement about Minnie, who joined our household from Cats Protection earlier this year.

It started with sponge stealing, those yellow/green ones used for washing up. I would go to wash up, no sponge, get a new one out.

Then I started finding the sponges on the bed confused, in the sitting room, the hall, plus the occasional dish cloth, and on one occasion, a rubber glove. Mr P protested innocence!

So, we worked out that it was Minnie, and decided that perhaps she might have been a scullery maid in a previous life smileand

She also has an odd approach to hunting, appearing once with something that looked like a mouse tail dangling from her mouth. It turned out to be an earthworm!

So today she came in through the kitchen window, making "that noise" (that I'm sure all cat owners know) that means "I am a hunter, and have brought my prey to you"

As I didn't want any mice/voles/shrews running riot, I chased her into the hall.

She was the proud possessor of a piece of cellophane confused although, by the look of it, it had put up quite a fight!

I honestly think that she is either incapable of not interested in hunting, for which I'm pleased, but if only she would apply such reticence to her windy pops!

blondenana Fri 17-May-19 19:07:20

Cats are funny creatures aren;t they?, one of mine once came running up the garden with a paper bag with half a sausage roll in it, goodness knows where she found it,
I dont have that cat now but still have 3 Ragdolls, and one of them tries her best to get my phone off me,when i am on it,also tobacco is like catnip to her, [not mine i don;t smoke]

jusnoneed Fri 17-May-19 19:08:16

lol, quite a character by the sound of it.
A friend of mine has two indoor cats (one Ragdoll and another big expensive beautiful furry creature) and she would come home to find items of her sons clothes on the stairs or in the living room etc. At first she thought he was dropping things as he went to the washing machine but realised that couldn't be the case. Quite by chance she caught the culprit, the cat, coming down the stairs dragging a tshirt! He would get up onto the high bed or wherever the clothes had been chucked and bring them downstairs.

nanny2507 Fri 17-May-19 19:13:40

i had a ragdoll but someone stole him from my drive 7 weeks ago. I cannot express how upset i am.

phoenix Fri 17-May-19 19:25:14

nanny2507 so sad for you, have you put posters or notices around?

Alima Fri 17-May-19 19:27:10

Cats really are characters! We had one, Nigel, never actually caught anything living but did bring home washing up scourers and even a moccasin slipper once. Can picture him now being chased around next door’s oak tree by a pheasant. Minnie sounds a delight.

crazyH Fri 17-May-19 19:32:05

What a little character ?

CanadianGran Fri 17-May-19 19:32:36

Last summer on the Vancouver news there was a story showing an embarrassed cat owner. His kitty was bringing home washing from someone's line, but he wasn't sure to whom it belonged!
I think he left a sign at his front gate for any owners to come forward and collect their missing items. Naughty kitty!

ninathenana Fri 17-May-19 19:33:48

A cat we had many years ago came running home carrying a paper bag from a local butchers. I managed to retrieve it expecting it to be someone's dinner. It contained tomatoes.

nanny2507 Fri 17-May-19 19:40:32

phoenix. yes. Hes registered on dogs lost (yes they list cats) i hired a pet detection dog. Facebook. cats lost sights. posters flyers door knocking...you name it x

phoenix Fri 17-May-19 20:04:57

nanny2507 hope you get a good result. flowers

EllanVannin Fri 17-May-19 20:05:41

One of my cats is never happier until she's opened the 3 drawers to my wardrobe and hauled the contents out, my underwear drawer then tops and blouses in the other 2.
I'd love to catch her doing it. That task must wear her out because she invariably goes to sleep on my bed after.

phoenix Fri 17-May-19 20:15:37

Many, many years ago when I was in my early teens, I had been out with my mother and the lovely man that was to become my stepfather, and we came in to find that the cat had dragged my bra down from the clean laundry pile (my mother would put my washing on the end of the bed, down to me to put it away, quite rightly) and left it in the middle of the sitting room!

I was soooo embarrassed!

EllanVannin Fri 17-May-19 20:28:56

Hahahahaha. I wonder why they do these things ?

blondenana Sat 18-May-19 14:00:38

nanny2507 i am so sorry to hear your cat has been stolen, are you definitely sure that he hasnt wandered off, although i know in general they are not wanderers
I hope you find him. mine were housecats originally so dont seem bothered about going anywhere in fact i locked one of them out last week by mistake, out of the door that leads to the road too, i was panicking when i couldnt find her, but my dog was barking at the front door ,i opened it and there she was, been out all night
I let them in my back garden which would be difficult to get out of, but they never seem bothered,they just lie around
I do hope he comes back flowers

nanny2507 Sat 18-May-19 15:35:05

thanks. I really hope hes wandered off and is about to come home but sadly thats not what it looks like x

blondenana Sat 18-May-19 16:04:06

Has he ever gone off before? i hope that is the case,and he comes back on his own, a friend of mine had 2 Siamese who were sat on her wall when she was gardening, and someone pulled up in a car and snatched them both,it is terrible these days for pet theft, is he chipped, ?
The people who do this don;t seem to think the pet might be missing their owner do they ?
I don;t understand why people leave their dogs on their own in the garden, of course you should be able to, but a man on This Morning yesterday, a pet detective. said he is called to about 250 dog thefts a week,
I do hope you get hi back,i can only imagine how devastated you are, i cant bear to think about it happening to mine

nanny2507 Sat 18-May-19 18:22:08

blondenana he was only 10 months old and had just started going out. I live in a tiny rural village and if i,m honest i think someone in my village either stole him to sell or someone they know stole him. I hired a pet detective i hired molly who is owned by colin..Not the irish man on this morning...although he works differently and will plot routes and confront the people he thinks took them so i am thinking of hiring him too. Nasty people dont understand how they affect pet owners. I have cried everyday for 7 weeks. I have almost had a nervous breakdown and i am suicidal ...sad but true

blondenana Sun 19-May-19 11:56:36

Oh i am so sorry, i can really understand how upset you are, i do hope you can get him back,
I thibk Ragdolls are so placid they will just let anyone pick them up, did you see anyone hanging around or any strange vans, especially white ones, who often seem to be seen where pets have disappeared from
I have always kept my Ragdolls in until they have got older ,as then they are too nervous to go far, and would probably then run away from strangers
Like you i would find someone like a pet detective to help
Has anyone close to where you live,got a CCTV camera? they could check to see if anyone could be seen picking him up
Did he disappear in broad daylight
One of my previous cats [not a Ragdoll] went missing and i trawled the street almost all night looking for her, she came back on her own, but it was very out of character for her to go off, i had put posters up all over, and i thib=nk someone must have had her as it was just after that she came back
A good idea, if you advertise for any information is to say she needs regular medication, as i am sure that is what whoever had her let her go, as they wont know what meds, and might not want to risk taking to a vet, to find out and also it will cost them money
It is not sad that you feel like you do,they are part of our family, and not knowing where they are is the worst thing imaginable
Have you got facebook? a lot of pets are recovered after putting details on there

grandtanteJE65 Sun 19-May-19 12:41:16

A vet once told me that cellophane when it rustles sounds to a cat, and presumably to the vet in question, like baby mice.

The pot scourers are practicably indestructible and soft and cuddly, I think that is why cats like playing with them.

nanny2507 Sun 19-May-19 18:13:20

I was away when it happened OH was here. He went out at 4am and then at 6.15am when OH called him he never came back. No CCTV in the village and nobody saw/heard anything i scour facebook 20 30 40 times a day and i have posted him there on various pages xx

lemongrove Sun 19-May-19 19:42:57

When we lived in a small rural village ( a hamlet really) our cat vanished, he was possibly scared by something ( being of a nervous disposition!) A month went by, and we eventually found him living a mile away in somebody’s cottage...he had wandered there, and they took him in.

nanny2507 Sun 19-May-19 20:06:19

I really hope his has happened with my boy..but i have leafleted both my village possibly a hamlet but i dont know the difference grin and the hamlet/village over the fields and the one thats a mile away...that is a village

nanny2507 Sun 19-May-19 20:09:03

i think i live in a villaham lol

lemongrove Sun 19-May-19 20:20:06

grin I forget what the actual definition of a hamlet is, but it’s usually just a few lanes of houses, or a cluster around a crossroads, but no amenities at all and a couple of hundred
Inhabitants at most.
I leafleted and door knocked etc but gave up after a while, and was very surprised to find that he (cat) had been happily living less than a mile away, so much for them always being able to find their way home.
Don’t give up yet nanny and also ask local vets and any catteries or animal charities, take a photo with you.