Gransnet forums

Pets

Are you a cat or dog person?

(114 Posts)
MissAdventure Sun 06-Sep-20 14:20:49

Or maybe both?

Most people I've met are one or the other, even if they love all animals.

Do you think it ties in with being an extrovert/ introvert?

threexnanny Mon 07-Sep-20 12:21:11

I love both too, but like other posters I don't like the smell of dogs in the house and would hate to pick up poo!

TerriBull Mon 07-Sep-20 12:08:29

Well of course you can like both! I'm definitely much more of a cat person though, I'd have one again in a heartbeat, except it seems my entire family husband, both sons', grand daughter and one son's partner are allergic to them sad I love cats, I love their slightly snooty ways and the saying that goes with that "dogs have owners, cats have staff", although I do think they can be very loving and that isn't always related to food. I feel a cat is an easier pet, it just takes itself off for a walk.

To be a responsible owner of a dog it requires an ongoing commitment of daily walk/s otherwise the animal is being short changed. I haven't ever owned a dog but have had several in my life through friends. In my childhood a close friend had an Old English Sheepdog and he was wonderful to be around, endlessly patient with us whilst we did annoying things to him, like dress him up in our school berets and blazers blush and in my grown up years had friends who had a Samoyed who I occasionally had for a week-end or two, again a lovely natured dog, unfortunately was prone to skin infections and often had to wear the cone of shame sad Since the lockdown and more walking outside there have been occasions when I've eyed up the occasional dog with longing.

farview Sun 06-Sep-20 18:14:17

Definitely Dogs! ???

dinks13 Sun 06-Sep-20 18:13:28

Definitely dog. Feel so so lost and alone without 1. Love walking, but it really is just not the same without a dog.

Froglady Sun 06-Sep-20 18:10:13

I'm a dog person and would love to have my own but not allowed to where I live. A dog would help me so much mentally and give me the support that I need.

Chewbacca Sun 06-Sep-20 18:07:45

Cats all the way. Cats are so superior, in every way, to dogs. Dogs are more needy; make sure they're exercised, don't leave them on their own for too long, don't leave them outside too long or they'll bark incessantly and annoy the neighbours. They pull on their leash to try and sniff each other's bottoms.

Cats are more independent, they're not bothered whether you're there or not, just so long as you feed them when they expect it. You don't have to go out in the freezing cold late at night to give them a walk and a wee. They don't jump up and mither visitors, begging to be petted. They don't sit staring at you whilst you eat, begrudging you every mouthful. And cats don't try and hump your visitors legs the minute they walk in the door. ????

grannysyb Sun 06-Sep-20 17:56:14

Both, have had both, but nothing at the moment. We had a little ginger and white cat that my husband brought home in his pocket, someone walked in one day and said " I hear you want one of these " and produced her, she was about eight weeks old! We've also had Great Danes, most dogs and cats get on in their own homes. Our last dog was so perfect that we don't think another would be so wonderful!

SkyBird Sun 06-Sep-20 17:45:53

Definitely both. I am president of an animal charity here in Spain. I run the shops. I rarely go to the kennel/cattery as I want to bring them all home with me. We have two cats at the moment. When my DC were living at home we had everything from a Stick Insect to a one eyed snake. Our last dog was nearly nineteen when he died.

Grandmabatty Sun 06-Sep-20 17:22:44

I like cats but I'm really a dog lover. I've had three in the past and won't have another as I do feel they tie you down. I also don't fancy the walks in the dark and bad weather anymore. But I miss the companionship. Dogs are always pleased to see you.

TwiceAsNice Sun 06-Sep-20 17:21:38

Definitely cats I adore my little princess and she is spoilt rotten but so affectionate. I would never hurt a dog ( or any animal) but I don’t want one

phoenix Sun 06-Sep-20 17:18:45

Both, but currently just have 2 cats.

Have a hankering to get a Jack Russell type dog and call it Doris! blush

Chardy Sun 06-Sep-20 17:16:37

Both. Dog is currently sitting on the back of the sofa that I'm sitting on. Cats are ... somewhere

NotTooOld Sun 06-Sep-20 17:06:10

I like both but have never owned either in adult life. I dislike dogs that jump up at you and feel cross if the owner calls 'it's alright s/he won't hurt you'. I do feel there are some very bad dog owners around.

H1954 Sun 06-Sep-20 16:46:55

Neither for me! I'm very sensitive to cat hair, brings on breathing difficulties and cannot bring myself to pick up dog poo so owing a dog is out of the question!

We visited family just last week who have a large, very hairy, German shepherd cross and the house stinks! The dog doesn't wee or poo indoors but there's just this dreadful dog smell!

Many years ago I lent my vacuum cleaner to a neighbour who owned a Sheltie, her Hoover had packed up and there's only so much you can do with a ewbank. The first time I used the vacuum cleaner after she returned it our house stank of dog! It was dreadful! So, no dogs for me!

Yiayia4 Sun 06-Sep-20 16:41:50

I’m a cat lady but like dogs,Dh only likes cats but I would love to have a dog again! although we do look after my sons dalmatian sometimes he is quite a handful.

crazyH Sun 06-Sep-20 16:39:50

Neither .....one starts me off in a rash and the other is too much hard work.!

Poppyred Sun 06-Sep-20 16:36:19

Love both equally.

silverlining48 Sun 06-Sep-20 16:30:33

We have only ever had cats, but after walking so much these months and seeing people with their dogs we have just put our name down at Battersea. They may think we are too old as well as inexperienced, but will wait to hear from them.
We are looking fir a small/ medium dog which is hypoallergenic. The home is closed at present so will have to be patient.

Oopsminty Sun 06-Sep-20 15:34:45

Dogs, dogs, dogs.

sodapop Sun 06-Sep-20 15:29:46

Dogs all the way for me as well. I used to really dislike cats but my husband loves them so I got him a rescue cat, I tolerate the cat but don't feel the same love as I do for our three dogs.

Our cat is white with ginger tips on his ears so we called him Boris, that was several years ago before BJ became Prime Minister.

Ellianne Sun 06-Sep-20 15:25:45

Both, but dogs a little bit more. We are on our sixth dog and each one has had it's own special character.

MissAdventure Sun 06-Sep-20 15:13:28

I've always found dog walkers will say a cheery "hello" when I pass.
The thing is, are they cheery because of the dog, or do more cheery people get dogs?

seacliff Sun 06-Sep-20 15:11:11

I don't agree with the extrovert necessarily being the dog owner (assuming you meant it that way round). I know some dog owners who are quiet and introverted.

It is certainly true from what I've seen, that dog owners are always being chatted to and asked about their dogs by complete strangers (especially if it's a especially cute or unusual dog). A bit like a Mum with a new baby.

SueDonim Sun 06-Sep-20 14:59:08

Both. We’ve almost always had cats but have also had a couple of dogs over the years.

I can’t resist a friendly-looking dog when I’m out. I’m one of those ‘Is it okay to stroke your dog?’ people. blush

I find dogs are too needy and tying to want another one, though. I like cats’ independence although we have two ridiculously needy rescue cats that would sit on us 24/7 if allowed.

seacliff Sun 06-Sep-20 14:53:17

I love both but if I had to chose, I am a cat person. I have only had one dog, and loved the way she made me have to go out whatever the weather, twice a day. They are good for keeping you active, but they are very needy like children. I felt guilty if I came home late as I knew she would be waiting,

Cats are more aloof and affection is on their terms, but they are still very loving, if they choose you to be their person/slave.