Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat litter disposal.

(29 Posts)
shysal Fri 19-Jul-19 14:41:39

I use a clumping cat litter, from which I scoop the lumps several times a day into biodegradable poo bags. These have to go into the wheelie bin for land fill, collected once a fortnight. In the warm weather I can detect the smell as I pass the bin, despite having a deodorant in the lid and sprinkling Jeyes bin powder.
I am considering buying a nappy disposal unit similar to this link, but the cassettes are not cheap. What do others do and have you any better suggestions?Nappy disposal unit

shysal Fri 19-Jul-19 14:50:28

P.S. There is a pet version of the bin available but it is much more expensive.

LadyGracie Fri 19-Jul-19 15:29:38

I use one of these with nappy bags for my cats litter, it does work but come the end of the fortnight the smell does tend to permeate in the wheelie bin. You an shop around for cassettes and find them cheaper.

H1954 Fri 19-Jul-19 15:35:41

I really wish my neighbour was as responsible as you are shysal! Her cat uses my garden EVERY night! ??

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jul-19 16:01:40

I'm sure my daughter used litter which clumped and was then flushable.

jura2 Fri 19-Jul-19 16:14:29

flushing cat litter down the loo is massively environmentally disgusting and dangerous. A friend lived in a blocl of flats which exploded with several apartments destroyed, due to a lady flushing cat litter which blocked the drain and gases built up. Honestly, NO NO NO!

As we pay for litter disposal by weight where I live, when we had an indoor cat we used wood pellets for heating systems- and then put in our many composts in thin layers. The UK system of still using landfill in the 21st C is really disgusting and an environmental catastrophy our children and grandchildren will inherit. Meh, meh meh sad

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jul-19 16:19:05

And yet there are so many flushable ones, made with that purpose in mind.
uk.bestreviews.guide/flushable-cat-litters?origin=google&google_params[matchtype]=e&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=m&google_params[creative]=309532875015&google_params[keyword]=flushable%20cat%20litters&google_params[adposition]=1t4&google_params[adgroupid]=48545117949&google_params[campaignid]=991185117&bs=TCFNKMc8gyR9LpuVQVFDEg2QQ7eQB-5xBxprL-0b6U4UxKpKS4zDO5BytZvGRZJQ-A6bzP6g8SDengrCKgj6K2ULmCEcJQgh&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=kwd-300286752613&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=1006603&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&dest=0&sys_id=0|357&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1MXpBRDjARIsAHtdN-0a2q4Q3V8ZgnLDp0GGWRMRJhqfaFJP7Rl9zkT8JDzCamAjdsKK_soaAsFsEALw_wcB

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jul-19 16:20:11

grin oops.

jura2 Fri 19-Jul-19 16:21:20

Still, disgusting all the same.

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jul-19 16:22:02

Poo usually is.

Charleygirl5 Fri 19-Jul-19 16:25:12

My cat's litter tray has a plastic lining which I tie up and then place it in a carrier bag which is tied up and binned I do not smell anything when adding ordinary rubbish to the outside bin because it is well protected.

humptydumpty Fri 19-Jul-19 16:42:11

My cat must be unusual! after using her litter tray all the time for the first couple of months after we adopted her, she now hardly ever goes in the tray but somewhere outside. Great (for me!) in terms of dealing with litter, but we can no longer monitor how often she 'goes', quanitity, consistency etc....
Previously though, I agree with Charley, poo went straight down the toilet, then the whole llot was changed once a week having been collected inside a litter tray liner, which meant I never noticed a smell in the bin.

jura2 Fri 19-Jul-19 16:48:15

so 1 plastic bag, in a second plastic bag put in a third plastic bag...

Riverwalk Fri 19-Jul-19 16:52:44

What about double-bagging, or newspaper in addition to one poo bag?

Of course the main problem is fortnightly collection as opposed to weekly.

B9exchange Fri 19-Jul-19 16:59:12

You can get cat litter that dissolves in water, so the only thing that goes down the sewer is the poo itself, but I don't know too much about the silica chemicals used.

I would have thought that in biodegradeable bags, it could have gone into a bin with garden rubbish, but our local council don't permit that.

Riverwalk Fri 19-Jul-19 17:13:45

When having a clear-out I couldn't get any takers for old videos and in the end they were taken along with household rubbish. I checked online with various councils and government agencies and it seemed that cat litter, along with nappies & videos can't be recycled in any way and have to go in general rubbish.

This was about two years ago so not sure if things have moved on.

fizzers Fri 19-Jul-19 17:15:32

I don't use the clumping cat litter as it is too heavy, I use the wooden pellets or some other lightweight cat litter, I take the lumps out and put in a plastic carrier bag and tie up, shove in the bin, no smells, when I empty the complete tray it goes into a bin liner, tied up, in the bin, no smells

sharon103 Fri 19-Jul-19 17:21:10

Having tried various cat litter over the years.The very best one I've found is Bio-Catolet. I'll give it a plug now:light cellulose paper pellets, extremely absorbent and dust free, reliably masks odours, soft and kind to the paws. 100% Eco. CO2 reduced. climate friendly. £4.50 for a 12 litre bag from B&M stores. Morrisons about £6.50 and can buy online and delivered . Pets at home but more expensive. Can be composted but not to use on vegetable.
I have two cats now and leave a big litter tray in the downstairs toilet with the door open a bit. No smell at all ( until they have a poop) scoop it out and flush down the toilet. I use two doubled up carrier bags and scoop out the weed on litter morning and again at night, tie the bags tight and in the bin. No problems with smell from the bin. All of my cats and I've had five have wandered in from outside gone into the toilet, done what they had to do and then back outside. It makes me laugh.

BlueBelle Fri 19-Jul-19 17:59:39

Wonderful humptydumpty so shes one of the flipping cats that dump in other peoples gardens I love people’s cats that do that ? I think cats should be trained to use a litter tray in their own garden not other peoples flower beds and gardens

Sparklefizz Fri 19-Jul-19 18:09:10

Wessex Water, where I live, have particularly said that the chemicals used to clean the water cannot cope with the bacteria in cat poo, therefore those bugs are not being killed off. As water is recycled, this is totally disgusting, environmentally unfriendly and downright dangerous. I use clumping cat litter and I clean out the tray, wrap the clumps in several layers of newspaper and put in the black bin. No smells. I don't want to use plastic.

Sparklefizz Fri 19-Jul-19 18:11:28

I don't believe cat litter, even if advertised as such, can go down the loo. Remember how we were told wetwipes could be disposed of that way ... they were wrong.

Desdemona Fri 19-Jul-19 18:21:23

Putting cat poo down the toilet is risking everyone's health.

I use plastic litter tray liners, then put it into a tied up carrier bag.

Fennel Fri 19-Jul-19 18:34:54

When we had a cat she usually did her 'business' outside and carefully covered it afterwards.
In winter she used the litter tray. I picked out the 'crottes' every week or so using a plastic bag over my hand and put it in the non recyclable bin. There wasn't much bad smell -, the little there was came from her urine.
Then I tipped out the used litter every few weeks onto the weeds surrounding our land. It was a good weed suppressant.

wildswan16 Fri 19-Jul-19 19:18:32

You could buy a second hand small chest freezer for the shed/garage and shove the bagged poo in there and add it to the bin on bin day. (I wouldn't advise putting it into your food freezer though)!

shysal Fri 19-Jul-19 20:35:52

I wish I had space for a chest freezer, but I certainly wouldn't use it for cat waste! smile